Natural Birth
Options

Intro :) and some advice needed

Ljessen13Ljessen13 member
edited October 2013 in Natural Birth
STM but first time wanting to go natural. My son is 10 yrs old and I was only in labor for about 5 hrs. Very bad back labor. I wish I wouldn't have gotten the epi for many reasons but that is in the past. I am almost 30 weeks with this lil one and really want to try. How important are classes or reading books?!?!? I can't really afford any type of classes nor do I really have the time and figured many women have probably done it with out instruction. Just needing some guidance......

Re: Intro :) and some advice needed

• Options
    I didn't take any classes or read any books with my first and went completely natural. This time I am focusing more on relaxation and affirmations but that is it. It is completely doable and a lot depends on your mindset going into it and the support people you have chosen.
  • Options
    No advice (still working on becoming a FTM, here), but I wanted to say, "Welcome!"
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank u :)
  • Options
    Hi, I would recommend the book- "An Easier Childbirth". I had a similar situation (epi with first son), and I wanted a natural birth with the 2nd, but wasn't sure I "could do it". I did! And you can!
    8.7.04 Married the Man
    7.16.11 Welcomed the Boy (#1)
    8.19.13 Welcomed the Boy (#2)

• Options
    I didn't take any classes or read books, but I did do some internet searching of labor positions, techniques, etc. I'm not sure it really helped me, though ;) Start thinking about what you might want during labor--who there to support you? music or no? foods (some hospitals won't allow this, of course)? etc. I wanted only my husband there and brought music and headphones in case but never used it. I also brought this little wooden massage tool I thought might help my husband if I want any areas massaged/pressure points...boy did that turn out to be a lifesaver! I had back labor and basically had him slam it into my lower back the whole time...sometimes I grabbed it from him and hit myself. Also be aware your sensitivities to light, smell, temp, etc, may change and you will need to ask people to change the environment to help you (I wanted windows drawn and the room generally dim, for example, and a wet towel for my face at times). Some women find it difficult to communicate during labor, so if you have needs emerging make sure to communicate them early incase you can't as contractions get tougher...Also, it was really helpful to me to value the time between contractions; instead of using these moments to reflect on how bad the last one was or fear the next, use them to enjoy that you are feeling basically nothing (I had my husband do a light stroking on my back instead of the hard pounding with the massage tool to give me a physical reminder to slow down and enjoy these moments)...there isn't much of a way to know what you'll want in advance, so just learn a few options for positions, breathing, encouragement words from your birth partner(s), etc, and make whoever will be in the room aware of these so they are familiar with what you might ask for, they should suggest, etc. Good luck!! You ca do it!!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies !!!!!
  • Options
    I would check out some books from the library at the very least.  Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is a good one.  I also highly recommend The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin.  It is not addressed to the mother but to the labor partner (doula, husband, significant other, friend,etc)  and this is part of why I find the book incredibly useful.  It is much more straightforward than books I have read that are addressed to the mother.  It has a good guide to all the various interventions and their pros and cons.  It also has information with diagrams on various labor positions and what each one is useful for.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"