Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

rolling on tummy and waking up?

My DD is 5 1/2 months and recently begun turning onto her tummy from her back. She now likes to sleep on her side (she rolls automatically even though i always put her down on her back) and since she's learned how to roll she will wake up every hour or 2 hours and cry when she's on her stomach. She will push up on to her hands, cry, turn her head, put her head down, etc. but continue to cry until we go in to check on her or roll her back. My husband and I have tried putting her back on her back and soothing her to sleep (won't work, she rolls as soon as we leave), checking to see if she is breathing well on her tummy (she is), trying to give her a pacifier (which worked before when she'd wake up). no luck!! We are getting desperate--she used to sleep 4-6 hour stretches and now we're back to the newborn nights and we're exhausted. HELP!

Re: rolling on tummy and waking up?

• Options
    Dd did that at that age too. I would lay her down on her back like you said and she would roll to her tummy and cry until we rolled her back. She did it 10 times a night. I was up and down with her the whole time and neither of us got much sleep. It only lasted a week or so though. I think you just have to wait it out. It will pass.
    Http://northernbellemama.blogspot.com
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have the same exact issue here. I wanted to post this as well asking for advice. It's just insane. As soon as he rolls on his tummy he pushes himself up and gets very frustrated and starts crying. He's been doing this for about two weeks now and still hasn't figured it out. Idk what to do.
     CafeMom TickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Last night after I posted she actually slept really well ---WHAT?!  I'm hoping for another good night's sleep but hope if anyone else has gone through this they'll post their experience.

On a side note, and I may post this under a different title, she's only eating little bits during the day (like 1-3 oz at a time) then come bed time she'll nurse and then an hour later actually take another 5-6 ounces. Yes she's probably distracted during the day but even when she's just with me in a quiet, dark space, she is not interested in eating at all for hours at a time when she should normally be hungry. What gives? Could this be part of the waking up frustrated on the tummy?
  • Options
    I think this is just developmental and "it too shall pass". A lot of babies go through this and its just one of the many frustrating sleeping situations you'll experience :)
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Options
    We had this for about a week too.  We were up every couple hours rolling her back.  She hated being on her tummy but now she sleeps on her tummy all the time.
  • Options
    I had to wake mine up because she was on her belly with full faceplant. When I tried to move her head over and put her on her side (she rotates fully from back in her sleep) she went back on her belly. When I flipped her, that's when she woke up. From a deep sleep, she won't wake up and cry, but when she does wake up I think it freaks her out a bit.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Since my last post, DD is sleeping on her tummy but we've had a few more frustrating nights of her waking up constantly doing pushups. If you looked at her it looks like she can't breath but she must be because I'm constantly checking on her and she's always breathing! My husband I are going to try a night diaper to see if we can help her sleep through the usual 1 or 2am diaper change because right now we're up with her at 9pm, 1-2am, 4am and then I get up at 5:30 and she's up and ready to go at 6am. And that's without the extra waking up on her tummy and crying.
  • Options
    @megmusic how's your LO now?
    I just did a search and found this post because my DS is now doing the exact same thing!!  Waking up doing a push-up, crying!! And is so worked up he requires a lot of help to get back to sleep.  He knows how to roll back but it's as if he forgets or is frustrated because he's hit the edge of the crib and can't remember how to roll the other way.  So, is it a phase that will soon pass?  He JUST learned how to roll onto his tummy from his back 2 days ago.

• Options

Dd did that at that age too. I would lay her down on her back like you said and she would roll to her tummy and cry until we rolled her back. She did it 10 times a night. I was up and down with her the whole time and neither of us got much sleep. It only lasted a week or so though. I think you just have to wait it out.

Yep. It sucks but there is not much you can do about this.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"