Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Still swaddle??

Does anyone have a baby who is still swaddled at night? Or had a baby who was still swaddled past 6 months old?? How do I end it? I'm not sure if I'm dealing with startle reflex still or if its a case of "he can't put himself back to sleep." He'll be 6 months in a few days. He doesn't sleep well because he wants to sleep on his tummy but I don't allow him too since he's still swaddled. He will purple cry if I just leave him w/o it

Re: Still swaddle??

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    LisaLisa1980LisaLisa1980 member
    edited October 2013

Is he rolling? If he's rolling its not safe to continue swaddling him. If he is rolling onto his tummy then its okay to start letting him sleep on his tummy. DD started around that age. Its terrifying at first, but is just one of those things that happens. If you post this on the 6-9 board I bet you will have a lot more people in the same position as you right now.

He only rolls if he sleeps in his crib which is only for naps. At night he is in a Moses basket & there is no room for him to roll.
    But the issue is that he can't sleep w/0 the swaddle
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, swaddling isn't safe anymore. He's old enough to sleep on his tummy. Once they roll they can sleep however they want.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Yeah, swaddling isn't safe anymore. He's old enough to sleep on his tummy. Once they roll they can sleep however they want.

So tell me how to get him to sleep without one because its impossible

• Options
  • Options
    I never swaddled any of my children. So I'm no help there. I just know that once they roll a swaddle becomes unsafe. I'd just take it away and deal with it for a few nights. Once they sleep on their tummies they sleep better anyways. But what do I know. My kid still sleeps in bed with us.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I never swaddled any of my children. So I'm no help there. I just know that once they roll a swaddle becomes unsafe. I'd just take it away and deal with it for a few nights. Once they sleep on their tummies they sleep better anyways. But what do I know. My kid still sleeps in bed with us.

He can't roll in his Moses basket so there is no danger there. He only rolls in his crib which he does not use at night. The thing about just going cold turkey is that DS has no problem screaming his head off until he gets his way & my H has to get up at 6am. There's no way he can function with no sleep. There must be an easier way.
  • Options
    Yah, you definitely wanna break this one just for sake of baby not being able to use their arms.

Do you use a sleep sack with the swaddle arms? Or just a swaddle blanket?

If sleep sack, secure with one arm out of swaddle. Try for a few nights. Then take both but keep swaddle "arms" wrapped around body so he still feels cuddled.

If you're using a swaddle blanket or pod, then maybe try sleep sack with the arms so he gets used to his legs being free. Then try above slow steps. HTH!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
  • Options

Yah, you definitely wanna break this one just for sake of baby not being able to use their arms.

Do you use a sleep sack with the swaddle arms? Or just a swaddle blanket?

If sleep sack, secure with one arm out of swaddle. Try for a few nights. Then take both but keep swaddle "arms" wrapped around body so he still feels cuddled.

If you're using a swaddle blanket or pod, then maybe try sleep sack with the arms so he gets used to his legs being free. Then try above slow steps. HTH!

He sleeps in a woombie

• Options
  • Options

Well, for the sake of your LOs proper growth, development, and safety, I'd urge you to pick a method and let the kids arms free. Even if he is not rolling in the Moses basket, he needs to be able to at night soon. Otherwise, he is not going to be able to practice crawling, pulling up, etc... which most kids do a lot at night. That is developmentally normal. I have never heard of using a bassinet/moses basket/cradle past 6 months either because they become unsafe. Many LOs start pulling up after 7 months. Crawling is pretty normal anywhere from 6-9. To have his arms still pinned to his sides when he is capable of rolling is not healthy for him and could delay other milestones. I'm guessing that is not what you want to hear, but your LO needs his arms freed

Well, he doesn't seem delayed in other areas. He's crawling, rolling etc... I agree that we need to ditch the swaddle though

• Options
    Merlin's Magic Sleep Suit is one option a lot of mamas use.

You could also try a Zipadee-Zip (google it to find the website).

We went cold turkey and she was fine after 2 nights... Yeah those 2 nights sucked, but life with a baby is unpredictable.  My husband wouldn't dare complain to me about LO crying at night because he has to go to work... Maybe you should talk to him about the fact that your child is 50% his responsibility, and that babies = crying :P
  • Options
    Unfortunately, a lot of things we have to do involve many many days of hard core sucking (like swaddle breaking, sleep training, teething, toddler bed transitions, etc.)  You just have to deal with it as if it's not optional, because it really isn't.  If your baby was sick and up all night screaming, it would suck but your DH would know it couldn't be helped and is temporary.  Same with this.

I would transition him to a sleep sack with the wrap around swaddle and every night wrap it a little looser.  Then wrap him with only one arm in then with both arms out but the swaddle gentle wrapped around him.  He will get used to it in time.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    JJ_13JJ_13 member
    edited October 2013

In my opinion, 6 months is a good time to transition out of the swaddle and out of the moses basket. He needs to be able to roll in his sleep and he's probably ready to be done with the swaddle. We transitioned out of swaddle at 5.5 months and to crib (from rock n play) at 6 months and then to her own room at 6.5 months. It was a busy month!

We went cold turkey from a swaddle (miracle blanket) to the sleep sack. There was some protesting - we rocked her, nursed, whatever, but she actually ended up sleeping much better.

Once you're LO isn't swaddled, there's no "danger" from rolling anyway (especially at 6 months) and it'll be better for him to be in the crib (or at least a larger sleeping space - e.g. a shared bed or whatever). I'm amazed at how much LO rolls all over her crib at night!!

I do know people who have sworn by the merlin's magic suit and/or the zipadeezip suit, so those are transitional options. Like I said though, we went straight to a sleep sack (we use Halo and Aiden & Anais sleep sacks) and plan to keep her in a sleep sack as long as possible. 6 months is also a good time to introduce a "lovey" or transitional object. Make sure it is small and has no dangerous/removable parts that could pose choking risks. Those little 12x12 inch security blankets are a good option. 

ETA: I would not want an unswaddled 6 month old in a moses basket - the rolling there probably *could* be dangerous because I'm assuming the sides are solid/padded (similar to a bumper). The crib (with no bumper or a mesh bumper) is a safer option.

• Options

He can't roll in his Moses basket so there is no danger there. He only rolls in his crib which he does not use at night. The thing about just going cold turkey is that DS has no problem screaming his head off until he gets his way & my H has to get up at 6am. There's no way he can function with no sleep. There must be an easier way.

Nope. There's not an easier way. Rock your baby, offer the breast or pacifier, whatever it takes to provide comfort (or keep swaddling if you want and your pedi thinks it's safe/okay and you aren't ready to switch out) but babies cry to get "their way" (which, by the way, is just what they've grown accustomed to through our parenting) but they do adjust eventually. My DH and I both work full time so we split night duties as much as reasonably possible, but if we were in your situation, I'd probably sleep in the guest room for the transition nights and DH would put on loud white noise and ear plugs and sleep in teh master bedroom so he could get his sleep. I don't love that idea, but I do understand that some jobs require someone to be well-rested.
  • Options
    He managed to sleep 30 mins unswaddled in his crib.... Then screamed for an hour..... Oh man.....
  • Options
    You've gotten really good advice here so I don't want to repeat.

We went cold turkey at 4.5 months. We were going to do it at 4 months but we waited til she recovered from her 4 month immunization and then did it. The first night was rough, the second night was better and she was good on the third night. To be honest we got the magic sleep suit, I even washed it and intended to use it but we decided to go cold turkey so that she doesn't have to go through the transition twice and honestly it really does work if you're willing to put up with a couple of rough nights.

As far as your husband's sleep, if you have a bigger house, maybe he could sleep in a guest room or basement, somewhere farther from the baby. We don't have a big house. DD's room is right next to ours, so like 10 feet. My DH gets up at 5 am and he has a job where he needs to be alert and functional. He's never complained though. Treat it as LO is sick or teething and I'd suggest starting it on a friday if your DH has the weekend off.

Also my DD used to sleep in the RnP, once transitioned to a crib without the swaddle (we did it the same night), she's been doing 360 moves in the crib but she doesn't wake herself up and sleeps much much better now that she can use her hands and is not restricted.

Good luck!
  • Options
    He managed to sleep 30 mins unswaddled in his crib.... Then screamed for an hour..... Oh man.....
    This is totally normal and I think part of him protesting for so long is because he's older (6 months?) and is so used to the current situation that makes it hard for him to transition easily. Hang in there, it'll get better if you stick with it.
  • Options
    Question for you guys.... DS has been able to sleep (naps) without a swaddle. Longest hrs napped without one is 3 hours. So why does he need it most days and other times he's fine without it?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank you!! I was really starting to wonder if I have " ruined" his sleep by always swaddling him.
  • Options
    We swaddled our daughter until after her 9 month appt when my pediatrician advised us that it was more dangerous to keep her swaddled. We now have her in a sleepsack for night and nap time.
  • Options
    honestly, i haven't swaddled dd since she came home from the hospital lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I switched my daughter to sleep sacks at night around 6 months BUT I continued to swaddle her with her arms out until about 81/2 months!  If she wasn't swaddled, she slept for like 20 minutes.  If she was really cranky, the second I started to swaddle her, she would calm down.  Now, at 91/2 months, I put her in her sleep sack for naps. 

• Options
    I chuckle at this post bc I was sooo anxious about this at 4 months. We went cold turkey and transition from rock n play and swaddled to unswaddled and crib at 4 months. He had a sleep regression and lots of tears occurred- he cried some too :) Now I laugh bc all the CIO debates seem so in the past. Babies cry, they learn to self soothe and even learn to sleep. Rip the bandaid and know it might be a bad month but you are setting your child up for good sleep habits. Plus developmentally the crib is much better for babies. They need to practice their baby skills at night.

Ps both my husband and I work crazy stressful jobs so the 6 AM wake time just makes me laugh. We are all sleep deprived bc we are parents!
  • Options
    I swear by the Zipadeezip. It took a few nights, but that transition was WAY easier than trying cold turkey which I did first. After a few months we transitioned him from that to a sleep sack and have had no problems. Google it. It's a full body sleep sack with arms so it dampens the startle reflex.
    Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • Options
    My Dd was swaddled until around 6-7 months. It took a few days, but she was fine. Moving her to the crib was awful though. I did that around 7-8 months.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As PP said, if he can roll and prefers his belly, I would just put him down on his belly, no swaddle. Maybe try a sleep sack instead -- might give him the same feeling as being (loosely) swaddled but much safer for a roller.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We still swaddle, and DS2 is almost 10 months.  When he gets tired, he gets super antsy and fights sleep by touching/grabbing everything he can.  We swaddle to nurse (or for a bottle if I'm not around).  After he falls asleep, we open up the swaddle and put him down so that he is free to roll over.  He needs it to fall asleep, but not to stay asleep.  

Take my advice with a grain of salt though.  Both our boys are/were terrible sleepers!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"