Multiples

Vaginal vs c-section

I'm sure this question has been asked before. I'm 29w4days with b/g twins. This is my first pregnancy and I am scared as hell about delivery. a couple weeks ago my baby girl turned head down, so now both babies are head down and for the first time I've had to consider vaginal delivery.... I'm SO scared to do this, I kinda just want to lay down, get some good drugs and have the doctors do all the work. What were your experiences with delivery, or what are your delivery plans?

Re: Vaginal vs c-section

• Evee30 said:

I'm sure this question has been asked before. I'm 29w4days with b/g twins. This is my first pregnancy and I am scared as hell about delivery. a couple weeks ago my baby girl turned head down, so now both babies are head down and for the first time I've had to consider vaginal delivery.... I'm SO scared to do this, I kinda just want to lay down, get some good drugs and have the doctors do all the work. What were your experiences with delivery, or what are your delivery plans?

It's totally normal to be scared about L&D, but you do realize that a c/s isn't easy, right? It's a major surgery that requires a good chunk of recovery time all while caring for newborns. The difficult part is on the other side of the operating table. :) I've experienced both types of deliveries and I'd take vaginal L&D over c/s any day just based on my recovery. It was painful (36+hrs) and I had minor tears but the recovery was so much better with my vaginal delivery than the c/s.

Twins add complications to the decision. You have a very favorable situation for a vaginal delivery with both being head down. Of course that may change before you go into labor and it will depend on what the weight estimates are, but I think it's worth a shot at the vaginal birth if you're cleared by your OB to try. People will offer different opinions on this topic but when it comes down to it, whatever it takes to keep you and the babies healthy is the best option.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • I have a friend who swears by C/S, but has no experience with vaginal. my best friend delivered her first vaginally and second was a c/s because he was breech.    

I am hoping and praying for a vaginal delivery, because like PP said, I don't want to recover from major surgery with two newborns! Currently, Baby A's head  is in my ribs and needs to turn the heck around and am hoping at 30w there's still time! 
    If I NEED a c/s I will go into it with an open mind, but that's definitely not on my birth plan!
  • Loading the player...
  • LucyRicardo3LucyRicardo3 member
    edited October 2013
    I've had a non-med vaginal , an induction w/ epi, and a c/s (with the twins since B flipped at 7ish cm to some crazy breech position)...

I don't regret the c/s choice because I believe given the circumstances, it was the best option for low-risk birth injury. (I have a close friend whose son endured a horrific brain injury at birth b/c of a botched breech vaginal delivery). I WILL say that my c/s recovery was awful, but I still recovered eventually and caused no further harm to the girls. I had been given an epi with them in anticipation of a vaginal, but did not realize that I was given a piggy back narcotic with the epi that made me really nauseous and busy brain. I did NOT have that experience with my (medicated with epi) vaginal delivery of my second child.

With my current singleton, I've been told by all of the OB's at my office that I am a good candidate for a VBAC if this little dude cooperates, under pretty certain protocol. (They will not induce, but will only go as far as breaking my water and stripping membranes).  If he is not head down or does not progress on his own, I don't feel like less of a mom if I have to go with another c/s. BUT I definitely will be communicating NO narcotic piggy back with my meds this time.
    What happened with me, sometimes happens with other MoM's after they've already delivered A vaginal and then B flips before delivery and the OB says no breech deliveries, therefore a "double whammy"

Yes, the vaginal is not "easy" but it is so much easier recovery.

Really discuss your concerns with your doctors, and make an informed plan, but keep in mind that sometimes things don't always go as planned (in my case). What ever informed decision you make is what's best for you and your LO's and you will not get any shaming from me.

Best wishes to you!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Thanks ladies,

My doc is an older hippie-type chick. She has been rooting for vaginal since the beginning, but we haven't discussed anything in detail. I will start having weekly appts. next week. They're not going to induce me for c-sec and will let labor naturally occur (assuming the pregnancy continues to go great)

However, I've had a lot of activity since baby girl turned, more pressure, contractions... life has gotten harder. I'm still moving and working, still no concerns, but I feel like we need to start planning better. My doc is just so easy going

• I had a vaginal delivery with DD. I was in labor a total of 18 hrs and pushed for 20 min. Like PP have said it's not easy but if I can do it with my twins I will. My biggest issue post birth was hemroids. They were far worst then my 2nd degree tare.
    Honestly vaginal birth varies from women to women. I was scared before I read up on it. Do some research and talk with your dr.

I will say I think part of my positive experience was that I had the epidural. I know a lot of people are against them. But I felt and feel that I have nothing to prove and just cause I got pain meds does not mean I'm less of a women or that my child was harmed in anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a vaginal delivery with DD. I was in labor a total of 18 hrs and pushed for 20 min. Like PP have said it's not easy but if I can do it with my twins I will. My biggest issue post birth was hemroids. They were far worst then my 2nd degree tare. Honestly vaginal birth varies from women to women. I was scared before I read up on it. Do some research and talk with your dr.
    I agree.  I think a lot of the fear comes from not knowing what to expect.  I had DD as an unmedicated vaginal birth.  I know things are different with twins, and I'm open to a csection if needed.  But I had a great experience with my first delivery.  Did it hurt? of course, but since I knew what to expect there wasn't any fear involved. I had a much better experience because of all the research I had done/classes I had taken.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a vaginal delivery with my first (a singleton) and then c/s with the twins.

I had a hard and long labor with my first.

I liked the fact that a c/s was a lot more controlled. I was able to walk into the OR vs it being an emergency, which I was more scared of.

But the c/s was so much harder to recover from, and I had an incredible amount of help! Can't imagine if I didn't have the help I had. It would have been 1000x worse.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • yes I have a lot of help. My mom and her bff are moving here this week. My DH plans to take some time off of work to help too. I have never had surgeries nor have I ever been on pain meds so I'm not sure how my body will respond. I have NO intention on going "natural" I will definitely do an epidural!
  • I delivered my twins vaginally, and my recovery was pretty easy.  All 6 of the OBs in the practice I go to recommended I at least try for a vaginal delivery.  It's better for the babies because going through the birth canal squeezes the fluid out of their lungs, and it's better for you.  A c-section is done while awake (usually), but it's still major surgery.  Taking care of 2 newborns is hard enough without also trying to heal from major surgery. 
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • sterling1987sterling1987 member
    edited October 2013
    Hi! I just delivered my girls vaginally two days ago! Both were head down, got an epidural and delivered in the OR as a precaution but everything went perfect! I'm so glad we decided to try vaginally and I would say to go for it! You can do it
  • I had a C-section scheduled b/c my baby B was breech my entire pregnancy.  They day before I delivered, she flipped.  I had no "birth plan" or anything, lol....

I delivered both babies vaginally.  I didn't get an epidural until I was 8 cm dilated.  I pushed about 15 min for Baby A, and then B decided to be a diva....my OB called another dr at the practice to scrub in for a C-section for B, which was my fear: one vaginal, one C-section, and one hell of a recovery.  Three pushes later, I had a daughter.

Me: 30, Dx Unexplained/hypothalamic amenorrhea
    DH: 31, normal!
    April/May 2011: Menopur + Ovidrel +TI = BFN
    Oct 2011: Menopur + Hcg +IUI = BFP!
    Beta #1 (13dpiui)= 129.7, Beta #2 (15 dpiui)= 305
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome!
    My Blog

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Your babies will change position many times and that should determine your birth plan. Right now, Baby A head down but Baby B is breech. My doctor and I will make a decision as we get closer to see if B flips. I am not married to any one method and am only concerned with the least amount of risk to the babies. A c-section is not something to be taken lightly if both babies are in good position.

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • I was also very scared of having a vaginal birth and 1st thought that I was immediately going to have a c/s due to having twins.  Both of my b/g twins were head down @ 25w and stayed head down.  I got an epidural and thankfully it worked 100%. 

I delivered @ 32w3d when my water broke.  Other than being premature, my birth experience was wonderful.  DS came out, they broke DD's water, did a quick u/s to make sure she was still head down, pushed on the tog of my uterus to get her to move down a little, and then it was time to push.  My twins are 17 min apart.  I did have to get a couple of stitches because DD came out "sunny side up", but other than that, my recovery was pretty easy.

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • I birthed my boys vaginally with no Meds. It hurt like heck but to be honest it wasn't any more painful than delivering my singleton dd. it did suck to have to start again after baby a but it only took an extra few minutes and two pushes for baby b. i will say that i cannot possibly imagine trying to recover from surgery while taking care of two babies. I was wearing jeans and walking around with the boys before i even left the hospital!
  • It was ultimately my choice but I always wanted a vaginal delivery if I could so that's what I opted for.

I was induced at 7am, got the epi placed around 10am. By 6pm I was stuck at 6cm, by 9pm I was stuck at 8cm and the Dr. said he'd give me until 10pm to get to 10cm, otherwise it was c-section time. He turned the epi way down or off (not sure which) and manipulated Baby B who was way over on the left and then I REALLY started dilating. I made it to 10cm and was wheeled into the OR to push. Baby A came after about 30 minutes of pushing, Baby B turned face up and after about 45 minutes of pushing, they were very close to getting the vacuum or forceps for her but they were able to get her out by giving me a 2nd degree episiotomy.

Recovering from the episiotomy wasn't fun but I'm guessing it was easier than a c-section recovery. I don't regret my decision one bit and was very thankful I was able to avoid the c-section.
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Although I've never had a vaginal delivery, after 3 c-sections, I will tell you it isnt that bad at all considering you are having a major surgical procedure. The recovery for me at least was pretty smooth and there's no fear of tearing, etc. You will have a little more recovery time with c-section more than likely but at 5 weeks pp, I'm feeling pretty normal. G/L! You will be ok :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I've had a vaginal delivery with my DS and really didn't want a c section with my twins but one was breech and the other transverse so I had no choice. I'm 12 days post partum and now have a seroma under my incision. I have a home health nurse coming by once a day to change the packing and my husband changes it once a day. Or I go to the doctor and she changes it. It may be like this for a month before it heals. I had really poor pain management in the hospital and felt like someone was laying a hot iron across my stomach. I had a 36 hour delivery with my son and I have had arthroscopic hip surgery. Those recoveries were a piece of cake compared to this c section. I've experienced the worst pain of my life the past two weeks. A c section is no joke. My consolation is that I went to exactly 38 weeks with my twins and both are very happy and healthy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"