Parenting after 35
Options

Hysterics/night terrors

DD has been having a hard time since she turned 3. She has started having night terrors, and had such a bad one when MIL woke her up  from her nap, it took a good 30 minutes to calm her down. As well, she will get so upset when something is not just the way she likes it, she will start to scream and hyperventilate.  does anyone have any experience/resolutions for this? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hysterics/night terrors

• Options
    The night terrors suck.  My SD had them.  My DH told me all about it and how awful it was for her.  But she eventually grew out of it as she got older. 

Now I am no shrink, but maybe helping her learn how to handle her feelings during the day will help ease her inner stress for the night time?  

My DD is a bit of bossy pants (hell, I worry about her being a queen bee) and we do a ton of role playing and use any/all outside situations as points of conversation.  If we watch TV, we discuss it.  If someone is a bit pushy towards her, we discuss how she feels, etc. 

Maybe start talking to her about change and how YOU handle when things do not go your way.  
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    mwdmwd member
    Ilumine, I can do that, as I think it would be an eye.opener for both of us.  As well, she woke up this morning sounding like a seal (deep sounding cough) so she is coming down with something. Also, she has a pedi appointment on Friday, so that is on the agenda.  Thanks! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With a night terror, you actually should not wake them. Just pat them gently in their sleep and talk them through it in a soothing voice. If you wake them, they will be terrifiedand reremember it. If they stay asleep, they won't. Unfortunately, sleep deprivation triggers night terrors and makes them worse. They are really rough but this phase will pass.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mwdmwd member
     We went to the pedi on Friday and discussed DD's night terrors. The Dr recommended more sleep for both kids, as DS has been grumpy in the morning as well.  We've always had an 8:30 bedtime, but as both kids get past having naps, it makes sense to have a little earlier bedtime on weeknights.  As for the temper tantrums, we are encouraging DD to use her words, and when she doesn't, she has a little quiet time to calm down.  Not a time out, just a little time in a quiet place , like her room.  after a few days, it seems to work.  Give me a week of early bedtime , and I will give you more feedback. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"