Did anyone do diagnostic: CVS/Amnio — The Bump
Multiples

Did anyone do diagnostic: CVS/Amnio

Did anyone opt to do diagnostic testing rather than screening (like the NT scan and quad screen)? I just did screening for DD but feel like I just need to know this time around, with a bit more certainty. DH is concerned about the risks involved. I have an appointment for tomorrow for a CVS, but am now starting to ahve second thoughts because DH is so nervous about it. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Did anyone do diagnostic: CVS/Amnio

  • I opted out of all of them because I felt that there was already enough anxiety involved with a twin pregnancy. At 16 weeks they found a calcium deposit in K's heart (sometimes an indicator of Downs) but, since I had no risk factors and the spot could be harmless, my MFM didn't think it was anything of concern. He did mention there is increased risk of miscarriage after an amnio for a twin pregnancy.

    Can you talk to your OB about what they'd recommend based on your medical history and what the potential risks to your babies are? Ultimately you have to weigh the risks against your need to know.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.
    image

    imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • I did a CVS and they had to do one trans-vaginal and one trans-abdominal. It was hard, I had cramping and some spotting for 2 days after, but the news that we had a healthy boy and girl 2 weeks later made my whole pregnancy and mindset so much easier. I was 37 so CVS was recommended. I requested a doctor that performed twin CVS tests regularly so I felt confident in his abilities. I also rested for 2 days after - that was very important.
    ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

    MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

    Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!


    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I opted out of all. All 21 1/2 weeks, everything still looks good!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Check out my blog: http://blondheimtwins.blogspot.com/

     

     

  • I opted out of everything as well.  My DH and I sat through the whole presentation about it and both agreed that one way or the other we wouldn't terminate the pregnancy.  Since they can't do anything to fix any problems they might find, we decided that the risks were too much for us, we would take life as it came when the twins arrive.

     

    I totally agree with the PP that it is a very personal decision as to how much anxiety not knowing vs knowing will cause you.  Good luck <3

    image

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers


    CafeMom Tickers
    image
  • I had an amnio at 18 weeks due to my ag (39 at time of birth). Everything went fine. I took the day off work but I was more or less back to regular activity the next day. No spotting or cramping. I chose amnio over CVS because it is lower risk. I was already nervous enough about all of the complications that can come with twins that I wanted to have the peace of mind that there were no genetic issues - and if there were I wanted to be able to prepare accordingly. To be honest, the pregnancy didn't seem completely real until I got my amnio results back and found out everything was fine. Good luck in your decision.

    6 year old daughter

    Fraternal boys born on May 11, 2013 at 36 weeks 4 days

  • Missi576 said:

    I opted out of everything as well.  My DH and I sat through the whole presentation about it and both agreed that one way or the other we wouldn't terminate the pregnancy.  Since they can't do anything to fix any problems they might find, we decided that the risks were too much for us, we would take life as it came when the twins arrive.

     

    I totally agree with the PP that it is a very personal decision as to how much anxiety not knowing vs knowing will cause you.  Good luck <3

    This. I personally wouldn't do it if you weren't considering termination (risks seem high just to know for sure, you can get an idea and prepare with screaning alone).
    We would have considered termination so we did do the amino, with an experienced provider and all was fine, no regrets from having done it.



    IB113
  • I had an amnio at 18 weeks due to my ag (39 at time of birth). Everything went fine. I took the day off work but I was more or less back to regular activity the next day. No spotting or cramping. I chose amnio over CVS because it is lower risk. I was already nervous enough about all of the complications that can come with twins that I wanted to have the peace of mind that there were no genetic issues - and if there were I wanted to be able to prepare accordingly. To be honest, the pregnancy didn't seem completely real until I got my amnio results back and found out everything was fine. Good luck in your decision.
    I decided to do it and had the CVS. And my thoughts/reasoning was partly the same as yours. it went smoothly, a little cramping, but it's gone now and no spotting or anything else. Based on the genetic counseling, age, family history, etc. My "odds" were higher than I was suspecting which is why I started considering doing it. I'm glad I did it and will know by 14 weeks if we have other things to worry about. It was definitely a hard decision and the doctor who performed it was very skilled and has been doing CVS' and Amnios for a long time and is the guy who does multiples at our hospital so I felt like I was in great hands. 

    Thank you all for your input. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB said I didn't need a CVS based on other testing, and I opted out of an amnio. Like your DH, I was too worried about the risks. And the way I looked at it, if an amnio did show an issue, there was nothing we could do about it. We were going to love the babies no matter what.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards