Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Prevacid and acid reflux

Greetings! I have a 7 week old with avid reflux who has just started on Prevacid after Zantac did not work. We are supposed to dissolve half a tablet in 1-2 ml of water and then administer via a syringe. The tablet doesn't dissolve well and we are looking for suggestions regarding how others have administered it. Any tricks or suggestions would be appreciated. Also, how long did it take to work? Did it diminish the frequency & vomiting after feedings? Thank you!

Re: Prevacid and acid reflux

• Options
    My son gets 15 mg of the solutab of Prevacid (down from 30) which takes effect immediately. If we miss a dose, he throws up.

That being said, he is 3. We did try dissolving it, but the granules do not seem to dissolve completely. I'd do what previous poster said and try putting it in LO's cheek. Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have been dissolving the tablet in her mouth while I hold it in place. Nothing else worked.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You could try a really large syringe, drop the chopped up tab in it with water and shake until dissolved.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    My son is ten weeks and also on the Prevacid solutabs. We didn't like the syringe method either and our pedi recommended crushing the tablet in a spoon, getting the tip of your finger wet, and having him suck the powder off your finger. Repeat until all the dose is gone. My son likes the taste, so this is an easy way fo us. Also, I am a pharmacist so I will now be recommending this to my own patients.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"