Multiples

High Risk OB appt

We had our first appt with the high risk OB office today & I loved them! Had another u/s & the baby's heartbeats are 150 & 152. Our appt with the NP was an hour so she took down my ENTIRE history, and then we got to ask her 20 questions...forgot to ask about sex. WOOPSY! She was wonderful. Seriously wonderful. I go back in 4 weeks for my 12 week u/s + a prenatal appt. After that I will have u/s's every 2 weeks to check my cervix for signs of preterm labor. I guess this is common during the teen weeks of twin pregnancies. After that, it tapers off. Really happy that they are attentive & care, & they actually treat me like this is a high risk situation.

The part I'm having the hardest time with is the weight gain. I don't know how to do it right. I've spent the last 3 years counting calories & not overdoing it. I'm supposed to be at 24lbs by 24 weeks. I don't know where to start because I also don't want to get GD - which, of course, my doomsday mother keeps telling me I'm going to get since it's twins. :/
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"To be pregnant is to be vitally alive, thoroughly woman, and undoubtedly inhabited" - Anne Buchanan

Re: High Risk OB appt

• I'm glad you liked your doctor. I wouldn't worry about weight either way. Eat healthy and nutritious until you are full. Do not stuff or starve yourself. Your body will gain what it needs. I have only gained 20 pounds in 31 weeks (I started off little to begin with) and my doctor is very happy with that. As for GD, your mom is wrong. It has very little to do with your current eating habits.

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • Congrats on twins and glad to hear you had a good experience with your OB!

I'm curious to find out if other MoMs had cervical checks every 2 weeks starting that early. I didn't even have one until 24 or 26 weeks. Are you a FTM?

Like PP said, your body will do what it needs to do for your babies. Stop calorie counting and just eat (if you're lucky enough to not have nightmare morning sickness like a lot of us had!) nutritious meals, hit all the food groups and you'll be fine! I didn't gain a lb until 16 weeks bc I was so sick but you better believe I hit that 24 by 24, and now I'm at +38lbs!

Also just throwing in too, that I don't have GD because I'm having twins ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • chickaboo1974chickaboo1974 member
    edited October 2013
    I went for my NT scan at 12 weeks- they checked my cervical length-  then I had them checked at 14, 17, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28 weeks. All by transvag u/s.  Oh and my length never got below a 4.5- so I had no shortening. 
  • Congratulations and I am glad you had such a good experience with your doctor!

I am a little jealous you will be going back in 4 weeks and then every two!! I think that peace of mind would help me. My appointments have been about every 5 weeks and that's been it! I had my cervical length checked once at 17 weeks and that was my last appointment. I do believe it was 3.3 if I remember correctly!

I was super sick in the beginning and lost almost 20 pounds! Just last week at 20 weeks I finally regained that weight back and put a little bit on so I am out of the negatives now!

As far as GD, I haven't been checked yet but it is something my mom had and we have a family history of diabetes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Check out my blog: http://blondheimtwins.blogspot.com/

• Glad to hear you had a great apt! Ditto PPs; don't overthink the calories. Just think nutrition and make sure you're getting plenty of protein, fruits & veggies. Eat when you're hungry and stock your fridge w/ healthy snacks so you won't be tempted to go for the empty calories. That's probably the best way to avoid GD too....which, btw, I did not get either (though I did fail the 1-hr glucose test....probs didn't help that I ate a bunch of candy at a Halloween party the day before!) GL!
  • I had only gained 30 lbs when I delivered at 34+4weeks. Also, I passed my 1hr glucose test so no GD's here.

• My MFM said that the weight gain was more important than worrying about GD.  Of course, he told me I need to eat balanced/nutritious meals and snacks, but he also recommended that I get the glucose tolerance test done as late as possible.  He said that slightly elevated sugars weren't anything to worry about, and that if it was extreme there would be other indicators beside the GTT test.  I did have diet controlled GD with my ODD, so I'm just trying to incorporate some of the tricks I learned to keep my sugar level consistent, like always eating a protein and carb together, eating every three hours, and eating more veggies than fruits, but I'm not as concerned with portion size this time around :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"