Northern California Babies

A car but no parking... any suggestions to make it manageable?

I'm in SF and I have a car and park on the street. Parking is usually easy enough, on average it takes 8 minutes to find a spot and 5 minutes to walk to my apartment. BUT there are times when it takes 20 minutes to look and I'm parked four blocks away. That's not a problem when it's just me but me and a screaming baby? That's another story and has been the most dreaded aspect of staying in the city. We contemplated a move to the 'burbs but just weren't ready emotionally, socially, or financially. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions for managing baby and parking? For example, do you time out your errands somehow, store certain items in the car, use a carrier and not a stroller, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: A car but no parking... any suggestions to make it manageable?

• Check out Task Rabbit for errands! My husband and I live in a condo complex in the burbs and sometimes need to park a little further away, so we're planning drop one of us off with the baby while the other parks. If you're by yourself, maybe a stroller is easier-- so you can hang bags or use the basket to carry things. I'm an FTM so this is all hypothetical to me :)
  • What neighborhood are you in in SF? We recently moved to a house with a garage, but prior to that, this was a huge concern of mine too... In our old place, I'd literally time my arrivals (i.e., stay out and run errands after work) just to get home at 'the magic parking hour'! For us, it was 5:35/40. Since we lived near an elementary school, it was when the after school programs got out and before the dinner rush of people flooding our parking for the nearby restaurants! But this trick wasn't always 'fool proof' and it wasn't always convenient... Do you think there is an especially good 'window' for parking near you? Or, is renting a nearby garage an even semi-feasible option?? Maybe a neighbor has a space to rent for under $250? I know, it's ridiculous... But it may end up being worth it when baby is here? When are you due?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"