Secondary IF

meds arrived today

breeanne1974breeanne1974 member
edited October 2013 in Secondary IF

So all my medication arrived today and I'm flabbergasted by the amount of medications and syringes I found in this huge box. I know of 2 women personally who have gone through IVF and my heart hurts they actually did this many times. As I take the next step in this journey with my first IVF cycle (if AF will ever come), I truly wish I had known what they were really going through emotionally, physically, and mentally. Just like many other experiences, we will never know someone else's pain and suffering until we are there ourselves. All we can do is do our best to be supportive and be a good listener - which doesn't seem like enough EVER. 

I can't even fathom the financial strain for those who are completely 100% OOP. I'm blown away by my receipt.

Some include their protocol and thought I would include what I am about to start. I'd be interested to know what side effects, if any, you have experienced. 

Menopur, Gonal-f RFF Pen 900, Ganirelix 250mcg, baby Asprin, Gonal-f RFF Pen 300, Z Pak, Novarel, Progestrone in Sesame Oil 

Best wishes and baby dust to all.

Don't hump it, Love it! 

Happily married since Feb 2010, Sweet DD born Oct 2010, 39 years old, blocked tube, low . 09 AMH and high 21 FSH

It's not him, it's me!

September 2013 failed IUI - left blocked tube

November 2013 IVF - premature ovulation converted to IUI 

December 2013 "We were <are> on a break!!!" ~ Friends homage

November 2013 protocol: Menopur, Gonal-f RFF Pen 900, Ganirelix 250mcg, baby Asprin, Gonal-f RFF Pen 300, Z Pak, Novarel, Progestrone in Sesame Oil

Re: meds arrived today

• I went through ivf to conceive dd and it was totally oop. Now we will start ivf #2 praying for one more lo. This ivf will be oop also. It's not easy draining your savings praying you take home a baby. Fx crossed your ivf gets you a take home baby. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AF came today. I'm calling the RE as soon as they open!!!

Don't hump it, Love it! 

Happily married since Feb 2010, Sweet DD born Oct 2010, 39 years old, blocked tube, low . 09 AMH and high 21 FSH

It's not him, it's me!

November 2013 protocol: Menopur, Gonal-f RFF Pen 900, Ganirelix 250mcg, baby Asprin, Gonal-f RFF Pen 300, Z Pak, Novarel, Progestrone in Sesame Oil

• Loading the player...
  • Yea, it is a lot of meds but the more you do it, the easier it becomes. 

I'm on a different protocol, so I can't tell you about those meds- you can always check the PAIF/SAIF boards for their experiences, they're much bigger boards. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • AF came today. I'm calling the RE as soon as they open!!!
    I'm starting my period today too, so we're on a pretty similar cycle- but I don't start my stims until the 4th. I wonder how the cycles will compare? 

Good luck. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • All I can tell you about your meds, is go slow with the menopur, when you are injecting it - it can burn.  The ganirelix will get red, itch and raise up at the injection sites and last about an hour.  HOWEVER, it isn't really painful, just more annoying.  I am 100% OOP and it hurts, everywhere when they tell you the price, and ask for your CC#. It hurts your head, your heart and your savings.  

GOOD LUCK!!! Keep us updated! 

• I took all of those meds too, well except baby aspirin. I still have a picture on my phone of them spread out on the counter the day they came. Whoa!!!! 

We were 100% OOP, ya do what ya have to do! Luckily it worked on try #1 and we have 3 guys on ice for next time.

Good luck!

TTC for 1.5 years with a crappy RE. 12 cycles with clomid (11 too many)
    New RE, 3 failed IUI's moving to IVF with ICSI
    IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Induced week 39 due to severe GD
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

TTC #2 2 failed IUI's moving on to FET 3/2014
    ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!

• breeanne1974breeanne1974 member
    edited October 2013

Mrs Castillo - I start injections on Saturday the 2nd, depending on my 3 day blood work results (hope they are good). They tentatively have retrieval scheduled for the 13th and transfer for the 16th or 18th.

It will be interesting to compare our experiences.

Best of luck to us both!

Don't hump it, Love it! 

It's not him, it's me!

•  
    All I can tell you about your meds, is go slow with the menopur, when you are injecting it - it can burn.  The ganirelix will get red, itch and raise up at the injection sites and last about an hour.  HOWEVER, it isn't really painful, just more annoying.  I am 100% OOP and it hurts, everywhere when they tell you the price, and ask for your CC#. It hurts your head, your heart and your savings.  

GOOD LUCK!!! Keep us updated! 
    Thank you for tips about the meds. I really appreciate that.

Don't hump it, Love it! 

It's not him, it's me!

• I'm sorry I couldn't help with any of the meds. The only thing I remember is putting an ice pack on my bum before MH gave me the shot. I don't remember a whole lot about the others, except that some burned a little but I can't remember which ones. For those of you girls that are OOP, my ART nurse gave me coupons for gonal f. It was like $300 off. They get them from the drug reps. Never hurts to ask.

IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!

• I'm sorry I couldn't help with any of the meds. The only thing I remember is putting an ice pack on my bum before MH gave me the shot. I don't remember a whole lot about the others, except that some burned a little but I can't remember which ones. For those of you girls that are OOP, my ART nurse gave me coupons for gonal f. It was like $300 off. They get them from the drug reps. Never hurts to ask.

I've heard ice is a must for the progesterone shots!! Thank you!

Don't hump it, Love it! 

It's not him, it's me!

• We were OOP for our first IVF, but through a med exchange program I got all my meds except for about $600 worth.  IVF 2 (whenever that is) is partially covered.  Meds, u/s, bloodwork are covered and we have to pay for the retrieval, transfer and sedation meds.  MUCH easier pill to swallow.  It would be nice to have it all covered!

I had menopur (it BURNS if you go too fast, as someone above mentioned) and Gonal F pen (no side effects that I remember).  The PIO is pretty painful.  I'd ice your butt before for a few days until you get used to it.  You'll get painful-ish knots at the injection sites and sometimes they can be itchy.  Its not a big deal once you get used to those, but they are def the hardest shot in the bunch.  I didn't think the stims were bad at all.  Good luck! 

B/G twins born 3.22.11
    TTC #3
    M/C 10.26.13 @ 6w2d

• Thank you for the tips.

When I talked with the nurse today I mentioned I had some Dermaplast from when I had my first baby and she said, "use it!" So I'll try that and the ice.

Don't hump it, Love it! 

It's not him, it's me!

• Owwwww I forgot about the PIO knots. I got those bad. A heating pad on very low for a short period helped a bit.

IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!