Working Moms

brushing teeth in the morning

Hoping all your working moms can help DH and I settle a major disagreement in our household.  I think that we should do everything we can do with both girls upstairs (dressed, hair and tooth brushing, etc.) before going downstairs for breakfast so we can quickly finish breakfast and then head out the door. DH thinks we should do everything except for brushing teeth, which should be done after breakfast, and then we can come back down and put on sneakers (since we don't wear sneakers upstairs). 

I know it's not much, but it seems like I'm herding cattle trying to get both girls upstairs to brush teeth and then dealing with all that goes along with trying to get a 4 year old to do what you want them to do when we have to come down and put on sneakers.  it just seems so much easier to just brush before breakfast and then being done with it. 

So what do you all do in the morning? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: brushing teeth in the morning

• Well, our bedrooms are on the same level as the kitchen, so that makes a difference.  But DD brushes after breakfast, mainly because if she brushes before she will freak out that everything tastes funny and refuse to eat at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dd only has 6 teeth thus far, but I'm in the camp of brushing after breakfast.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We brush after breakfast.  Do you have a bathroom downstairs you could keep toothbrushes in?

This.  We have a half bathroom downstairs.  That's what I would do and brush after breakfast.
  • Brushing teeth is the very last thing I do with DS before we walk out the door.  Our house is small and one story, so it's pretty easy because his bathroom attaches to the living room.

I also vote for brushing teeth in a downstairs bathroom.  I'd even buy separate toothbrush and toothpaste for ease.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Ha! DH and I just had this exact same debate, but I am on the side of brush after breakfast. DD already has a cavity so I want to brush AFTER breakfast. But, as you noted, that often just doesn't happen b/c we are rushing and running late and it takes too long. So, his point is that before breakfast is better than not at all. 

I prefer after breakfast, but whatever works for you is better than nothing.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • AgoAgo member
    I've heard you need to brush before breakfast if you eat/drink anything acidic with breakfast.  Otherwise the acid softens the enamel and then the toothbrush damages the enamel. 
    University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• I'm a before breakfast brusher, because I hate morning breath, and just want to do all my bathroom stuff at once, and my H is an after breakfast brusher. In your case, I'd say whoever is in charge of getting them ready in the morning wins. If you are the one herding them up and down, then you can have them do it first. If he wants them to do it after breakfast, he takes care of it.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• I personally of am the camp that brushing is brushing. Do what you have to do to get them brushed before you get out the door, whether its before breakfast or after. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Nechie122Nechie122 member
    edited October 2013
    I'm about 50/50. Usually, DH and DD have breakfast together while I get dressed, and then I get her ready (including tooth brushing). That's on a good day. But she's a toddler and sometimes she gives him a hard time about eating, in which case I have to get her dressed AND fed. On those days, I'm lucky to get a few spoonfuls of cereal in her as I'm putting her socks and shoes on; sometimes it's a pouch in the car. Those are not good days. Tooth brushing is wherever I can fit it in.

Oh, and about 5% of the time I probably forget to brush her teeth altogether and have to do it in the car seat. So I'm team whatever gets you through the day.
  • We usually brush before. DD manages to get toothpaste and/or water all over herself almost every morning. She brushes right after she gets up, then gets dressed, hair, shoes, breakfast, out the door.
  • We brush teeth during the getting ready process/while upstairs.  Then go downstairs and have breakfast last.  I agree, I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of going back upstairs after breakfast.  Those little things make a difference :)
    Photoset 15 of 15

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Technically, I'm on the boat of brushing teeth after eating, however, I don't follow my own advice. My kids get dressed, fix hair and brush teeth. Then we are off to DC/PS where they are fed a snack like fruit. I drop them off 2 hrs before breakfast is served. I vote multiple toothbrushes on both levels of the house for easy access. Actually, I do this too.
  • I brush my own teeth before breakfast, so kids do the same. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• mrskelly731mrskelly731 member
    edited October 2013

I brush as soon as I wake up, before breakfast.  DD doesn't eat breakfast at home, she waits for daycare.  We brush her hair and teeth very last before walking out the door so I'd be in the camp of brushing after breakfast I think - that's just because of the routine we already have.

ETA - clarification.

Husband and Wife 2010
    DD 12.2010
    TTC #2 Since Aug 2012
    DX PCOS 7.25.13
    Started Metformin 7.2013
    DH SA results 6.19.14 - Too few normal sperm
    8.13.14 - SURPRISE BFP - EDD 3/30/14 Based on LMP
    MMC 9/24/14, D&C 9/25/14 13w3d, Measured at 7w4d

3.14.15 BFP #3 - EDD 11/11/15 based on LMP
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board