Working Moms
Options

Am I over-reacting -- DC Yard Sale?

So I went to check on DS at lunch today (I usually just do a quick head pop in to see what he's up to without him seeing me) and when I was pulling in there's a sign in the parking lot that says yard sale 10-7.  I'm like WTF? So I go in and they have a large gym area and that is where the yard sale is being held.  The door is a passcode lock system so luckily people aren't just strolling in and I asked the girl at the front if they were monitoring the people from the yard sale and she said yes, they are walking people directly to the gym and there are two people in there that are making sure the randoms don't leave the gym.  I just kinda don't know what to think about the deal and no letter or information was sent as a heads up to the parents. Also, I just kind of feel like this could have been done on a weekend when no kids are there?  What do you think?

Re: Am I over-reacting -- DC Yard Sale?

• Options
    I'm not so sure I would be comfortable with the situation. And they definitely should have given notice.

I'm actually really surprised they didn't give weeks worth of advance notice and encourage all the parents to attend in order to get a better turn out.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That is really weird they would not have notified parents ahead of time and that they would do it in the middle of the week when they have all of those kids there.  My friend's DC used to have an annual yard sale, but the parents were involved and it was held on a weekend.  And do they have extra staff there to run the yard sale?  Because I would think the normal staff should be occupied with watching the kids. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the extra staff, my DS regulars are in his room with him and the normal girl who is at the desk was at the desk when I went in, so it's not taking  those people away I know.   
  • Options
    This is so odd that I needed to read the post 2-3 times to make sure I didn't misread anything.

Why not do this on weekend when kids aren't around?
  • Options
    sillygirliosillygirlio member
    edited October 2013

I think it's a little weird they didn't tell the parents, but personally I wouldn't have  a problem with it.  No matter how the media tries to program us, the likelihood of a kook finding a poorly advertised daycare yard sale and wreaking havoc in some way is very, very, very slim.

Are you new to the center?  Or is there some other reason you might have missed the notice?  I guess you could ask the director about it, but personally this isn't anything I'd make a huge deal out of.

• Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member
    edited October 2013
    I would inquire with the director regarding communication to parents. That's odd you were not given notice or asked to participate.  I cannot imagine they had a good turn out with little advertising. It sounds like the DC is taking proper precautions so it wouldn't really stir a big reaction from me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would not be down with that. They are opening the school to the general public without your permission. I understand the occassional school tour but a sale like that needs to be reserved for the weekend or after hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I honestly wouldn't have even given it a second thought, but do agree that it's weird to not do it at another time just to have more staff on hand to help. However, besides that, this doesn't really seem like a big deal, especially with all the precautions they're taking.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't be cool with it.  Besides the issue of having some freak potentially getting access to the kids, you also have the issue of some ill or unvaccinated person spreading disease.  They should have at least told you so you could keep LO away that day if you were uncomfortable.
  • Options
    I'm glad that others have similar reservations as I do, I sometimes feel like I overanalyze and am always "that parent" who speaks up.  I talked with the director and asked her how long this had been planned and why there was no notice to the parents.  This all came about last Thursday she says and the sale is of things they had in a storage unit they needed to get out of.  I informed her I felt that this was better suited for a weekend and asked why no notice was given to the parents that people were going to be in and out of the building.  She apologized and agreed that a notice should have been sent out...I think she is a little busy and might not think things all the way through.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"