Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Ready for Rice cereal??

My baby is 4 months and 3weeks. She had her 4 month check up already. So it is up to me when to start her on rice cereal. How do you know when they are ready? She has really been watching me eat lately-like she wants some. She is a formula baby...My milk supply was too low. She is a little peanut-she weighs 13.1 pounds. she was little when she was born-6 pounds. She is growing good my Dr. says. I was thinking about starting her in a couple of weeks? When did you decide?

Re: Ready for Rice cereal??

• Options
    Did you talk to your ped about it at the 4mo appointment? Ours ok'ed starting food at 4mo due to DD's development, but she wasn't ready until closer to 5mo. Rice cereal is not necessary, there's not much nutritional value in it. We started with puréed veggies.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    Being interested isn't really a great indicator because everything is interesting to them :)  The closer you get to 6 months, the more ready they'll be.  How is her head and trunk control?  They really should be able to sit in a highchair that isn't reclined and for some babies that really is an issues before closer to 6 months.  
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS started showing interest and so the doc gave us the thumbs up at his 4 month appt so we started it on his 4th month birthday with some cereal. It took a few days but he just loves it now! He will even grab the spoon and put it in his mouth (obviously spilling the cereal everywhere but it's very cute) and he has figured out to open his mouth nice and wide and how to swallow. It didn't take long.  He is watching us very intently when we eat in front of him too. 

I read recently that there should be some interest shown by the baby (curiosity) and that they need to be able to hold their head up well.  You could always try it and if she isn't ready, you will know as soon as you try. 

• Options
    My LO is the same age as yours. Our doc said that "you will know when their ready". I have heard this a few different times when talking to other moms, as well. DH said we will introduce it on LO's 5 mo birthday, so we will see. I also heard to go by when formula/milk isn't satisfying LO any longer. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My doc said to skip cereal it was empty calories and to start with something like sweet potato. Sounded great and my ds loved it. Will do it with dd when 6 mont
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Cereal is just empty calories with no nutritional value.  Unless your baby has reflux I am actually shocked your doctor would even recommend it.  Mine said to stay far, far away.  We are starting with veggies and tofu between 6-8 months.  Hoping to get closer to 8 months.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    Cereal is not really a necessary precursor to eating other solids. I'm going to start when interest peaks and I will start with cereal just to help transition since I can put formula into it.

I honestly hate the argument that cereal has no real nutritional value. It has some value, not as great as pure veggies and fruit but then again some fruit is jam packed full of sugar! I'm pretty sure at some point in your kids life they will be eating things that have no nutritional value at all and they'll be fine. The cereals are not that bad but they aren't the "best" choice either. Do what you feel comfortable with. If you see your child isn't responding well to solids then just stop and try again in a couple of weeks.

Good luck!
    Oct. 2012: Clomid + Ovidrel = Baby A born 07.17.13 at 38 wks! 
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    BFP#1 02/26/14 CP 02/28/14
    BFP#2 03/23/14 Stick Baby Stick!
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    taraleannetaraleanne member
    edited October 2013
    @pgermain11 I honestly hate the argument that cereal has no real nutritional value. It has some value, not as great as pure veggies and fruit but then again some fruit is jam packed full of sugar! I'm pretty sure at some point in your kids life they will be eating things that have no nutritional value at all and they'll be fine. The cereals are not that bad but they aren't the "best" choice either. Do what you feel comfortable with. If you see your child isn't responding well to solids then just stop and try again in a couple of weeks. Good luck!
    I agree with you. It does have some value, and MANY medical professions recommend it as a place to start with solids. Haven't kids been starting with pablum for YEARS? That's what alot of babies started with. My mom gave it to me at 3 months and I have no food allergies and think I turned out just fine ;) , same thing with my husband at 4 months old. This is over 30 years ago.  I like it because I can add my breastmilk to it and clearly my son likes it, it's an easy and babies have been eating it for centuries.  Where I live the public health is recommending babies start with meats now. Not long ago it was veggies. One day it's 6 months, one day it's 4 months. Doctor to doctor, professional to professional, everyone has a different opinion. I think the parent has to do what they think is best. Every kid develops at a different rate so the 4 or 6 months is just a guideline. 
    Sidenote, I feel Ok about giving my son pablum. Parents are giving their baby a lot worse- I know someone how has given a slurpee to a baby under 1 and I have seen children under 2 with pepsi bottles...  CRINGE!!

• Options
    Cereal is not really a necessary precursor to eating other solids. I'm going to start when interest peaks and I will start with cereal just to help transition since I can put formula into it. I honestly hate the argument that cereal has no real nutritional value. It has some value, not as great as pure veggies and fruit but then again some fruit is jam packed full of sugar! I'm pretty sure at some point in your kids life they will be eating things that have no nutritional value at all and they'll be fine. The cereals are not that bad but they aren't the "best" choice either. Do what you feel comfortable with. If you see your child isn't responding well to solids then just stop and try again in a couple of weeks. Good luck!
    Everything has nutritional value of course.  It's just that the cereals tend to have the same nutritional value as white bread, which is why some people choose to go a different route.  Home made fruit purees have natural sugars which are very different than the kind of sugar in cereals and candy.  
  • Options
    My Doctor says the rice cereal is for the iron it has in it.
  • Options
    trudibell said:
    Cereal is not really a necessary precursor to eating other solids. I'm going to start when interest peaks and I will start with cereal just to help transition since I can put formula into it. I honestly hate the argument that cereal has no real nutritional value. It has some value, not as great as pure veggies and fruit but then again some fruit is jam packed full of sugar! I'm pretty sure at some point in your kids life they will be eating things that have no nutritional value at all and they'll be fine. The cereals are not that bad but they aren't the "best" choice either. Do what you feel comfortable with. If you see your child isn't responding well to solids then just stop and try again in a couple of weeks. Good luck!
    Everything has nutritional value of course.  It's just that the cereals tend to have the same nutritional value as white bread, which is why some people choose to go a different route.  Home made fruit purees have natural sugars which are very different than the kind of sugar in cereals and candy.  
    Regardless of it being different sugars it's still sugar. Even diabetics stay away from eating too many fruits.

Despite this long argument about solids, everyone's child is different and each parent should do what they feel is the best. If your kid isn't ready until 6 months, then so be it, but I know PLENTY of kids who were ready at 4 months so it's sad to judge a mom who is asking about cereal for her 4 months old (not saying you were). It's not like she is giving the child a coke or a piece of steak. 
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    imageimage

• Options
    @pgermain11 I honestly hate the argument that cereal has no real nutritional value. It has some value, not as great as pure veggies and fruit but then again some fruit is jam packed full of sugar! I'm pretty sure at some point in your kids life they will be eating things that have no nutritional value at all and they'll be fine. The cereals are not that bad but they aren't the "best" choice either. Do what you feel comfortable with. If you see your child isn't responding well to solids then just stop and try again in a couple of weeks. Good luck!
    I agree with you. It does have some value, and MANY medical professions recommend it as a place to start with solids. Haven't kids been starting with pablum for YEARS? That's what alot of babies started with. My mom gave it to me at 3 months and I have no food allergies and think I turned out just fine ;) , same thing with my husband at 4 months old. This is over 30 years ago.  I like it because I can add my breastmilk to it and clearly my son likes it, it's an easy and babies have been eating it for centuries.  Where I live the public health is recommending babies start with meats now. Not long ago it was veggies. One day it's 6 months, one day it's 4 months. Doctor to doctor, professional to professional, everyone has a different opinion. I think the parent has to do what they think is best. Every kid develops at a different rate so the 4 or 6 months is just a guideline. 
    Sidenote, I feel Ok about giving my son pablum. Parents are giving their baby a lot worse- I know someone how has given a slurpee to a baby under 1 and I have seen children under 2 with pepsi bottles...  CRINGE!!
    You see, the way it works is that new research is done and new recommendations come about. Unfortunately, many doctors and others are behind in their research, hence different recommendations. 

I have yet to see a baby who is ready for solids at 4 months. Most aren't ready until 6. Parents get too excited to take a picture of them shoving runny rice cereal into their mouths instead of thinking about whether their child is actually ready or not. There is no way to see inside their gut to see if they're truly ready, that's why waiting is better. 

Most people didn't ride in carseats 30 years ago - guess we don't have to use those either. 
    Who said anything about doing what was done 30 years ago? Comparing eating rice cereal to an important safety issue like the use of a car seat is grossly dramatic. 
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    imageimage

• Options
    Regardless of it being different sugars it's still sugar. Even diabetics stay away from eating too many fruits.

Despite this long argument about solids, everyone's child is different and each parent should do what they feel is the best. If your kid isn't ready until 6 months, then so be it, but I know PLENTY of kids who were ready at 4 months so it's sad to judge a mom who is asking about cereal for her 4 months old (not saying you were). It's not like she is giving the child a coke or a piece of steak. 

There's a profound difference between complex and simple sugars.  I'm not judging, women should do what's right for their families, I was just saying that's the argument people have against beginning non-formula or breast milk with cereals.  
  • Options
    Personally, we chose to skip cereal and to wait to start solids until 6 months. This is the current recommendation of the AAP, and it was the recommendation of our pediatrician. Around 6 months, our son started sitting up by himself, grabbing at our food, and seemed really ready. We started solids a few days after his 6 month birthday and he is doing great. But you should do whatever works for you and your baby.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    You see, the way it works is that new research is done and new recommendations come about. Unfortunately, many doctors and others are behind in their research, hence different recommendations. 

I have yet to see a baby who is ready for solids at 4 months. Most aren't ready until 6. Parents get too excited to take a picture of them shoving runny rice cereal into their mouths instead of thinking about whether their child is actually ready or not. There is no way to see inside their gut to see if they're truly ready, that's why waiting is better. 

Most people didn't ride in carseats 30 years ago - guess we don't have to use those either. 
    I will respectfully disagree with you. Yes, doctors aren't up to date with their research, I agree with this, but the research is constantly changing, it's absolutely ridiculous.  Sure, you can wait till 6 months, that's fine. But all babies develop at different rates, some will be ready before others. 6 months or 4 moths, it is a guideline, not a date set in stone. Just like all the babies smile, laugh, roll, walk, talk, potty train, etc... at different times.  I still feel like it's up to the parent, the doctor and the signs of the baby as to whether or not the parent wants to go this route.  I'm sorry, but it has NOTHING to do with a picture nor does it have anything to do with carseat safety .....

I had it when I was 3 months old, my husband when he was 4 months old. We both have had no issues, no allergies- all is well.  When I gave my 4 month old cereal I gave it to him in very very small does and watched for any problems as suggested by my doctor and numerous other health  professionals (I work in healthcare). Now a days he's nearly 5 months old and he is watching our every bite like a hawk and I can tell he can't wait to get some of what we're having into his mouth. Will I give him anything? No not yet, I'm cautiously waiting but I'm sure I won't be waiting till his 6th month birthday, I can tell he'll be ready to at least try something before.  Again, up to the parent, the one who is with the baby all the time. Some babies are ready before others, plain and simple. 

• Options
    I had the same concern with my 4 month old. After reading all of your posts, I'm more than convinced that my husband and i are doing the right thing by waiting a little longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"