C-sections
Options

FTM c-section set for Monday

Well I will be 3 days past EDD. I was going for a natural water birth but plans must change now. I'm nervous for a c-section. I don't know what to expect. Trying to read up on everything in the next few days. Any advice for healing? I don't even know what to pack for the hospital since my plan was for a birth center delivery.

Re: FTM c-section set for Monday

• Options
    Listen to your doctor! Take it easy especially the first 2 weeks. I wasn't able to drive or lift anything over 10 lbs for 2 weeks. My mom would hand me the baby when I wanted to hold her, nurse etc. The actually c section process for me was very smooth. I knew that was a high chance I may have to have one but I did try to have a natural birth. Afterwards try to walk around as much as possible. You'll feel better. Be careful during those first 2-6 weeks. You incision can tear very easily. I had a few tears but they were very minor.
    I just packed a regular bag for the birth of the baby. Maybe some sweats or elastic pants that would be comfortable to wear over your tummy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Walk around the hospital afterwards.. Hours later! Do not baby the pain too much.. Your body will tell you not to walk but do it! Wear sweat pants home! And slippers bc you won't be able to bend over! Good luck
  • Options
    The abdominal binder is your best friend. Get up as soon as they let you. And keep getting up. It's going to hurt but each time gets a little easier than the last. 

For the hospital, pack some comfy pajama pants that you can pull up above your incision, or a nightgown. You might not want to wear the hospital gowns since you'll be there a few days, and you'll be encouraged to walk the halls. Shower as soon as you can, you will feel a million times better afterwards. 

And remember, the pain meds are your friends. You'll need them less and less from day to day, but in the beginning, you'll be thankful for them. Also, the gas pills. I had the worst shoulder pain for the first few days, I was convinced I had pulled muscles, but later found out it was just from gas. Sometimes I needed the pain meds just for the shoulder pain, it hurt worse than my incision.

Good luck! Mine wasn't planned so I wasn't really prepared for it, but you'll do fine, and in the end, the only thing that matters is having your beautiful, healthy LO.
  • Options
    If you have a 2-story house, you'll only be able to go up and down the stairs once per day. Set up your pack'n'play on the first floor so you have somewhere to put the baby down for naps, etc. Also have a stash of diapers, wipes, extra clothes, burp clothes, etc. on both floors so your don't need to go up and down. I also agree about the belly binder or just using a pillow over you abdomen for the car ride home. My hospital gave me a binder for free....but I had to ask. For me, there was an uncomfortable feeling in my abdomen with the acceleration and stopping in the car with my first, so I knew batter to ask for something with #2.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    Bring a heat pad for the gas pain in the shoulders. I found that was the only way to relieve the pain. Use the disposable panties they offer as they go over the incision really well! Bring comfy pants and tank tops. Move around a lot!
  • Options
    Like others have said, get up and walk as quickly as possible.  I would be more sore if I waited a long time between walks than if I took shorter rests.  Both times I was up within about 12 hours.

When you're in your room or recovery, don't sit up too soon.  For the first couple of hours if I sat at more than a 45* angle for more than a few minutes I would start to feel nauseous. 

If you feel sick or anything during the c/s let the anesthesiologist know and they'll give you meds to help, I actually needed 2 doses but they worked immediately.

Put a pad over your incision to keep it dry.  I didn't ask for enough this time around and when I got home I was putting soft cloths over the incision. 

Take gas meds and again, move around as much as possible.  I had gas trapped in my shoulder and it was horrible.

*I just realized that you probably already had your precious baby but putting this out there anyway.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"