I have been lurking for a while. It's beyond time that I do an introduction and of course now I have a question too.
My DS1 (just turned 3 in September) has been diagnosed with an ASD. We also have 9 month old twins (DS2 and DD) -- DD aspirated when swallowing from birth and has a feeding tube. She has been taking all her food/formula (thickened) by mouth since she was 5 months old. We do not know the cause of her swallowing difficulties, but naturally we are on high alert for additional problems.
It was after the birth of the twins that we started to suspect that DS1 was on the spectrum Before that we were only aware of a slight speech delay (which we'd had evaluated privately and no therapy was recommended). He showed zero interest in his siblings. We enrolled him in daycare three days a week and typical ASD issues came to light there -- playing alone, transition issues, etc. Long story short, he was evaluated by EI in July and started receiving services from the school district (at his daycare) in September. We were on the waiting list for a medical evaluation and got in with a cancellation at the beginning of the month. We are getting ready to start him in a day treatment program 3 hours a day for 3 or 5 days a week (plus individual speech and OT -- probably once a week). We expect that our insurance will cover 5 days, but we are considering doing only 3 days of day treatment and 2 days at his current daycare with school district services. He has made big strides in only a month of services from the district. He gets 45 minutes each with an ECSE teacher, SLP and OT per week. He now talks about "school" when he is not there, asks to see his friends (by name) and looks forward to attending. When he gets there in the morning he seeks out his friends to play. I hate to take him out of that class when he is enjoying it and doing so well.
So my question -- are we crazy for considering turning down services covered by insurance? And if we need/want to increase to 5 days a week of therapy down the line is it going to be impossible to get insurance to cover increased services? We can't do 5 days of private treatment and school district services because he still needs to nap a few days a week.
I feel like we are still learning the lay of the land on accessing ASD services and I don't want to make a mistake because we weren't aware of something that we should be considering. Thanks in advance for any insight!