Multiples
Options

**UPDATED** What did you see at your first ultrasound?

ShelynlaShelynla member
edited October 2013 in Multiples
UPDATE **Unfortunately, today's ultrasound showed no change. :(  They're scheduling me for a D&E later this week or early next week since my body doesn't seem to be getting that the baby's stopped developing.  

Thank you all for your support and for answering my question about your ultrasounds.  I wish you all the best!**

Hi ladies!  I went for an ultrasound on Wednesday and there were two gestational sacs with yolk sacs in them but no fetal pole development yet.  I had originally thought I was closer to 8 weeks along, but I got pregnant just 3-4 months PP after having DS#2 and my cycles were not back on track yet.  So, it's possible that I am only 6 weeks along.  That said, I've been reading that most of the time, the fetal poles are evident by 6 weeks, so I am still concerned that this may end up as a miscarriage.  I got my HCG level checked after I left the ultrasound and they just came back today at 48,461, which the nurse said is normal for a twin pregnancy anywhere from 6-9 weeks.  I got more blood work taken today so should know by Monday whether my levels are rising. 

So, my question for you is, did any of you have ultrasounds between 6-8 weeks and not see any fetal pole development for one or more of your babies initially? I've heard that this can sometimes be delayed in twins, but I'm not sure how true that is.  I know that I just need to wait and see what happens and that my next ultrasound (Wed) will hopefully clear up whether or not the pregnancy is viable (I'm praying that it is!).  But I would still love to hear your experiences with your first ultrasounds!

Thanks!

Re: **UPDATED** What did you see at your first ultrasound?

• Options
    I just had my first u/s at 8w0d and both sacs had yolk sacs and measurable babies inside of them, one was 8w0d and the other was 7w5d. Try to stay positive as it seems your OB thinks everything is normal? You may have ovulated later than you think and had late implantation.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thank you.  My OB said that it could go either way, that my dates may be wrong or that the babies have stopped developing.  It's definitely possible that the dates were wrong, so I am trying to stay hopeful but realistic!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a friend who got pregnant twice several months pp while still breastfeeding and she had to have several u/s to figure out dating. She didn't have twins but did have healthy babies both times.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary
  • Options

For me at 5w2d my betas were 3791. So your numbers are huge. The attached ultrasound was at 7w5d.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    5 weeks fetal poles were evident for us. But HCG numbers has nothing to do with the amount in there so not sure why the nurse would have said that. My singleton was higher than my twins. I agree with pp your numbers are crazy high so (singleton, twins, triplets) at that level of HCG a baby should be very visible as that would indicate you should be close to week 8. But by week 7 we could clearly see HB and the two babies. GL though!

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
  • Options
    Amylou333 said:
    This is my first U/S at 7.5 weeks - two sacs and two fetal poles. I was told if it was any earlier than late 7wks, there's not much point in the U/S because you can't see much (they wouldn't schedule me for a U/S before 7.5w for this reason) Sending good thoughts that all is well on your next U/S and you are not as far along as you thought!
    Thank you.  It seems like there are many opinions regarding when the fetal poles should be evident.  A lot of sites say that you should see them by 6 weeks, but I've also read sites that said this could be as late as 9 weeks.  It sounds like your doctor believes that it might take longer to see something.  If that's the case, because I do think my dates were off as I know I ovulated late, then I think that I may be causing myself needless worry!  I hope so!  Thank you again. 

• Options
    I had two singleton pregnancies where we couldn't see the poles at 6-7 weeks. Did my HGC levels and they went up and had a healthy happy pregnancy. This happened with dd1 and ds2. With the twins, we saw heartbeats and babies at 8 weeks. I think, unfortunately, it's just a waiting game. Good luck with your levels! Update us next week!
  • Options
    CaliCarly77CaliCarly77 member
    edited October 2013
    At 5w1d (we thought, one baby...but if you scrutinize, looks like a second black shadow is happening in there too) Anyway, right under the U in uterus, that is just a sac, no fetal pole 

Then at 7w exactly, there was a little tiny bug to measure in each sac (surprise!) 

********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Hi ladies!  I went for an ultrasound on Wednesday and there were two gestational sacs with yolk sacs in them but no fetal pole development yet.  I had originally thought I was closer to 8 weeks along, but I got pregnant just 3-4 months PP after having DS#2 and my cycles were not back on track yet.  So, it's possible that I am only 6 weeks along.  That said, I've been reading that most of the time, the fetal poles are evident by 6 weeks, so I am still concerned that this may end up as a miscarriage.  I got my HCG level checked after I left the ultrasound and they just came back today at 48,461, which the nurse said is normal for a twin pregnancy anywhere from 6-9 weeks.  I got more blood work taken today so should know by Monday whether my levels are rising. 

So, my question for you is, did any of you have ultrasounds between 6-8 weeks and not see any fetal pole development for one or more of your babies initially? I've heard that this can sometimes be delayed in twins, but I'm not sure how true that is.  I know that I just need to wait and see what happens and that my next ultrasound (Wed) will hopefully clear up whether or not the pregnancy is viable (I'm praying that it is!).  But I would still love to hear your experiences with your first ultrasounds!

Thanks!
    At 5.5 weeks two gestastional sacs were visible with a very small yoke sac. By 6.5 weeks there was a noticeable yoke sacs, feral poles and heartbeats. You should definitely know by your next appointment and wish you all the best but I do agree with some of the others, your hcg is very high for what they are seeing on the ultrasound. I hope that you are just off with dates and just have high hcg! Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    chickaboo1974chickaboo1974 member
    edited October 2013
    I had my first u/s at 6w 2d- where I saw the heartbeat of both my boys.  Oh and since we did IVF that date is not a guess.
  • Options
    I was off with my dates (like you, I hadn't yet returned to normal cycles PP) and my OB won't do u/s till when you are 8-10 weeks so you're fairly sure to see something even if dates are off. I went in at what we thought was 9wks and found out we were only 6.5wks and had twins. Both yolk sacs and fetal poles were visible. Best wishes!
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options
    Wow!! Love all the early us pics! We didn't have an early u/s so our first glimpse of our babies was at our 12w scan... And I'm just going to AW for a min... Cuz I love them!! <3

• Options
    I'm going to disagree with PP. High hcg levels can be an indication of a multiple pregnancy. Not a sure way to indicate it, but often Hcg numbers are higher in multiples. So I wouldn't worry about that. I've had two twin pregnancies 1 mono/di and this one is di/di. My first pg was at exactly 6w and we only saw 1 yolk sac I'm not sure what my hcg level was then. We had another u/s at 6w6d and saw two yolk sacs and two faint hbs the equipment for my second u/s was much better too. My second pregnancy first u/a was at 6w5d we were able to see poles with flickering hbs. I agree with pp you should know a lot more by next appt. good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage

• Options
    I saw 2 heartbeats at 6w4d.
  • Options
    TommysGirl56TommysGirl56 member
    edited October 2013
    image"">photo 12d84774-42fc-49ce-8724-2d899fb62bce.jpg

My first ultrasound was 8 weeks, 5 days.  There were 2 measurable babies by that point.  It sounds like there is a good chance you miscalculated your dates, and it's promising that your OB is not concerned, so hopefully there will be more to see at your next appointment!  Good luck to you!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    pea-kay said:
    OMG! I couldn't even imagine. haha. If that were my video you'd hear a boom, and that would be me falling off the table!

• Options
    My 6w2d/6w4d ultrasound located both, with heartbeats, and my beta was only 1190. 40K+ is in the very high range, but not unheard of. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    amy1007amy1007 member
    edited October 2013
    6w0d. Saw babies and hearts just started beating. 101 and 94. Week 4 gestational sac, week 5 yolk sac and fetal pole, week 6 heart beats. Good luck!

• Options
    @pea-Kay
    I'm so jealous I this video. I wish I had one of when we found out about the twins. And you sound so calm!! Haha that's so cute- thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    pea-kay said:
    Here:
    That was 7w3d ish.
    OMG! I couldn't even imagine. haha. If that were my video you'd hear a boom, and that would be me falling off the table!

Right? You are so calm - I had to have them stop the ultrasound to go compose myself in the bathroom and come back to finish it!!! Which was good because I was able to think of some questions  -  we had had a lot of vanishing twin pregnancies on our month board, and it was all I could think about! 
    ********************************************************************************************

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Since we're AWing - ignore how dumb I sound, and my strange doctor...

This was at 10 weeks when I went in for an emergency because I had a bleed - I was so relieved to see them both kicking and fine! 

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    I went at 7w3d, she saw the two huge sacs first, then a baby in each, both with heartbeats and fetal poles.

She couldn't get both the babies in one shot though, which scared me to death, but I was too shocked over the news to ask!
    image    image    image    image

• Options
    We had our first appt. and u/s at 8w2d which is when we discovered that we were having twins. Ours were spontaneous so no earlier scans or blood draws. I have no idea what my betas looked like.

Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • Options
    At 6w0d, there were two little beans with heartbeats in the 150s. I didn't have a fetal pole develop with my first m/c at 6w1d, but I was temping and certain about my dates. And I read a LOT of data about no fetal pole by 6weeks, so all is not lost!
    Unless you were temping or somehow monitoring O, you will have no idea how far along you are until the next u/s. I know how hard waiting is, hang in there and wishes for the best!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    7 weeks on the nose was my first ultra sound following IUI. There was no question about 2 sacs and 2 babes. The big blob off to the right is a huge cyst I had that has since luckily resolved. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was 7 weeks (I don't remember how many days) and the screen basically looked like two little beans inside of two little circles but when she zoomed in we could see their hearts beating. I hope you're just not as far along as you thought! Fingers crossed that you give us a super happy update on Wednesday!
  • Options
    pea-kay said:
    @pea-kay did you know before you started that video that you were expecting triplets? I mean, had the initial "WHAT!?" already happened or are you normally that composed? I was laughing so hard from the shock I couldn't have possibly taken a video from all the shaking. I'm so impressed by your calmness!
  • Options
    pea-kay said:
    @pea-kay did you know before you started that video that you were expecting triplets? I mean, had the initial "WHAT!?" already happened or are you normally that composed? I was laughing so hard from the shock I couldn't have possibly taken a video from all the shaking. I'm so impressed by your calmness!
    Oh yeah, she told us and then was like "do you want a video of this? If so, fork over $10" or something, so the initial news wasn't in the video. I wish it was, because I literally cannot remember anything about how she told us. Totally blocked that out from all the shock. :)
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your support... I edited my original entry with the latest update.

• Options
    ~huge hugs~  Sending thoughts and prayers. Not something easy to go through at all :( 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Awww :( I am so heartbroken for you - sorry for your loss. 

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Very sorry for your loss :(
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

• Options
    ((hugs)) I am so sorry for your losses. The loss boards were very helpful for me when I had my losses. Take good care of yourself (((hugs)))
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss.

• Options
    I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. T&P to you, and tons and tons of hugs!
    image    image    image    image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"