Breastfeeding
Options

fussy nursing

He was doing this a few weeks ago but now it's back. He's popping off and on the breast. It's not gas, I've waited that out. I don't think it has anything to do with my letdown. He's not distracted because there is nothing to be distracted by, only dim lights. He drinks a bit, then turns his head down towards the nursing pillow for a second and then opens wide to latch again. This goes on for a while. I end up having to switch breasts a few times before he finally stays on for a while. I hope he's just efficient now and getting the hind milk because often my feeds are pretty short now, like 10-15minutes. However, when he is drinking it sounds like he's really guzzling and I can even hear it hit his tummy!  Nevermind nursing in public with the cover, he is too interested in pulling the cover down and looking around. Ah!!

What could be causing this? I believe he is teething, could this be it? His noes is a bit stuffy but not plugged.  I hope this passes again soon because my nipples are VERY sore and it's becoming really frustrating for both of us.

Re: fussy nursing

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thanks. Good ideas. He's 4.5months. 

I'm pretty sure he's not distracted, he's not even looking at the light, he's looking down into the pillow. I think that you're probably right, he's actually not that hungry. I've been instructed by doc to up his feeds as he hit a weight plateau so I'm definitely offering before he seems truly hungry. The only other way I can get him to eat more is to dream feed or wake him from naps but that hasn't been working well either. I shit you not, he's less interested the next day if we dream feed so we are no further ahead! (and he doesn't fall back asleep after, he can sometimes be awake for up to 2 hours) Waking from naps only leads to a cranky overtired baby. We are meeting with her tomorrow at which point I'll tell her that it isn't working. I need to go by his schedule. Obviously this is a whole other issue but other than the number on the scale everything is great and his lack of weight gain isn't holding him back so basically I need to stop stressing about trying to nurse him more often. 

On the other hand, even when I know he is hungry, he's not too fond of the left side. He seems to always want to have the meal on the right and dessert on the left! Little monkey. The right is a better producer.

Football does not work too well for us! But I will definitely try a different holding position on my left and I'm going to try that frozen wash cloth too. Thanks for the recommendations!! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's pretty normal for a bf baby's weight to plateau between 4-6months. I'm surprised your pedi told you to up his feeds.
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/10/13 M/C 6/12/12
    BFP#2 9/28/12 EDD 6/5/13 J.B. born 6/6/13

Anniversary

• Options
    amberdt03 said:
    It's pretty normal for a bf baby's weight to plateau between 4-6months. I'm surprised your pedi told you to up his feeds.
    I know. I even asked her about this and she did not agree. I was surprised. She had 4 babies of her own !   All the medical professionals have different advice. I think mother's intuition has to trump. 

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"