September 2013 Moms
Options

Nuva ring while breastfeeding?

I just came back from my 6 week pp appt and my doctor prescribed the Nuva Ring as my BC. My LO is 7 weeks today and I am EBF. I thought that the nuva ring could not be used while breastfeeding because of the hormones. I asked my doctor about this and he said that it was safe to use. I would like to know everyone's opinion... Would you use it or have you used or are you using it? What would you do?

Re: Nuva ring while breastfeeding?

• Options
    I don't know about during breast feeding, but I was on Nuva Ring for about 6 months and had to stop because it made me totally crazy.. I haven't had problems with other BC, so I would think the hormone levels might be pretty high. :-/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#1 since May 2012 
    BFP#1 6/2/12 EDD 2/17/13 Natural M/C 6/19/12
    BFP#2 10/30/12 EDD 7/12/13 CP 11/2/12 
    BFP#3 11/29/12 EDD 8/10/13 CP 12/2/12 
    BFP#4 12/26/12 EDD 9/7/13 
    1/18/13 HB 140! GROW BABY GROW!

Welcome to the world Little Girl! Born on her due date! September 8, 2013, 7lb 11.8oz, 19.5" long. 

image image

image image

**PgAL/PAL welcome**
  • Options
    raeynraeyn member
    edited October 2013
    The Nuva Ring has both estrogen and progesterone, and my understanding is that people often avoid contraceptives with estrogen when they are breastfeeding because it could potentially lower milk supply.
    https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/birthcontrol/

If you're not comfortable risking it, maybe call your doctor back and ask about the mini pill?

I agree with pp who said it probably has high levels of hormones. I was on the Nuva Ring for a while and it caused problems for me too.

ETA: @AFwifelife is too quick for me. :P
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh well hello, nice to meet you???

Honestly do they put "member" by everyone now in the discussion boards? I think I missed this answer while I was gone for two weeks. I thought "member" meant "not a newb"??

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Options

Honestly do they put "member" by everyone now in the discussion boards? I think I missed this answer while I was gone for two weeks. I thought "member" meant "not a newb"??

Everyone is now a "member". That is one thing I don't care for when they updated. #-o
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    I need TB to add a "newb" star so that we can snark more easily... with less investigation

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Options

Well dang OP! Didn't you know you weren't a member of the tree fort!?
    DS1 June 12, 2009
    DS2 May 19, 2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor said that all the types of birth control will decrease the nutritional value of the breast milk, he said its nothing to worry about though.
  • Options
    beatingIFbeatingIF member
    edited October 2013
    OP this could've been me posting to the T. I actually have a call into my doc verifying this. I'm 7w post partum and put my Nuva Ring in last night but this afternoon saw the recommendation from Nuva Ring website to wean prior to use. My OB stated it has low hormones and knows I'm EBF but I just want to double check. I'm interested to see what I hear back...

ETA: after reading the article from Kelly Mom I may switch to the mini pill. I wanted to avoid a daily pill to avoid missing a dose but the potential decreased supply may be enough to switch.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"