Babies: 9 - 12 Months

9 month old concerns

My LO is very vocal, by means of yelling and screaming, but hasnt mastered any consonants yet. Just "G"' like gaa. Any one in the same boat? Also my pedi brought up that we should be teaching her to share her food and toys. Any suggestions on getting her to do this?

Re: 9 month old concerns

• My baby is 9 months, but was born a bit early.  She really just started babbling, but within a few days of that, said real words addressing real things ("cat.", "dada").   Before she babbled, she also said, "hi" for about a month or two in appropriate contexts.  I can tell you that from my concerns about late babbling, I did a lot of searching and there are many posts like yours, so you are not alone.  However, if you don't get babbling by 10 months, this is something you definitely should bring up with your doctor and then try to get seen by early intervention (or whatever you have where you live) because this is a delay that should receive speech services (at least many places), which people really like.  We go to a mommy and me program for early babies and we sing "row row row your boat" with babble sounds "ba. ba. ba. ba-ba" etc. to help with this in that class, so you could try that at home.

As for sharing, that seems to be way off from what you can expect.  If Lo is grabby with other babies, you can take away the toy and say "no, that's Jessica's car" but you can't expect it to get through for a while yet.
  • DD shouts or says "baa" and she never has a bottle so "baa" means nothing. She's almost 10 months, she's a mover. She seems to have focused more on motor skills vs. verbal. I don't worry.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS is 9.5 months and says "dada", "baba", and sometimes a mush mouth "mama". Otherwise, he just likes to scream and screech. I talk to DS about everything as if he understood me and could answer me back. Sometimes, he will 'say' something, but mostly he just watches and listens. For sharing, I haven't done much. If he takes someone else's toy, I say 'No, Sally is playing with that. Wait your turn.' I also ask him for things he has that I want or need from him and use please and thank you. Again, he has no idea, but he'll catch on eventually. Same with your daughter. Sharing takes a long time to master.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"