March 2014 Moms

Bilobed placenta

At my 20 week ultrasound it was found that I have a bilobed placenta. Apparently they occur in about 4% of pregnancies and usually the umbilical cord is attached to both. Mine is only attached to one lobe which is even more rare. I have to go back for a 24 week ultrasound to check it out more in depth. The anterior portion (top) of the placental lobe is covering my cervix and if it doesn't move (with my growing belly) like they are hoping then I'll have to have a c-section. Baby is doing great! No issues were found with him at all! Anyone else experiencing this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image

Our English Bulldog, Ulga born 4/9/2013

Baby Boy Xander born 3/13/2014

Re: Bilobed placenta

• what an unusual thing! I've never heard of that. I hope everything goes well for you and LO!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have one too, along with Vasa previa, I have an ultrasound on 10/30 to confirm it, since they spotted it at 14 weeks, and everything is still to small then to make a good determination of issues if any.  WE are keeping everything crossed that it is not what it looked like at 14 weeks, I am really not looking forward to a month of bed rest in the hospital and a C/S at 35 weeks if it is.  However, I will do whatever it takes to get this baby here and healthy.  I figure if the baby is healthy, and the only thing wrong with anything is the rental unit then we are doing ok :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image

• Loading the player...
  • I had a bilobed placenta and a velamentous cord insertion which means the umbilical cord attached to the side of one of the lobes and not in the center so that it would be attached to both. Although I did not have the Previa which is when the placenta covers the cervix at all, I did request fetal non stress tests to start at 36 weeks to make sure the placenta and cord issue were not causing him issues. He passed his 36 week Non stress test an all was good, but then at the 37 week non stress test, he failed it as his heart rate kept dropping. They did a csection later that day as he would not have been able to handle the stress of contractions. I feel the right decision was made. You have to be your own advocate. Request the stress tests starting at 36 weeks and see how it goes. If the placenta doesnt move away from the cervix, a csection is definitely the safest route anyways. Recovery was easy and the surgery its self was nothing to stress about.   Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LolaBelle11,
    I have a bilobed placenta with a velamentous insertion also. I only found out about it last week at my 20 week US and was so overwhelmed that something was wrong that I didn't even ask what the condition was called until today at my monthly appt. I asked my Dr questions today and she assured me that many women have this condition and go through a normal delivery. Once I got out of her office and googled the condition I went from calm to freaked out. So, I'm really glad to hear that you went through the c section without issues. I have been so adamant about not having a csection but at this point, all I care about is that the baby is ok and I welcome a csection. Thanks for sharing about the stress test. I will definitely be asking for one when the time comes. My MFM Dr is asking me to do several more US leading up to the delivery so I'm relieved I will be closely monitored and will deliver at least 1 week early.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"