May 2014 Moms
Options

Is it safe to get a FLU shot? Help?

Hello may moms:-) i'm on my 11weeks almost done with 1st tri:-)
wondering if you ladies getting a flu shot? I don't know what to do? workplace have this campaign to get flu shots for Flu season is coming! is it a YES or NO???

Re: Is it safe to get a FLU shot? Help?

• Options
    Yes. It's absolutely, completely safe and its recommended for pregnant women to have it. The shot contains a deactivated version of the flu virus and will just give you a sore arm for a couple of days. It's far more dangerous for you to get full blown flu when pregnant than to have the shot. I had mine at about 9 weeks and my baby is developing perfectly according to my 12wk scan. There's a chance that you may still get flu with the shot, but it will be a much milder version.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    The short answer is yes, it is safe. There was a long thread on this topic earlier.

Some people raised the concern of mercury in the flu shot. This article contains some useful information about that issue, and has a link at the bottom if you want to know whether your shot contains any trace of mercury.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/10/flu-vaccine-faq-mercury-and-flu-vaccines/index.htm

The bottom line, I think, is don't worry about it too much and get the shot (whatever it's got mercury or not). Flu is a lot more dangerous to both of you than any flu shot is. They've given the shot to millions of women over decades, without any safety concerns.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Put it this way. My Dr's surgery actually called me in to get it BECAUSE i'm pregnant.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

• Options
    One of the first things I was told to do was to make sure I get a flu vaccine now (since they have the one specifically for pregnant women) and then a whooping cough vaccine no later than 3 months before my due date. That one is for both DH and I.
  • Options
    It's a big NO. It's not that big of a deal if mom and baby die of the flu or have severe complications due to flu.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Yes. Please please scroll down and look for the same thread with a million responses below.
  • Options
    Yes. You can't have the mist because it contains the live virus. I just got my shot yesterday.
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Yes I got mine just last weekend.  My doctor wanted me to get it for sure.
  • Options
    Do it.  Put down/step away from your computer and get it, pronto.
  • Options
    sammy.k said:
    Yes. Please please scroll down and look for the same thread with a million responses below.
    Yup. Or the same one on 1st Tri. And just for shits and giggles, there's one on TTGP too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My husband's company was offering free flu shots yesterday. I made a call to my doc just to be sure and got the all clear. The nurse administering the shots saw i marked i was pregnant and asked how far along I was and I said about 11 weeks. She literally stepped back like I had leprosy and said oh no no no. I said I have permission from my doc and she said then she can give it to you. Now I get to pay for it. I'm still grumpy.
  • Options
    My husband's company was offering free flu shots yesterday. I made a call to my doc just to be sure and got the all clear. The nurse administering the shots saw i marked i was pregnant and asked how far along I was and I said about 11 weeks. She literally stepped back like I had leprosy and said oh no no no. I said I have permission from my doc and she said then she can give it to you. Now I get to pay for it. I'm still grumpy.
    I think it's just a liability issue for some places.

Generally, it is recommended and safe during pregnancy.
  • Options
    spratt3spratt3 member
    edited October 2013

sammy.k said:

"Yup. Or the same one on 1st Tri. And just for shits and giggles, there's one on TTGP too.
    "

Spacepotatoes--I don't think this post is very friendly. Many of us don't have time to read through every post that gets posted here, and I don't think we should be held accountable for not scrupulously scanning every board to make sure the topic has never been mentioned before.

Boards like this are bound to get repetitive. If you don't want to read something you've already read about, by all means don't. But don't make someone feel bad for asking a valid question/raising a concern.
  • Options
    sammy.ksammy.k member
    edited October 2013
    spratt3 said:

sammy.k said:

"Yup. Or the same one on 1st Tri. And just for shits and giggles, there's one on TTGP too.
    "

Spacepotatoes--I don't think this post is very friendly. Many of us don't have time to read through every post that gets posted here, and I don't think we should be held accountable for not scrupulously scanning every board to make sure the topic has never been mentioned before.

Boards like this are bound to get repetitive. If you don't want to read something you've already read about, by all means don't. But don't make someone feel bad for asking a valid question/raising a concern.

No one is here to make the OP feel bad. I've seen this same exact topic pop up about 4 different times. It's repetitive and annoying.

• Options
    spratt3spratt3 member
    edited October 2013
    Come on, Sammyk. You could see from the title what the topic was about. If you didn't want to be annoyed by another flu shot post, why did you open it at all? You could have just skipped it altogether and gone about your merry way.
  • Options
    And if she's super concerned... She could call her doctor. You know, they probably have a better answer than we all could give anyway.
  • Options
    You don't have to read every single post but is it THAT hard to skim the titles on the first few pages of threads?
  • Options
    spratt3 said:

Come on, Sammyk. You could see from the title what the topic was about. If you didn't want to be annoyed by another flu shot post, why did you open it at all? You could have just skipped it altogether and gone about your merry way.

This is exactly what my UO was about yesterday. Even seeing the title was annoying and repetitive. Do some
    Research. I'm allowed to state my opinion.

• Options
    I really don't think that's fair. If we removed every post that couldn't be answered by a doctor, midwife, or pediatrician, we'd probably be left with gender prediction and baby names. (Not that there's anything wrong with those posts! I think they're fun).

Lets just keep it friendly, okay? If you don't want to read a particular thread that doesn't interest you, no one is forcing you to. The same should apply to everyone.
  • Options
    And for the record I have always been supportive on this board. All I suggested was she scroll down and she'd find a very thorough answer to her question.
  • Options
    Good--let's all be supportive. That's the whole point of this whole birth club, surely.
  • Options
    Lets make this thread all about @spratt3, shall we??
  • Options
    Sammyk--Really??
  • Options
    @mariediane, so sorry your post was hijacked. I hope you got the answer you were looking for...
  • Options
    Sammyk...I wish I could take you out for coffee. I really do.
  • Options
    I'd hate to go to coffee with you. We would never be friends IRL. Thanks anyway.
  • Options
    Okay. Well you have a good day then.
  • Options
    Haha. Nice ones, guys :)
  • Options

Same thing happened to me at DD's pedi. It's definitely a liability thing. I got it from my OB instead.

BFP#1 11-26-10 MMC 1-13-11
    BFP#2 6-8-11 Eleanor Beatrice born 2-15-12
    BFP#3 9-4-13 Benjamin Lee born 4-28-14

• Options
    Absolutely. I got mine at my 9wk nurse visit. Other than a sore arm for a couple days, I had no side effects. I've had three u/s since then and our twins are doing fine.
  • Options
    spratt3 said:

Good--let's all be supportive. That's the whole point of this whole birth club, surely.

No, that is not the point of this board. As it has been mentioned on other topics and boards, this board is for entertainment and to make money.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I would just like to note that I went back for 5 pages and did not see another flu shot post... To the OP my OB recommended I get a flu shot at my first visit.

Then get it. I don't know about you, but I trust the person with the degree in medicine.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

• Options

spratt3 said:

No, that is not the point of this board. As it has been mentioned on other topics and boards, this board is for entertainment and to make money.
    I'm not going to comment on this anymore. Just be nice to each other. That's all I have to say.
  • Options
    I would just like to note that I went back for 5 pages and did not see another flu shot post... To the OP my OB recommended I get a flu shot at my first visit.

There is also a search function. It works.
  • Options
    83edwards said:

I would just like to note that I went back for 5 pages and did not see another flu shot post...
    To the OP my OB recommended I get a flu shot at my first visit.

There is also a search function. It works.

There's also this crazy website called google....

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    No. Your body will slowly liquify from the inside out, which is not safe during pregnancy.

• Options
    spratt3 said:
    sammy.k said:
    " Spacepotatoes--I don't think this post is very friendly. Many of us don't have time to read through every post that gets posted here, and I don't think we should be held accountable for not scrupulously scanning every board to make sure the topic has never been mentioned before. Boards like this are bound to get repetitive. If you don't want to read something you've already read about, by all means don't. But don't make someone feel bad for asking a valid question/raising a concern.
    That's why Jesus and Al Gore invented the search box feature on the internet.

• Options
    My doctor won't give me mine until 2nd tri so that might be their thoughts here.
    TTC since August 2011
    Cycle 8,9,10 - 50mg Clomid - BFN
    Cycle 11, 100 mg Clomid & IUI#1- BFP 2/23/13 - m/c 4/2/13 @ 9w2d
    Cycle 13, 100 mg Clomid & IUI#2 - BFP 6/27/13 - CP
    Surprise Natural BFP 9/9/13 - Welcomed baby boy May 25, 2014
    TTC Buddies with *noelcallum* - Congratulations!
    Knottie Besties with *SparklingDiamond* - Congratulations!
  • Options
    YESSSS!!!!!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"