October 2013 Moms

Moms with outside babies- how long are you using Tucks pads for?

I had a 2nd degree tear and I've been putting Tucks pads in my pad since I delivered. However, I'm getting tired of sitting on the damp pads and I think I'm starting to chafe and get a small rash from it. Is anyone else still using them? I'm scared that sitting on a dry pad will hurt too...what's everyone doing?

Re: Moms with outside babies- how long are you using Tucks pads for?

• I just used it at the hospital because they were getting annoying. I brought some home but put them on my boobs instead :)
  • I didn't use them. I find them more uncomfortable than anything. Last time I was very uncomfortable and used the ice pack pads for as long as I could. This time, I wasn't in as much pain (even though I had the exact same episiotomy and stitching) and the hospital didn't give me those pads to take home. I've been wearing Depends since the hospital because I didn't want to worry about leaking through pads and it's been fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Loading the player...
  • I did witch hazel on a pad (basically same as tucks). For about 2 weeks, then I switch to dermoplast to help with the itching from healing.

photo 45ad94ec-8f7e-4e11-afa6-d58d009e0ecb_zpse556e368.jpg  image image

• I'm now just using them here and there. The wetness of them, was really irritating my skin. I use a little baby powder here and there on the sides (by my groin) to help keep it dry.
  • Never used them. No tearing here though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • huntjul said:

Never used them. No tearing here though.

Flat tummy and no tearing?! Some people have all the luck...

• Only used them in the hospital. I had two first degree tears and I'm not missing them one bit. I uses them for a few weeks afterward with my first and it actually made my recovery worse. I had some complications down there and learned after the fact that the tucks added to the problem.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used them at the hospital mostly.  Once I got home I used them maybe once or twice in the first week depending on the pain/discomfort at the time.  I only had a small micro tear that didn't require stitches so that may be a reason I didn't need to use them as long as others may.

• I never used them and had a second degree tear, you should be fine without them. I just make sure to use my squirt bottle every now and then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a second degree tear and used them for a week pp. The hospital did give me a spray (dermoplast, I think they said you can get it at Wal-Mart) that really helps with the pain and its not uncomfortable at all. I still use the spray every now and again, but the pain has pretty much subsided for me.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks all! And damn you all with little to no tearing. I can't wait to have a normal-ish vag back.

@btimes3 i think they're cool enough on their own and it would be a pain to have to run to fridge every time.

I was using dermoplast some too but the last couple times it's felt warm/almost a burning sensation so i stopped.
  • I've been using them off and on. It 's been five days and I had a second degree tear. They were great the first day but after that, I've just been using a dry pad, unless I'm particularly achy.
  • I used the ones I brought home from the hospital and stopped when they ran out. Maybe four or five days PP?

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • btimes3 said:

Those of you who use them, do you think keeping the container in the fridge so they're extra cold would be a good idea?  Or just annoying to have to run to the fridge all the time?

In my opinion they were plenty cold and it takes long enough to pee now without adding in a trip to the fridge. I wouldn't bother.
  • Sorry to thread jack but did your hospitals automatically send you home with this kind of stuff or am I going to have to remember to ask for it? And what do you all recommend for the PP bleeding, just regular pads or Depends? I also heard that we aren't supposed to actually wipe after using the bathroom. Is this true and for how long? I'm getting nervous for the recovery process.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    photo ae9d6512-aa3f-4ee3-9605-e9c1b685f0eb_zps385c8147.jpg
  • Sorry to thread jack but did your hospitals automatically send you home with this kind of stuff or am I going to have to remember to ask for it? And what do you all recommend for the PP bleeding, just regular pads or Depends? I also heard that we aren't supposed to actually wipe after using the bathroom. Is this true and for how long? I'm getting nervous for the recovery process.

Yes, my hospital sent me home with mesh panties, pads, and Tucks. I did ask for extras before i left and have since restocked at Target. You shouldn't wipe- i use the peri bottle to rinse off and then blot with toilet paper or Tucks pads. Normal pads were fine for me, and I had an epistiotomy and a 2nd degree tear. I used thick pads for the first 5-6 days and then they were uncomfortable to sit on, so I'm using the Always ultra thins now. I got pads without wings because i was scared the wings would bunch up and get stuck to my stitches (probably not an issue since my stitches are all internal). I don't know how long you aren't supposed to wipe for, i guess until you feel back to normal? For me, I'm a week pp and that is not yet
  • Sorry to read jack but did your hospitals automatically send you home with this kind of stuff or am I going to have to remember to ask for it? And what do you all recommend for the PP bleeding, just regular pads or Depends? I also heard that we aren't supposed to actually wipe after using the bathroom. Is this true and for how long? I'm getting nervous for the recovery process.

They sent me home with the tucks pads and dermoplast. They gave it there and said I could take anything home except the linen. I also bought some of the tucks pads at Walmart beforehand but have hardly used them. I just pat with toilet paper, but I only have 2 micro tears with 2 stitches. I didn't even know I had a peri bottle. They never mentioned it until I saw it hiding in the bathroom. Haven't needed it tho. If you want anything extra, just ask the nurses! Mine were great

Yes, my hospital sent me home with mesh panties, pads, and Tucks. I did ask for extras before i left and have since restocked at Target. You shouldn't wipe- i use the peri bottle to rinse off and then blot with toilet paper or Tucks pads. Normal pads were fine for me, and I had an epistiotomy and a 2nd degree tear. I used thick pads for the first 5-6 days and then they were uncomfortable to sit on, so I'm using the Always ultra thins now. I got pads without wings because i was scared the wings would bunch up and get stuck to my stitches (probably not an issue since my stitches are all internal). I don't know how long you aren't supposed to wipe for, i guess until you feel back to normal? For me, I'm a week pp and that is not yet
    Thank you for the info!! :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    photo ae9d6512-aa3f-4ee3-9605-e9c1b685f0eb_zps385c8147.jpg
  • @petdocd ... Me too sister, me too. I'm a hot mess down there, it sucks. Here's hoping we're all back to normal sooner rather than later!
  • @comeongetdown did you stop using them when you felt normal? Or why did you stop at a week? I want to stop because i hate being damp but i want to heal. Ahhh
  • I only used them for the first week pp.

• I had a 2nd degree tear and used them for about a week PP. It wasn't really uncomfortable to just use a dry pad then for me, I just had to be a little careful sitting down or if I was moving around on the couch.
  • I had a 2nd degree tear and I only used the tuck pads for about two weeks pp.
  • Third degree tear here...I'm 17 days pp and used them for the first week...they annoyed my stitches but helped a little with hemroids
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
  • Thanks for the feedback...I haven't used any since earlier today and feel SO much better. Here's hoping I'm not messing up my recovery...
  • I had 3 1st degree tears (no stitches).  I used tucks pads for about 2 weeks pp, but only when I was in pain/as needed.  

I've also got a whopper of a hemmie, and I've been using tucks-like wipes after every BM, and sometimes just as needed.  

I'm 4 weeks pp now and still use both as needed, I just find that I need them a lot less often. 

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • I just wipe with them. I don't like to keep them against the skin too long. I use dermaplast when things are really uncomfortable and that seems to work better. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"