September 2013 Moms
Options

6week growth spurt weight gain

I had my baby weighed today, she is 6.5 weeks and gained 2 pounds in 2 weeks! The nurse said that's A LOT to gain in 2 weeks. She was born 6.8 pounds and now weighs 10.10 pounds! She is breastfed and I feed on demand but she also comfort nurses.. I have to wait and see what her next gain is in 2weeks at her 2 month appointment before assuming she is gaining too much.

What are your LO's weight gain like after the 6 week spurt?

Re: 6week growth spurt weight gain

• Options
    Just curious if the nurse/doctor seemed to think you should do something differently or what- I'm in the same boat.

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son was the same weight at birth and at his appt last week as yours but we're going through the growth spurt now. His pedi said his weight gain was fine as long as its consistent with the percentages prior. He's also EBF
  • Options
    The nurse told me to stop comfort nursing basically, and to pay more attention to hunger cues rather than just putting her to the breast right away. I asked her if it's possible to gain too much and she said yes, but this was at our local drop in place not her actual doctors office so I'm going to mention it to her doctor and see how she feels about it.
  • Options
    She also said babies should be gaining between 4-8 oz a week.
  • Options

Breastfed babies can not gain too much and can not overeat. Don't change a thing

This is what I've always heard as well from both my pediatrician and my lactation consultant . Breast fed babies will spit up when then over eat.
    TTC since October 22, 2012
    BFP January 11, 2013
    Kellan James Patrick was born September 28, 2013
  • Options
    That's what I've been told too so I was never concerned about her comfort nursing, assuming she would stop and she does stop when she seems full.. But the nurse seemed kind of shocked about her weight gain. I'm gonna hope it was just this one crazy spurt of growth than she'll be back to gaining 4-8 oz a week..
  • Options
    DD was 6.9 at birth and at 1 week. She was 8.12 at 4 weeks. So 2 lbs in three weeks. The nurse has to double check it because her computer told her it was too much. But the doc said it was fine and she was great on the growth charts.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    She had her 8 week apt today and gained 4 pounds 4 ounces since birth. Pedi said its not possible to over feed right now to not worry.
  • Options
    My LO has gained 5 lbs from his lowest. He is 8 weeks today. 13.5 lbs. not one person is concerned.

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

imageimage
  • Options
    At two months LO has gained over 4 lbs. the shocker for us was length, 4 inches in 6 weeks. The nurse said that it was likely due to LO stretching out more and their inaccurate measuring.

BF babies can't over eat if you are feeding on demand, paying attention to cues, and don't force them to eat 24/7 (even if it feels that way).
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Very similar to us! She was 6 lb 10 oz at birth and Monday at 7w6d she was 10 lb 14 oz (with diaper though). The doctor said "She's huge, we definitely don't have to worry about her gaining!" Lol. She went from the 19% to 61%!

I don't plan to change a thing. I don't think it's unusual for BF babies to gain more quickly and be a little chunkier as babies.
    Due September 4th! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DS gained 4 lbs and grew 3" from birth to two months and is EBF. His pedi was very happy with it and told me I'm doing great and to not change a thing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    How do you do it?!  At our two month yesterday, DD was 10lbs, up 2 from birth and 2 pounds 12 oz from her lowest.  I am feeding her 10 times a day at least and letting her eat as long as she wants.

I know every baby gains differently and mine is apparently just petite but I just want some rolls!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"