August 2013 Moms
Options

Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit

Fair warning - my husband and I are kind of gadget / gimmick people. We like to try stuff. We can't help it.

My LO, who enjoyed being swaddled from about 1 week old until now, suddenly started to hate being swaddled.

We have the Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit from DD1 who loved the darn thing. (I just found the review I typed from my last BMB saved on my computer.) I decided to try it on this little one after 5 days of fussing about naps and fussing about going down for the night and waking every 1.5-2 hours overnight, she slept for 5 hours for the first time (with the exception of when she got her 2 month shots and was sick.) I forgot how much I love the darn thing.

Don't get me wrong. It is expensive and extravagant, and probably totally unnecessary for some/most people, but it saved my life with my first and so far seems to be doing the same thing with the second.

Here is  the website: https://www.magicsleepsuit.com/collections/all

My 1st was a reflux baby and my 2nd seems to be outgrowing her colic now. I remember when I ordered this saying to my husband, "It is so expensive, but I would pay someone $100 for a full night's sleep right now!" so I still consider it a good investment. ;)

Re: Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit

• Options
    I was looking into getting one, but you can't use them on a baby that knows how to roll :(

• Options
    Zever000 said:
    I was looking into getting one, but you can't use them on a baby that knows how to roll :(
    My DD1 could roll for quite awhile before we stopped using it. The suit prevented her from rolling in her sleep. They are really weird. It kept her on her back until she was 6 months at night. :)

I guess that is the curse of an early roller. Can't use a suit! ;)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Zever000

You may want to call them and see what they say because the suit goes up to 6 months and another suit for 6-9 months is available. I believe the issue is when the baby is rolling IN the suit. I got this off their website:

"If my baby has started to roll over in the Magic Sleepsuit, should I transition him/her out of it?
    Yes.  The Magic Sleepsuit is designed for back sleeping in the crib. It is not to be used for tummy sleeping.  If your baby has started to roll over in the Magic Sleepsuit while sleeping, then it is time to transition him or her out of it.  This is typically a sign that babies are ready for the next stage of having more movement in their sleep."

DD1 started rolling at around 3.5 months and she was in the suit until just over 6 months. The company is super easy to get a hold of for questions and issues.

• Options
    @BellaOso
    I gotcha. So if they can roll over while sleeping IN the suit then discontinue its use. But I suppose it's heavy enough to keep them on their back while they're this little.
    Hmm, I'll ask H. I'm just like you, I love trying out gimmicks. I doubt he'd go for it though. :(

• Options
    janneann1127janneann1127 member
    edited October 2013
    We just got that! I'm anxious to try it out but it's just been too warm here and I wasn't sure if he'd overheat. Finally cooled down this week.. Maybe we will try tonight! What do you put on underneath?
  • Options
    This looks like nothing I have seen before, how exactly does it work
  • Options

I have never heard of it. It's so cute! TY for the link.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    I am a sucker for gimmicks and have been totally planning on buying one of those soon!

• Options
    We just got that! I'm anxious to try it out but it's just been too warm here and I wasn't sure if he'd overheat. Finally cooled down this week.. Maybe we will try tonight! What do you put on underneath?
    We just put on a short sleeved onesie. when it gets cold, socks and little pants. We are in Northern California and it doesn't get to cold. We do have toddler who will not use a blanket so we use AC or heating a lot to keep our house and appropriate temperature for sleeping in fleece but thin jammies with no blanket. Honestly we used it on DD1 when it was summer and we had the AC on and she was totally fine. The stuff it is filled with is pretty good at helping regulate them from getting too terribly hot.

I will be interested to see if you like it or not. My DH and I swear by them and I know a few girls from my previous BMB tried them and loved them, but I also know some didn't. Definitely not a cure all for everyone, but man it sure has been for us.

Tonight my LO who normally takes quite a bit of cajoling to get to sleep at night just drifted off already. Calm and happy. Not a peep of fussy and she is a pretty high maintenance girl at bedtime. Yay!

• Options
    Ffrey1119 said:
    This looks like nothing I have seen before, how exactly does it work
    It muffles the startle reflex so they don't wake themselves up but without needing the swaddle. Here is a link to how they came up with it:

https://www.magicsleepsuit.com/pages/about-magic-sleepsuit

• Options
    I am a sucker for gimmicks and have been totally planning on buying one of those soon!
    Yay! I will be interested to see what you think of it.

It has been a life saver in our house. When we first got it in the mail, we were kind of like, "This is stupid!" but then we believed! The first night with DD1 sucked. The second night we got 6 hours first stretch and 3 hours second stretch. The third night she started to STTN. It was fantastic.

• Options
    Mine should be delivered tomorrow and I'm hoping it is a miracle for DS. I'm so excited at the possibility of getting some sleep and have been cursing myself every night since I ordered it for not getting express shipping! I'll report back how it works for him - he currently can't sleep longer than an hour unless he's in his swing and cannot seem to calm down and stop fighting his swaddle but can't sleep without it. It has been a rough 12 weeks!
  • Options
    Mine should be delivered tomorrow and I'm hoping it is a miracle for DS. I'm so excited at the possibility of getting some sleep and have been cursing myself every night since I ordered it for not getting express shipping! I'll report back how it works for him - he currently can't sleep longer than an hour unless he's in his swing and cannot seem to calm down and stop fighting his swaddle but can't sleep without it. It has been a rough 12 weeks!
    Just so you know - it may take a couple of nights, so don't get discouraged it it is not suddenly back to back STTN. My DD1 took a night, DD2 loved it instantly after a few days fighting the swaddle, but for some it takes longer.

I really hope it works for you. :) I'll look forward to an update!

I really hope it work

• Options
    We bought it for my first colicky baby who never slept and he hated it. I would have paid $1,000 for 3 straight hours of sleep lol. I'll have to try it with my second as I'm trying to wean her from the swaddle.
  • Options
    What exactly does it "do"?  It just looks like a snow suit to me... Is there stiff material in it or something?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    BellaOso said:

Just so you know - it may take a couple of nights, so don't get discouraged it it is not suddenly back to back STTN. My DD1 took a night, DD2 loved it instantly after a few days fighting the swaddle, but for some it takes longer.

I really hope it works for you. :) I'll look forward to an update!

I really hope it work
    I'm willing to give it a fair shot. Even if he still wakes up every hour at least I won't be strapping him into his swaddle blanket that he hates! I really think it will help him though.
  • Options
    What exactly does it "do"?  It just looks like a snow suit to me... Is there stiff material in it or something?
    The inside material is a soft cotton, and it is lightly filled, so it muffles the startle reflex and baby can sleep comfortably without waking themselves up without the need of a swaddle. It is great for babies transitioning out of a swaddle, or who fight the swaddle like mine. It allows them to move without moving so much they wake themselves before they are ready.

It is also great for transitioning babies out of bassinets or rock n plays into more spacious cribs as they still feel secure and snuggled overnight. I gave one to a friend who had to hold her baby in order for him to sleep and this got him out of her arms for naps and eventually overnight.

It's just another "thing" like the "swaddle me" or "miracle blanket". When my DD1 had used it for a few weeks you could just show it to her and she would yawn and be ready to go down. She loved it.

It's not for everyone - but for those of us who swaddles have stopped working for it's another step. :)

• Options
    I'm a believer, too. I have one.

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • Options
    I've used it for one nap and put DS down for bed in it a little over an hour ago and I'm already a believer. It made it SO much easier for him to fall asleep, and he's sleeping in his pack n play instead of his swing! About 45 minutes after I put him down tonight he woke up crying. All I had to do was go over to the pack n play and jiggle the bassinet part a little and he fell back to sleep. Normally I would be holding him and patting, swaying, bouncing, shushing, and walking all at once to get him to calm down and go back to sleep and then I'd have to try to put him back down. I'll update in the morning with how the rest of the night went.
  • Options
    I want one, but DH is hesitant to spend the money right now since I've bought so many swaddles that didn't end up working and were a waste..
  • Options
    k4maynes said:
    I want one, but DH is hesitant to spend the money right now since I've bought so many swaddles that didn't end up working and were a waste..
    Just a suggestion - sell the swaddles on Craigslist or at a consignment sale to pay for the suit. :) That is what we did to "pay ourselves back" for the purchase of a second one. I sold a brand new woomby, 2 miracle blankets, and 4 swaddle mes and 2 cheapy wrap type things at our local consignment shop and covered it.

• Options
    BellaOso said:
    k4maynes said:
    Just a suggestion - sell the swaddles on Craigslist or at a consignment sale to pay for the suit. :) That is what we did to "pay ourselves back" for the purchase of a second one. I sold a brand new woomby, 2 miracle blankets, and 4 swaddle mes and 2 cheapy wrap type things at our local consignment shop and covered it.

That is GENIUS! Thank you so much!!
  • Options
    DS and I are up for the day. Last night he went down easily at 8:15, then woke up crying at 9 and I was able to settle him back to sleep without picking him up. Then he woke at 12:24, fed him and he was passed out before I could get him back in his bed. He woke again at 3:26 and once again, quick feed and back to sleep. He woke for the day at 7:22. We would have gone back to sleep but while I was feeding him he had a major blowout in his sleep suit and I had to throw it in the wash. Thinking I'll put a cloth diaper cover over his diaper if I ever have him sleep in his suit in disposables again just in case!

It probably doesn't sound like a great night, but DS almost always wakes every 2 hours, especially after that first wakeup, and he never sleeps more than an hour unless he's in the swing. I think the Magic Sleepsuit is amazing. DS was able to fall asleep so easily and felt cuddled enough to sleep soundly even on a flat surface. I'm sure he'll start sleeping better and better with it's help!
  • Options
    Have you tried it with naps during the day yet?  You've almost got me sold on this!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image mother quotes photo: love mother 132.gif

• Options
    @youtubebeauties

Yes. It works great for naps. :) She took a 3 hour nap yesterday.

We got 7 hours straight last night. I feel like a new woman.

I think some babies love it, but some don't. She started fighting the swaddle so we pulled it out and she was a happy camper. For her the results were immediate - I don't know if it works that fast for everyone but man I love this suit. Like a lot.

• Options
    BellaOso said:
    The inside material is a soft cotton, and it is lightly filled, so it muffles the startle reflex and baby can sleep comfortably without waking themselves up without the need of a swaddle. It is great for babies transitioning out of a swaddle, or who fight the swaddle like mine. It allows them to move without moving so much they wake themselves before they are ready.

It is also great for transitioning babies out of bassinets or rock n plays into more spacious cribs as they still feel secure and snuggled overnight. I gave one to a friend who had to hold her baby in order for him to sleep and this got him out of her arms for naps and eventually overnight.

It's just another "thing" like the "swaddle me" or "miracle blanket". When my DD1 had used it for a few weeks you could just show it to her and she would yawn and be ready to go down. She loved it.

It's not for everyone - but for those of us who swaddles have stopped working for it's another step. :)

Neat :) our LO is fine with the swaddle, but I always like to look and new/different things as they come out.  I've never heard of these.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    How is that any different than a pair of jammies?
    image image

• Options
    Soleil3 said:

How is that any different than a pair of jammies?

It is really thick - feels almost like a comforter to me - so it makes it hard for them to bend their arms and legs and muffles their movement.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"