March 2012 Moms

Spellcheckers are no match for stupid.

Ok so we've all used spellcheckers to speed things up.. but when did we stop actually reading what we post on the web for all to see.. specially business's.  We're not talking  BS'in with your friends on forums and social media people...

I was just looking at products on a site we have at work that lets you purchase stuff and it's directly withdrawn thorugh payroll.. and I didnt know whether to laugh or cry at the jogging stroller description....

Overview

The rugged yet lightweight BOB Sport Uility Stroller tackles even the toughest terrain. High impact polymer composite with knobby tires maximize traction and state-of-the-art adjustable suspension system delivers an exceptionally smooth ride. The fixed front wheel provides increased stability while hiking, jogging or when the train gets rough.

... I guess I am just anal retentive because I used to build web sites...but these things just leap off the page at me.  

I once saw a job ad ..this was a HUGE recruiting firm for IT peeps... and it said the applicant "must be computer illiterate"  being the nice person I am I emailed them and told them of their error... and the chick emails me back and asks me.. what's wrong with that ? 

I give up.. if you are a Huge IT recruiting firm and don't know what is wrong with asking people to be computer illiterate... I sure as hell don't wanna work with you.

..I am typing in the dark.. so if I F'd up .. at least I have an excuse lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Spellcheckers are no match for stupid.

• Stuff like drives me nuts! In one of the children's books we have, they use the wrong it's/its. I mean, was it really that hard to proof 12 pages with one line of text a piece?
  • LilNunz1 said:
    Stuff like drives me nuts! In one of the children's books we have, they use the wrong it's/its. I mean, was it really that hard to proof 12 pages with one line of text a piece?
    The book my son brought home from the library last week had a spelling issue.  There was a "wierd" looking fish under the sea, ugh.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a horrible proofreader. My dad has dyslexia so my entire life I would read his misspellings and just correct them in my head. So now I don't even see them most the time. I had to read that paragraph 5 times to find it. DH always finds a mistake in my blog posts after I checked them multiple times and published.

I did read a blog post yesterday about how to build up toddlers. There were a lot of "THe" and "jsut" type mistakes. She obviously didn't go back and read it at all before publishing.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• I can live with minor typos-- especially on FB or forums like this. I can live with a little sloppy language when you're typing in a casual forum. However, as a professional editor, I can no longer stomach simple grammar mistakes that people can't get right. It makes me absolutely insane so I've hidden a bunch of chronic offenders on FB.  I have to look at too much bad writing in my professional life and I just can't be annoyed by it in my personal life, too, lol.

I just finished editing a huge textbook-style book that had about 15 contributing authors. The majority of them were PhDs and the the lowest level of education was a master's degree. I cannot convey what a train wreck that these chapters came to me in. The poor quality of the writing and lack of attention to detail was incredible. The number of "your" and "you're," "its" and "it's," and similar mistakes was staggering. I couldn't wait to be finished with the project so I never had to explain simple grammar to "scholars" ever again.

• eyenigh said:
    I can live with minor typos-- especially on FB or forums like this. I can live with a little sloppy language when you're typing in a casual forum. However, as a professional editor, I can no longer stomach simple grammar mistakes that people can't get right. It makes me absolutely insane so I've hidden a bunch of chronic offenders on FB.  I have to look at too much bad writing in my professional life and I just can't be annoyed by it in my personal life, too, lol.

I just finished editing a huge textbook-style book that had about 15 contributing authors. The majority of them were PhDs and the the lowest level of education was a master's degree. I cannot convey what a train wreck that these chapters came to me in. The poor quality of the writing and lack of attention to detail was incredible. The number of "your" and "you're," "its" and "it's," and similar mistakes was staggering. I couldn't wait to be finished with the project so I never had to explain simple grammar to "scholars" ever again.

DH just finished his master's at Duke last spring.  He is brilliant - annoyingly brilliant.  He remembers everything he reads, is great at problem solving, reads and comprehends scholarly works from centuries ago with ease, and is one of those crazy people who still remembers how to do his Calculus II 8 years later.  Like I said, it's kind of annoying.  BUT he is terrible at grammar, spelling, syntax, etc.  I had to proofread all of his papers.  I do think it's weird how many really intelligent people have trouble with simple writing!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"