September 2013 Moms
Options

Bed sharing advice.

After almost 6 weeks of sleepless nights I am at the end of my rope. I was wondering what the bed sharing parents on the board are to keep their lo's as safe as possible in the bed. I am a very light sleeper normally and we have a king sized bed. I miss sleeping with my husband! (LO and I have been on the couch). Any advice approaching this is appreciated! And yes I have tried the pnp, rnp, swing and his crib.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bed sharing advice.

• Options
    I just signed in to ask this exact same question! Hubby's on the couch tonight and currently LO is asleep on my chest. I'm nervous about this but she keeps waking up to 'party' at 1am for 3 or 4 hours (screaming blue murder) and it's wearing on me and the hubby. We need sleep and I'm willing to give this a try (although I'm not thrilled about it).
  • Options
    I bedshare every night because DD refuses to sleep anywhere else. I usually lay her next to me, slightly angled away but with her face facing me, if that makes sense. And I lay on my side with my arm behind her. I also have her AR cosleeper pushed up against the bed so if she rolled she wouldn't fall off. You could also get a bedrail and that would serve the same purpose. I'm actually going to get one since it will work better. Finally, make sure the blankets are low enough on you that they won't cover his face in the night.

I got some good tips on the attachment parenting board. There are a few posts on there about bedsharing if you want to check it out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MsdpgpMsdpgp member
    edited October 2013
    I have LO sleep perpendicular to me with her feet about at my waist. That way I can't roll over on to her and she can't roll off the bed. She's in her halo sleep sack and I wear sweats so there are no blankets. Just the bottom sheet that I make sure is tight fitting. I make a "c" around her but no actual cuddling. Oh and no pillows. It's not super comfortable but we are both able to sleep! Attachment Parenting .international has some good tips on their website too. ETA for typos
  • Options
    If he is sleeping on me, I usually double my pillow over so I'm laying more inclined, and then have pillows under each of my arms. For some reason this seems to keep him from rolling. If he is laying next to me he just lays on my arm.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have only done it a few times, and I'm also a very light sleeper. I put my snoogle between us left plenty of room to the edge of the bed and put a pillow on theother side. We have a king bed so we have plenty of room. If you are looking at it long term I would look at the cosleeper beds. Also, just throwing out there our LO is sleeping in Her car seat by the bed...one of the only things that keeps her asleep at night.
  • Options
    I put her changing pad between us. We have king size bed so there is plenty of room for three of us. She sleeps swaddled on the pad just fine.
  • Options
    We do it as well. He would like to be as close to me as possible. I have a pillow on one side of him place him about 3 inches away and either let his head sleep in the crook of my arm or a couple inches away from me. Sometimes I'll let him snuggle. I feel like I could pass out and worry that my light sleeping is no more... But I wake up to him any time he is moving around.
  • Options
    My LO likes to sleep on his boppy. I put a light blanket over the boppy so he doesn't sink in and then I swaddle him. He'll sleep like that for hours. Sometimes if he wakes up in the middle of the night to eat after I feed him he'll sleep next to me on the bed and pretty much what the other girls said. No extra blankets and I drape my arm around him. I'm a light sleeper and even when I'm sleeping I know he is there. He does not like to sleep in his bassinet and he'll wake up multiple times if he is sleeping on his back. I found that the boppy is really the only way he'll sleep. I am hoping that within the next couple weeks I can transition him to his bassinet or pack and play so I can have my bed back.
  • Options
    I am a very light sleeper as well. When I can't get my son to sleep anywhere else he sleeps on my chest. I use three pillows to elevate my back. I also use a nippy to surround his body and I put my arms on too of the boppy. This is not good sleep at all, but it is better than none.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    Dh is set on couch sleeping for some reason. Not sure why as we bed shared all three of us with our first two. For us (when there were 3 in the bed) I slept with baby between me and the edge of the bed. I slept close to the middle. I would crook my arm around her (but she didn't lay ON my arm) and that's how we'd stay. She'd nurse and falls sleep with her belly against me. Using my boob as a pillow. Did that till 6 months when we stopped nursing and she moved to her crib.
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I have a changing station that came with my pnp so we use that. It has sides so makes me feel a little better. And I put it in between me and dh.
  • Options
    I bought a Snuggle Nest which is like a little bed that we put between us. We have a king size bed so we have enough room. I also like that it's a little bit of an incline so LO's reflux doesn't bother her as much.
  • Options
    I put her in the crook of my arm and make sure she's facing out. I'm a light sleeper and usually feel her move. I will not bring her to bed if I'm overly tired or if I even had a sip of alcohol.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"