Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

To stop breastfeeding

Hi 
I really need your help. My daughter is almost 11 months old and I want to stop breastfeeding her. The breastfeeding has been hell, for me at least. She drinks a 6 and 9 in the morning and then at 3 (in the afternoon) and then before she goes to sleep at 8. She drinks juice at lunch and at dinner. I have tried to quit and I started at the 3, and I gave her NAN, the problem is that she does not want to drink the NAN (or any other formula) well she sometimes drinks it but when she does it is only a small portion. My worries are that if I keep doing this and I keep on trying to give her formula and she does not drink it well. Then what to do ? Isn´t milk still a important factor ? Is it okey that she only get´s a small portion of milk every day ? 

Re: To stop breastfeeding

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Well, at 11 months you could probably just wean her to regular cows milk (whole milk is best)or goats milk (goats milk is gentler on their tummy). No need for formula at all. I'd drop the juice as well. Juice is not beneficial to babies or toddlers. It's just sugar and isn't that great for their teeth. We only give milk or water to our toddler at 3. Also, the AAP doesn't suggest juice before 1 unless it's 1 oz of prune, apple, or pear juice watered down for constipation.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, at 11 months you could probably just wean her to regular cows milk (whole milk is best)or goats milk (goats milk is gentler on their tummy). No need for formula at all. I'd drop the juice as well. Juice is not beneficial to babies or toddlers. It's just sugar and isn't that great for their teeth. We only give milk or water to our toddler at 3. Also, the AAP doesn't suggest juice before 1 unless it's 1 oz of prune, apple, or pear juice watered down for constipation.

I agree with all of this.

And the amount of milk your LO needs probably depends on their growth rate etc, so if she still isn't taking very much formula or cow's milk, I'd talk to your pediatrician about how much is necessary in her case.  Have you tried pumping breast milk and serving half-and-half breast milk and formula or cows milk to help get her used to the new flavor?  Also try giving it in a cup instead of a bottle...

• Options

Another tip that might help would be to start out with warm milk/formula. It took a little bit for my kids to get used to drinking milk from the fridge.

Mommy to Evelyn Clare born 6/23/07, Ryan Hansen born 12/10/09, and Charlotte Nicole born 11/1/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"