Special Needs

Transition factor: Is this all my fault?

Ok so we moved on the first of the month; better emotional situation as DD and I are not with my folks who do not believe in her diagnosis of SPD, dysphagia with altered diet, delays across the board, however high functioning, possible mitochondrial disease, and what is thought to be OCD with some behavior issues added in.

So we are on our own - just mommy and DD. Everything was ok at first, then the past 2-3 weeks behavior is off the charts bad including violence at home and "school" (DT/BT services just started, repetitive and oral stemming have majorly increased, she is asking about "daddy" or "daddy" characters after her dad cancelled 3 times this month - she had a visit on Sunday though, which was not a great transition home and he just walked away from the event - she will NOT stay in her bed for naps, I just turned the bed back around (it was a transition crib) so it is crib like because I need to eat/sleep, and bolting has increased as well.

She keeps repeating phrases she hears, songs, books verbatim, and using sensory to cycle behavior during the day and screaming "mommy, my mommy" when she is put down for a nap or in bed. She exhibited this increase in behavior(s) a bit before we moved (not the dad stuff though or lack of traditional family unit) but not to this intensity or sleep. I cannot figure out if she is truly scared mommy is going somewhere or if she manipulating the sleep thing.

Did the move do this IYO? I need some help here. I am on no sleep, her annual EI eval was today with surprised eyes as to wow we didn't think this kid was this bad, and she drew blood on me on Sunday. As we speak I can hear her saying "my daddy gone." What brought this on?!

Re: Transition factor: Is this all my fault?

• It definitely could be the move. We moved from MA to VA when DD1 was two, and it was very stressful for her. She asked about our old house for months after we moved. Then we moved again (locally) when DD1 was almost four, and even though I kept her in the same preschool, and our routine didn't change very much, she had a lot of anxiety about it. Her sensory issues got much worse for a few months, and again, she talked about our old house non-stop. The good news is, it got better, but it was really tough for a couple of months.
  • I think if you try to keep the rest of her routines the same she will adjust. It just may take time. Is she still seeing your folks? Have you looked into an ASD diagnosis. All those comorbids sound like a possibility of ASD. Is her Dad supportive. Sounds like he is hit and miss with seeing her. Honestly, I don't know how I would handle that. I just know that is debasing for any kid. Hugs to you and I hope it gets better soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I just wanted to add that you moved for very good reasons, so if that is what's thrown her off she will settle in and be happier in the long run. I'm sorry that things are so hard right now.
  • pastalady said:
    I think if you try to keep the rest of her routines the same she will adjust. It just may take time. Is she still seeing your folks? Have you looked into an ASD diagnosis. All those comorbids sound like a possibility of ASD. Is her Dad supportive. Sounds like he is hit and miss with seeing her. Honestly, I don't know how I would handle that. I just know that is debasing for any kid. Hugs to you and I hope it gets better soon!

Her other routines are still the same - I still drop her off every morning at daycare on my shift days (3 days a week), my folks pick her up and lay her down, the only difference is that I pick her up sleeping and we drive home and she goes in her bed. She was given the statement, not dx of "developmental delays with autism symptoms" which sounded like PDD-NOS to me around 20 months and that doc is now gone and never officially reported to my pedi - so I think another eval for something is in the next year as she is going to age out of EI and go into the school system.

Her dad is unfortunately not supportive in anyway and un-consistent, which I think is leading a little to the family situation questions - I think it is more an "a daddy" issue than "her daddy" issue. Like I said, when he dropped her off and she was having trouble he literally just walked away and you could hear a faint bye from him before he sped off. That was the night of the bloody nose. We have never been a family unit per say, so DD has never seen that. He started being in her life, at least for transport to his moms, last year. And it is hit and miss including late cancels and no shows, poor kid.

And thanks for the hugs, it's tough but we will get there or wherever we are supposed to be.

• mrszee2b said:
    I just wanted to add that you moved for very good reasons, so if that is what's thrown her off she will settle in and be happier in the long run. I'm sorry that things are so hard right now.
    Thanks, it is all good in the long run, my folks - aren't a great environment right now as they feed her compulsions to avoid tantrums and the tension is hard with their denial.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"