Pregnant after 35
Options

:(

I'm feeling really down today and more than a little stressed out. Insurance denied our appeal and we are going to have to pay for the quad screen and level 2 ultrasound. That's about a thousand dollars we're going to have to come up with before we even have our baby. I hate to see what's going to happen with the hospital bill. I was told that because these 2 claims were diagnostic rather than preventative that's why they weren't covered and were subject to our deductable. It makes no sense to me. My dr hasn't had any other patients have this issue getting it covered. I hate insurance. :(
Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.

Re: :(

• Options
    Man, what a bummer.   Will the Dr. office work with you on a discounted rate since you're paying OOP?
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options

oh my gosh...how frustrating!  I have to pay for my NS test b/c of deductible ... ugh $323.  strange amount.. I cannot believe your insurance doesnt cover those tests.  I will also have to pay for my as next month.. not thrilled about that

I hope your test results come out wonderfully

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It was the quad screen that was so high and according to the bill they already adjusted it down from $1640.84 to $691.88.

@kelley72 we already got our results way back in 2nd tri and after doing the level 2 we were told everything looked great, so at least baby is healthy. But this testing should be covered, it's just ridiculous. I'm really not looking forward to telling my husband.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, that stinks.

If if applies to your deductible, is it possible you'd be maxing out your deductible this year anyway with labor & delivery, so in other words, it's all $$ you'd be out one way or another?? (I know we're a little bummed our tests are in a difference calendar year from our delivery for this reason!)

Insurance does stink. There is absolutely no transparency or consistency in medical costs.

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• Options
    Yuck. Sorry to hear this.  There is a woman in my monthly centering class at the hospital who was just telling me something screwy along these lines with her quad screenings and insurance.  This testing indeed should be covered and it's not like they are overboard testing.  I guess at least it was adjusted down a bit.. still... your results were good above and beyond.  I know that doesn't help the money situation though or the principle of the matter.
  • Options
    Can you get on a payment plan which makes it less painful to pay. I'm currently paying my IF blood work from March. Since it was a $$$ bill. I should be done in December.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry you are feeling down. Unexpected costs stink. Just an fyi though.. the decrease in price on your bill is likely due to discounted price the insurance company already negotiated for you.. Not due to the dr's office volunterring to lower the price. This initial price would have been what you had to pay if you didnt have insurance.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Can you appeal the insurance  decision with a note from the dr saying it was screening and not diagnostic? Only amnio or cvs is diagnostic.. A technicality to be sure but truth. The cover allsorts of preventative health screenings like mammos so why not the quad screen etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"