One & Done: Only child

Soup/ crock pot recipes

Since we are talking about groceries and spending, I thought I would pass on this soup recipe I made this week. Dh is not a big leftover person but has been eating it all week. Anyone have any good recipes to share?

https://picky-palate.com/2013/04/10/chili-tortellini/
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Soup/ crock pot recipes

• I used to make a good chicken tortilla soup, but I don't have it memorized.

The easiest meal I make is pork chops. I dump a bottle of bbq sauce on top of the pork chops and cook on low for 6-8hrs. DH loves them with corn muffins and apple sauce.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • @Arcadia1114 I just made the tortelini chili and it's rather runny. It's tasty, but more soup like than I expected. Any suggestions for reducing the amount of liquid? Maybe a spoon of flour?

• Loading the player...
  • I usually make my soups on the stove top, but some I could do in the crock pot as well.  I love to make a chicken corn (or vegetable) noodle with fresh chicken stock that I take from a roasted chicken, then add the corn or other assorted veggies.  Super tasty, and it freezes well too!

You make your own stock? That's awesome! I just noticed that I paid $6 for chicken broth today.

• I add a tiny bit of cornstarch if it is too watery. I'm finishing the last if it tonight. It is so good!
  • Thanks! I'm out of corn starch, but I'll keep that in mind for next time. After more simmering it's looking better. The tortellini swelled up. They're giant!

• I made homemade French bread to dip in it. I was so full but kept eating. It's been great soup weather in New England.
  • I'm in Rhode Island. I am excited that it is starting to feel like fall. This past weekend was beautiful!
  • In laws live in Maine so we get up there a few times a year. It is easier for them to come down here. They are good about doing most of the traveling.
  • I am in Warwick. We get up to MA to go to Fenway. We love the WW II playground in Attleboro. I've been wanting to take ds to the museum if science.
  • We had this tonight.  It was made of the random stuff I had in the kitchen, and this is just how tonight's went - sometimes it's a bit different.  I'm sure you could do this in the crockpot, but it's also easy on the stove (if you use canned beans).

Bean and Bacon Soup w/ Butternut Squash

2 cans great northern beans, drained (cannellini would be a decent sub)
    1 onion, diced
    2 carrots, diced
    2 red bell peppers, diced
    1/2 butternut squash, diced
    1 bunch kale, diced
    3 cups broth (whatever's in the freezer)
    8oz bacon
    ~1/2tsp each ground sage, cumin, rosemary, salt, and pepper

- Cook the bacon in a large pan, then take out to drain.  Leave most of the bacon fat behind.
    - Cook the onion in the bacon fat for ~5 min, on med-high, stirring once or twice, until just starting to caramelize.  Then add the carrots and cook for another ~5 min, stirring once or twice.
    - Add the butternut squash, beans, and broth.  Simmer, covered, for ~20 min
    - Dice the bacon and return to the pan.  Then add the kale and fold in completely.
    - Add the spices, and blend in completely.
    - Turn off the heat, and add the red pepper.
    - Serve! (Serves 4-6, depending on what you have with it and how hungry you are.)

IMG_8355
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"