Multiples
Options

Surgery during 2nd trimester with twins

Hi everyone.
I'm pretty new to the discussion forums so I'll start with a little intro.

I'm Lori, 37, first pregnancy with di-di twins. 16 weeks today!

So far things have been going well pregnancy wise, despite a number of reasons for me being in the high risk category.
Early in my pregnancy I was diagnosed with cancer (metastatic melanoma in the lymph nodes in my right armpit) and because of that I'll be having surgery next week to have the lymph nodes removed.   My MFM doctor and my oncologist assure me it's the safest time for the babies to do this and that everything will be fine. I can't help but be nervous, not for myself but for our babies. 

Has anyone undergone a surgical procedure during pregnancy for a maternal condition?  How did things turn out? Were there any extra precautions taken as a result of you being pregnant?  I suggested I'd even stay awake and have the procedure done under local anesthetic only but given the length and extent of the surgery my surgeon suggested it's best I'm under general anesthesia to avoid stress.  MFM will visit me in recovery to check on the babies right away.  

As much as I am very anxious to get the surgery so I can tell myself the cancer is gone and I can just relax and grow some babies, I'm sure I'll be a complete mess until after it's done and I know the little ones are ok!

If anyone has any experiences to share I would love to hear them. Otherwise please keep us in your thoughts on Nov 1st for a successful surgery! :)

Cheers,
Lori

Re: Surgery during 2nd trimester with twins

• Options
    I seem to recall @rynleigh going through surgery during her twin pregnancy..
    I have never been through what you're facing. Will be keeping you in T&P for a smooth, successful procedure and recovery!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Options
    I had a major emergency surgery done when I was 32 weeks (maybe 34...not positive) with my DD. I was under for about 2 hours and they cut me open from my just under my breasts all the way down to my pelvic bone. My intestines had become twisted and lost the blood supply. They told me they would have to deliver DD and take her to NICU at another hospital but when I woke up I was still pregnant, they had been able to just slide her around inside me and I guess you can actually lift the uterus out without causing problems. It was a long slow recovery but we made it and I carried DD full term. I did insist on being taken off the morphine drip after a few days because it was making me hallucinate and I was told it passes through the placenta, so I only took tylenol with codeine after that...still passes but not as bad. DD was monitored by an OB throughout the entire procedure. They did tell me that general anesthesia for me would pass to her but she was fine. I know it's not exactly the same as your situation and I was a bit farther along but I just wanted to chime in and say that I did have a major surgery while pregnant, unplanned even, and all went well. I would suggest you ask for the babies to be monitored throughout the procedure if that is not already the plan.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't have experience. But sending you T&Ps!
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • Options
    They are right about this being the safest time, medication and stability wise, for an operation. LadyBug's experience is amazing and very very lucky! I'm so glad she was able to have such a positive outcome!

They typically like to do it right now because earlier is more likely to cause a miscarriage, and later is more likely to result in pre-term labor and/or babies being affected by medications. 

My surgery was to remove my right ovary at 17w (which was 2 liters large, at that time). Because my surgery involved close proximity with the uterus, they gave me medications to prevent contractions. I was under general for my operation, as well. My surgery was on a Tuesday, and I was released that Friday (mine was a 7" abdominal incision). My MFM advocated for me to continue receiving medication to prevent contractions for the first 48hrs after the procedure, and for me to receive an epidural and post-op monitoring/ultrasounds, to help with my anxiety. 

The idea of being put under was terrifying, and I did panic when I woke up because I had an oxygen mask over my face - but everything went well. 

There are always risks, but my boys are now happy 9 month old balls of health. 

Melanoma is a scary thing to be dealing with period, let alone during pregnancy :(  
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    I have no information but am so sorry to hear about your cancer :( I wish you all the best in your recovery and pray for a happy and healthy remaining 6 months.
  • Options
    I'd like to chime in as well and agree with prior sentiments - I truly wish you the best recovery and prognosis, and send many thoughts and prayers that all goes well, and that the remainder of your pregnancy is uneventful. 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    I also want to wish you the best recovery and prognosis. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers for you and the little ones!
  • Options
    Thanks so much ladies for sharing your personal experiences as well as T&P's!! 
  • Options
    My thoughts are with you! No experience to share but noticed but we are due date buddies! Keep us posted and we are cheering for you!

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"