February 2013 Moms
Options

Baby food recipes?

Ladies that make your own baby food....how do you do it? Any links to share? Dd was not into food at all until this week, though we have experimented on and off since 6 months. She needed some more purée practice before moving on, but I am also curious what else moms of babies with no, or tiny and few, teeth feed their babies beyond puréed stuff. Thank you!

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

Re: Baby food recipes?

• Options
    DD2 has 1/2 of one bottom front tooth and 1/8 or so of the other (it just broke through), but she will eat most anything. I haven't given her tough meats to try, but strips of chicken, fish, veggies, etc. What I would do would be to make whatever you're making for yourself, and then take a few Tbsp and puree it to a rough texture. Depending on how much salt you usually use, you should wait to salt your food until you've taken her bit out, and you'll probably want to avoid too spicy food, but otherwise just have at it!

Yesterday we were having rice with a red bell pepper sauce and pork chops. I just scooped up some of the rice and sauce and gave it to DD2 and she loved it. DD1 wouldn't have gone for that at this age, though. She needed really creamy purees until she was more like 10 months and wouldn't really eat just table food until she was over a year old.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    I do chunkier purees. What I actually do is cook the ingredients individually and freeze them in 1 oz portions. Then I can combine the ingredients all different ways instead of being restricted to a whole bunch of the same "meal" or making sure whatever DH and I eat is baby appropriate.

We usually combine a fruit or a sweet veggie (like sweet potato or butternut squash) with cereal for breakfast, mix a fruit and veggie or two different fruits for lunch, then do a protein with either two veggies or a fruit and veggie for dinner.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We do creamy puree because anything with chunks makes E throw up... But it's getting better! I just made zucchini yesterday. I stream veggies and blend them together in the baby bullet. We have done squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, Pears, banana, chicken, turkey, carrots, peas, zucchini, and combos of this foods. Oh, and E had chilli the other night. And baked red skinned potatoes with rosemary (pureed). I pretty much don't season anything, including salt, because if he has a reaction to anything I want to know what. That said, I did put a touch of salt on the chicken the other day because he was turning his nose up at the chicken.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    This is so helpful, thank you! Dumb question....can I purée in a blender or very mini food processor/chopper, or do I need some special thing?

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Options
    You don't need anything special. I have a stick mixer which I find really convenient, but we also don't have any sort of blender or food processor, so it's what I use for everything.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    Ok, thank you!

• Options
    DublinMamaDublinMama member
    edited October 2013
    We were gifted a Baby Bullet, so we use that. But it's essentially a mini blender lol.  DS has been a pretty great eater, and (knock wood!) has eaten purees and table food with little resistance or difficulty. We have moved into very chunky purees, though he is also given soft table foods like pasta shells or steamed veggies whole. As far as purees go, this Sunday I made him a veggie stew of peas, broccoli, parsnips, leeks, zucchini, and lentils. He liked it! I got a lot of ideas from a woman named Kate Leong. She has a blog called https://www.kateleong.com/  She had a special needs son with many, many eating and digestive issues, and she made all his food. She posted a huge long entry about what she fed Gavin, and shared recipes.

I have to warn you though, her blog is not for the faint of heart. Quite a few tragic things have happened to her and her family, and she tells her stories with stunning grace and beauty, but total honesty as well. Pictures included. I love reading it, but have bawled doing so. Tangent over lol.
  • Options
    DD has zero teeth and is eating bits of salmon as I'm writing this. She's had a lot of practice with cheerios, so does really well at chewing/gumming food. Everything else I've mostly been hand mashing with a fork so I don't have to wash the food processor and she's been doing really well with those textures too. Last night was lentils that were hand mashed and I thought she'd have a problem with that, but she did fine.
    BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"