Working Moms
Options

Best Tips for Returning Back to Work in 1 month?

Hi!  I'm working on a presentation for a corporate office about pregnancy, maternity leave, and new motherhood for working women.  Hoping you can all provide some insights!

I was hoping you could all share some "best practices" in terms of things to do to prepare for transitioning back (she's not into message boards so I offered to ask for her). 
1) What helped the transition? 
2) What should she be aware of? 
3) Was there anything you wish you knew ahead of time?
4) Did you job do anything to help you back (something she can request)?

She works a corporate job and will be returning full-time with no flex days.  She plans to pump, though her job doesn't (yet) have a place for her to do it.  Thanks in advance - I'm sure you all have lots of insights!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Best Tips for Returning Back to Work in 1 month?

• Options
    I did test runs for about a week or two before (get up and see how long it took to breastfeed, pump, dress LO and me and get out of the house. I also dropped LO off a little early to see how he did. As for pumping I am in sales so I had to do it in my car, or bathrooms when I traveled. Its a pain but doable (I did for over 9 months). Tell her to practice and do as much the night before.Meal plan and include DH to coordinate
  • Options
    thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Leave yourself ample time in the
    Morning and do as much as you can the night before. Also-- don't make any rash decisions the first 6 mos. that's how long it took for me to start having more good days than bad days . If there is any option at all for part time or work from home -- ask for it . It's one thing I don't have and wish I did .
  • Options
    You will need freezer meals and takeout just as much if not more than you did with a newborn.

I used to eat a snack in the car on the way home from work. Our evenings were so crazy that we didn't get to eat dinner until really late. It helped to not be starving when I walked in the door.

If you can spend a little money on something to make your life easier - do it! Get a house cleaner, grocery delivery, diaper auto shipments from Amazon, whatever. You can go back to bargain shopping later but your time is really valuable right now.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options

Here is a link for the Dept of Labor laws on nursing mothers. Your company will want to make sure that they are compliant.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs73.htm

• Options
    Personally I didn't need a "test run" or anything like that.  I just jumped right back into it.  What helped the transition was giving myself ample time in the morning to get ready and to prepare as much as possible at night.  

If she's breastfeeding she should make sure she's pumping OFTEN at work.  She will need uninterrupted pumping time in a nice private place.  She should schedule her pumping times and make sure nobody bothers her during that time. 

I wish I had known how easy it is for caregivers to overfeed a breastfed baby.  This happened with my first and I struggled to keep up.  I think my aunt was overfeeding her. 

Just a nice, quiet and private pumping location with NO interruptions while pumping!
  • Options
    My first week back I worked M,W,F and DH took half-days M and W so we slowly built up how much time DS spent at daycare.  I go BF DS twice a day because his daycare is less than 5 minutes from my office.

Exhaustion but what can you do?  Forgetting a pump part if she pumps.

Load the car the night before as much as possible.

Gave me an empty office to pump in and gives me a lot of flexibility with my time so I can go BF and pump.  Allowed me to come back every other day at first.
  • Options
    I couldn't do flex time either, and my job would never be officially PT, so I arranged my maternity leave so that I came back PT under our maternity leave policy.  We get 32 weeks of ML (unpaid - have to use sick time or PTO), so I was out FT 16 weeks and then was back PT for the last 16 weeks.  It helped tremendously.

That no matter how much you plan, it can feel overwhelming at first.

That the initial feeling of I can't do this, don't want to work at all anymore and leave my child, etc definitely fades after a couple weeks and you start to get back into the groove.

They were just really understanding about the transition back.  Understood initially if I was a few minutes late because I was still working on how to make my mornings work...things like that.  That's nothing you can request though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"