Toddlers: 24 Months+

3 year old and cats-NEED advice.

Kind of at my wits end with this issue. We have 2 cats. One of them is very calm and independent, the other is outgoing and crazy at times. Both are nice and very tolerant. Both females.
My son is 3 1/2 years old currently.  He knows how to nicely pet them, but rarely does it. He always wants to chase them. Sometimes he will sit on them, kick them, smack them, whatever. We just don't allow him near the cats now cause even when he starts off petting nice, he turns nasty when we turn our backs for 1 second. He will literally be up their asses and follow them around the house for hours on end. Makes a mess trying to chase them.
We have tried time outs, tried spankings, tried taking stuff away, and tried simply explaining it to him. NOTHING works. I don't want to just cage these cats all day long, and I can't exactly gate him in his room all day long. He wasn't always like this to them, but he has been "finding himself" lately and has turned super rebellious. 
Currently I just watch closely, and tell him to get away from the cats when he gets near them. I say this over 100 times a day, no exaggeration. He's not getting it, and some times I want to pull my hair out and scream. 
The cats do have places to go where he can't get them, but they both like to hang out in the common area around my SO and I, which is around DS as well.

ANY advice is appreciated!
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
Jase Eli-3/10/14

Re: 3 year old and cats-NEED advice.

• What about one of those tall cat tower things? This way they can be close to your guys, but be too high for your DS to bother them. Sorry I don't have any advise for dealing with your DS. 
  • I like the idea of a book, either the one posted above or you can write your own social story (look up writing social stories or even buy one of the awesome apps that allows you to very easily put pictures of your lo together with your own text and make a book). Say things like kitty's like to be touched like this and kitty's don't like that, it hurts when..... Mommy and daddy are so proud of me when I play nicely with our kitty's. etc. and read it to him a ton. What works with him for other behavioral issues? How is he with other kids or babies?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • cpmichcpmich member
    edited November 2013
    Also, don't cage the cat. The only punishment should be to the child. Warning, then beloved toy gets a time out or no dessert later etc. Happens again, lose toy for rest of day. If that doesn't work up the ante until you take ALL the toys away. This is a power struggle, but torturing the pets is an absolute probition in this house. I am assuming your cats don't have claws that provide their own natural consequences here.

As for just following the cats around or chasing them, that would be no big deal here. It sounds like he might be bored. Is he getting enough exercise? Brain engaged by new books? Too much screen time?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"