July 2012 Moms

How long did you take for maternity leave?

I'm just curious because I only took two weeks when Olivia was born but will definitely need more this time around.  TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
my baby you'll be."

Re: How long did you take for maternity leave?

• MamaNelly2312MamaNelly2312 member
    edited October 2013
    planned on taking 6 weeks but ended up taking 8weeks off. It was worth it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was really lucky in that I got 12 weeks paid maternity leave, and I took it all. I agree with @emilypc, it still didn't feel like it was long enough, but it was better than it could have been.

Even a minor event in the life of a child is an event of that child's world and thus a world event.

• Loading the player...
  • I took 6 weeks.  I felt like it was enough time to recover and get used to the new routine. 
  • jfresh said:
    13 weeks. I definitely feel like I needed every minute of it too. Actually the thought of just two weeks makes me want to cry, although at least you work from home, right?
    Oh yeah, taking 2 weeks only worked because I was still at home.  I would not have been ready to leave my baby.  It was still super stressful which is why I'm pushing for 8 weeks this time. 

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • I took 9 weeks total. That was combined time allowed by my company and all my vacation time I saved up. 

• 14 weeks because of the gd they started me early and I got 8 weeks after because of the c-section

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • I got 8 weeks paid under disability and then I worked out a part-time deal for another 4-6 weeks where I was only working from home, filling in the days off with vacation days.  I'm not sure I would do the part-time from home thing again; it was stressful getting used to that routine and then going to the full-time routine.
  • Only 2 weeks?  That must have been tough.

I feel very fortunate that we have great maternity benefits here in Canada.  I had 1 year of maternity leave and I was paid about 55% of my salary during this time.  My work topped up my pay to 90% for 6 weeks as that was considered short-term medical leave.
  • 12 weeks unpaid. Six weeks of it was STD, although that means 4 weeks at 60%. That barely covered the cost of my insurance during the 12w I was out.

My benefits are awful.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had 6 weeks of summer and then 6 weeks off of school so I went back when he was 12 weeks. All unpaid though. I'm taking 11 weeks this time, unpaid, bc it correlates with the end of the year.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went back when he was a little over 2 months old. I had planned to just take the 6 weeks, but then he came early during summer break so I still took the six weeks off. I wish I would have taken the full 12 weeks of fmla though. Hopefully I can have the next one in the spring and then just stay out all summer.
  • You'll definitely need more time this time around, just to get the twins on a good schedule before you start work. I took 10 weeks: 1 week paid, 7 weeks at 90% pay (STD) and 2 weeks vacation. By then the twins had started sleeping a good chunk of the night so I wasn't a zombie at work.
  • Wow, such a large variance!  I think the verdict is that I need to leave the country before these babies are born.Canada isn't too far from Ohio.  Although, it could possibly be a problem with DH's employer...  :))

I had a call with my boss today and told him that I would like to take 8 weeks off.  I really hope they will work with me.  I'm an independent contractor so they could technically end my contact before the babies are born and avoid having to hire a short-term replacement.  Hopefully I'm worth the hassle!

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • I took 8 weeks. I wanted longer, but it was ample time for me to get into the groove of things with caring for a newborn. I have no clue how you did 2 weeks! that must have been rough. I wasn't even healed from my C/S yet!

• I took about 2 months. I was staring school, so I figured I would just dive in! I was only paid for 1 week of my leave- vacation, and I had some sick days too that I burned at that time. :(
    I hope they decide you are worth the hassle!
    "Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took 12 weeks off.   6 weeks paid STD, 4 weeks paid vacation, and then 2 weeks unpaid.    I'll plan to do something roughly the same next time, although if I could swing longer unpaid I might go for more like 4 months total.
  • Technically 6 weeks, but I ended up taking a few more since I had to get my gallbladder out when DS was a month old.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the input! Mine will be entirely unpaid so that sucks but I want to keep my sanity.

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • edited October 2013
    11 weeks with DD#1, but mainly because I wanted to wait until after Thanksgiving to go back. Only 10 days of it were paid. My school had terrible maternity benefits. I didn't go back after DD#2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 12 weeks but 14 would have been better. My vag was still in pain and lifting and bending was not my friend

• Mine was all paid

• 6 weeks and only 4 were paid at 60% for me as well. It was not long enough.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"