Working Moms
Options

NWMR Best Tablet for Children

I'm thinking of buying our 7-year-old his own tablet for Christmas so throw out some ideas on which are good ones.  Is it better to get one specifically geared towards children or go with just a regular one?  He's not getting an iPad - I'm not willing to spend that much money on a 7-year-old.  He'd end up sharing it with his 4-year-old sister so something somewhat durable and with some parental controls would be good.  We have a Kindle Fire (first generation) and I'm less than impressed. 

Does anyone have the newest LeapPad?

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

Re: NWMR Best Tablet for Children

• Options

We let DD use DH's Kindle Fire (second generation) and I think it's okay.  Have you tried the Kindle FreeTime, its got books, videos, games specifically geared toward children (you put in your childs age).  I am interested in what other tablets people like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jf198400 said:

We let DD use DH's Kindle Fire (second generation) and I think it's okay.  Have you tried the Kindle FreeTime, its got books, videos, games specifically geared toward children (you put in your childs age).  I am interested in what other tablets people like.

I actually just found out about Kindle FreeTime so I need to look at that.  My big gripe with my Kindle is that the charger port is super sensitive so it's a pain to get it to charge and it just seems slow.  I have thought about just getting the charger port fixed and handing it over to my kids as I barely use it.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't recommend the LeapPad.  The software choices just aren't competitive (in variety or pricing) with an android tablet or an iPad.
  • Options
    SoMoNYSoMoNY member
    edited October 2013
    My son got an iPad Mini last Nov and he loves it.  Loves his train apps as much as the counting and ABC apps.

We put it in a case and have had zero problems with it.

In fact, currently debating getting myself the new mini or iPad air after being exposed to his Mini.

By boss got his daughter a nexus tablet and while not as nice as an iPad he says it gets the job done.  
  • Options
    I wouldn't recommend the LeapPad.  The software choices just aren't competitive (in variety or pricing) with an android tablet or an iPad.

^^ this, there is so many more apps for iPad, nook tablet, and kindle fire (and the apps are free/cheap) that it really doesn't pay to get a leap pad. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"