Babies: 6 - 9 Months

aggressive crotch-grabber!

I'm a new mom and have a 7 month old boy. I know it's normal for boys to grab at their crotch to explore and such, but my son does it in what seems an overly obsessive and painful way. For about two months now during any diaper change, bath time, etc he will immediately grab it and pull with a very strong grip. It looks so painful the way he pulls at it with his fingernails digging in that he will often leave himself with a red and irritated area, and has even caused some slight bleeding of his scrotum a couple of times. I do my best to keep his hands away during changing and baths to prevent this, but he is so obsessed with getting at it every time! He doesn't seem bothered about this area when he is clothed, just seems to react once he is exposed. I use cloth diapers so I'm wondering if there could be any irritation related to using them? I will try and treat the area with different creams when its looking irritated, but this is only treating the symptom not the problem. 

Anyone else experienced this with their son? Do they grow out of it or should I be concerned that there is something bothering him if he is clawing at himself this aggressively?

Thanks!

Re: aggressive crotch-grabber!

• DS did this for a bit too (not so much now). Although, never to the point of bleeding. We also CD. I brought it up to DH, and he didn't think anything of it. He just figured if it hurt him, he would stop.
  • Lol boys are obsessed with their penises. Totally normal
  • Loading the player...
  • My 7 month old had also recently discovered his penis. He'll heberally go for a grab as soon as the diaper is unfastened. He usually grabs and squeezes for a couple of seconds. My H and I kind of wince, but he doesn't flinch and then goes on to something else.

Not sure about the bleeding, but as a pp said, as long as it doesn't bother him, maybe it's fine?

Btw, my guy is not cloth diapered and does this:)
  • thanks everyone.  Maybe I won't worry about it too much for now.  My sisters both have 4 boys between them and say they haven't seen anything to the degree my son does it, but maybe its still within the normal range.  It just seems so painful and he tears it up!  Hopefully the fascination will die down a little bit soon so that he at least he isn't causing bleeding.  yikes.
  • I suspect it is all normal as well...even my daughter likes to grab down there (and it looks painful).  I will just ask if you think it is possible he has a yeast infection or something else that may be making him itchy?  Not because I suspect it but just to bring it to mind in case other things could be pointing to that as well.

We use cloth as well, and yeast is hard to fully remove from the cloth diapers unless you are actively trying to.  So, if he had a case of it and it was treated but still remains in the diapers maybe it is bothering him enough to cause minor itching but not to show symptoms?

Just a thought...but again, likely just normal behavior.  He may even have sharper nails and more sensitive skin so it looks worse!

• Thanks Lee B, I am looking into that right now!  Definitely a possibility and makes a lot of sense.  I appreciate the thought!
  • I had this exact problem... Except that for DS, it's something more... He has INCREDIBLY sensitive skin (already has three topical scripts). He was also increasingly aggressive after the initial "discovery period," and after one particularly rough incident, left hairline tears all over. Obviously, I freaked out (FTM). Doctor thinks it's something he's reacting to- still doesn't know what it is... But basically, he's reacting to SOMETHING, that is making that area irritated to him. What I DO know is that I have become a diaper changing ninja.

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"