Pregnant after 35
Options

Please help me out with the NTscan/Mat121! questions

Hi Ladies! Sooooo, the world of prenatal testing has changed a lot since my last full-term pregnancy 10 years ago!

I'm currently 6 w3d, and having the first ultrasound tomorrow and my midwife appt right after. For backround, I'm 42 and had a loss right at 10 weeks, in May. At my first appt 2 weeks ago, she kind of discussed these tests with me. Last time I didn't get a chance to decide about the nt scan and they didn't offer the Mat121 yet. She was acting like she thought I should do those tests.

Here's the thing-I'm someone who is open to ultrasounds, but has always declined the triple/quad screen. So, the Mat121 is NOT the quad screen but totally different, right? Do they still do quad screens? (I didn't understand this part). I mean I'd decline it again but the Mat121 is kind of interesting. However, I'm not open to any further testing such as CVS. I'm more interested in it for the reason being, if I was high risk for something, I might decide to have a hospital birth vs. the planned homebirth.

Do they do the nt scan and Mat121 at the same time? What IS a nt scan? like a regular ultrasound? What are they trying to see?

DH kind of freaked out about the Mat121 and said 'I don't want to know anything, if you do it don't tell me!" Sigh...ok

None of my  young preggo friends and cousins have had it because, well, they're not old like me : )

Re: Please help me out with the NTscan/Mat121! questions

• Options
    This is the best of my recollection... I have 13 day old twins and my brain is mush...

NT scan is an advanced ultrasound where they look for physical markers of potential genetic disorders. The Mat21 test is a blood test of the mother's blood. They screen for fragments of the baby's DNA. They test the DNA for genetic markers. They can also determine the gender. I did both of these. The NT scan was part of my normal care by my MFM and the Mat 21 test was partially covered by my insurance due to my age. I saw both an MFM and OB during pregnancy as I am 40, had IVF, and pregnant with twins. I did not want any invasive testing which is why I chose Mat21.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

NT scan measures neck measurements and is done a bit later-I think 10-12 weeks.  They are checking for markers for downs syndrome.  Maternit21 tests earlier, and it is a simple blood draw.  Maternit21 will also give you a gender confirmation, if that is something that you want.  A Quad screen is a u/s and blood draw done in second tri.  When I failed my quad screen, Maternit21 and/or Level 2 u/s was recommended to test further for abnormalities.  Quad screen has high false + rates, I will never have another.  Maternit21 is most reliable and tests for the most abnormalities of all these tests.

(((waving hi to 10-4)))

TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NT scan and Maternity 21 are unrelated. For me the first trimester blood test was combined with NT scan results for the "first trimester screening". NT scan is an ultrasound where they take measurements of the thickness of the baby's neck/spine. I also had the 2nd trimester Quad screening done. I also had the Maternity 21 test (mine was called Verifi -- same test, different lab name). Maternity 21 is a better indicator of Chromosomal problems (99% accurate) and only requires a blood draw so it is non-invasive. You can also find out the sex of the baby if you want to.
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hello & welcome!  I'm happy to see you on the board.

I'll just add a bit because I asked my OB the same question today.   As pp have said, the Maternt21 tests for Trisomy 13, 18 & 21 and can identify gender (but you may have to ask specifically for that part to make sure the order is coded correctly).  I had it done at 9 weeks, 6 days and am awaiting results.    I wasn't sure if the NT scan was still a necessity and my OB advised that it was still recommended as it looks for things beyond what MaternT21 does.  In addition to looking for signs of Trisomy 21, it also looks for abnormalities with the spinal cord (and maybe other things.  I forget now).   My OB said that the NT scan is done between 11 weeks & 13 weeks, 6 days.    Good luck!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
     Thank you guys! I think I have a clearer picture now of these tests.  So as of now, I think I am leaning towards doing the Mat121 and declining the quad screen later. I 'think' I'll do the nt scan too.  I do always like a chance to see the baby!

As far as dh goes-I think I will just go ahead and do what I think best, he really does want me to just decide and I think he DOES want to know results-I would not really keep them from him. He just worries alot, he's high strung.
  • Options
    @Veganlady I think what is being referred to with Quad test is the way the results are given -- if your odds are lower than the benchmark you screen "positive"
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Veganlady, I have never done the quad (and former triple) screens. I'm not open to further invasive testing and it wouldn't change anything for me anyways. Neither would the Mat121 except 'possibly' where I choose to give birth.

I went in all ready to decline just that but didn't know about these other tests-lots to think about these days!
  • Options
    jbellejbelle member
    edited October 2013
    I did the blood test (Verifi) and did not do the NT scan. Our genetic counselor suggested anything found during the NT scan they'd likely wait to confirm during the anatomy scan anyway; Def ask your doctor/counselor for their opinion on that.

@Veganlady: FWIW our doctor felt there was no need for us to do the quad screen, or in our case, testing just the alpha fetoprotein (since Verifi covered the other three aspects), after the a/s results came back typical. I did not, however, ask our genetic counselor abt this; she may have recommended otherwise.

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• Options

@Veganlady, I have never done the quad (and former triple) screens. I'm not open to further invasive testing and it wouldn't change anything for me anyways. Neither would the Mat121 except 'possibly' where I choose to give birth.

I went in all ready to decline just that but didn't know about these other tests-lots to think about these days!

Just an FYI, the quad screen is not an invasive test. It's just a simple blood test. It's not like getting an amnio or CVS.

I did the quad screen and I screened positive for a Downs risk so a level 2 ultrasound was recommended in place of the regular anatomy scan. Everything looked great on the level 2 so I didn't have any further testing.

Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    ...maybe I misinterpreted your comment and you're saying you wouldn't want further invasive testing should you screen positive on the quad screen? If that's the case just know that the next step for most drs would be the level 2 ultrasound anyway, they wouldn't jump straight to amnio or CVS.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"