Attachment Parenting
Options

Weird sleep shift

My 7 month old had always gone to bed between 6:15-6:30pm from months 1-6.  It was completely her schedule and she would hear nothing of a change to it.  At 6months she started doing a late nap and would then stay up until 7:30-8pm.  At this time she started sleeping until 9am (previously waking around 7pm). This shift was great as she actually got to spend time with daddy!  I nurse on demand over night and spend most the night in bed with her (in her room).  She happily sleeps in her crib on her own as well.

In the last week or so she now see's bedtime (8pm) as a nap and wakes after 45min and is wide awake...I try to get her back down but eventually get bored of lying in a dark room next to a chatty, happy as can be baby and I bring her out and she hangs out with us for an hour or so.  Now she is going to bed around 10-10:30pm.

Has anyone had this happen around 7months?  Is this just a phase?  Am I at risk of letting her get used to being up so late?

She naps great.  I put her in her crib awake and she is asleep within a minute or 2 with zero tears or fussing at all.  Same for nights...though sometimes she is a tad fussy so I just put her in the bed and snuggle and she goes to sleep within a couple minutes.  She tends to have two long, 1.5-2+ hour naps and now a shorter 45min nap just before supper.  Though she is not on a schedule and sleeps as needed.  She tends to sleep a good 15-17hrs in a 24 hr period still. 

The only change in the last 4 weeks is this bedtime is now naptime and staying up really late.  If it is just a phase I m fine to wait it out.  If it's the start of a routine I would like to try and curb it and get her back to going down for the night by 8pm, even if it means her waking at 7am instead of the awesome 9am!

Any thoughts?  I know babies just change things for no reason but am not sure what the best pan is here.  I don't think she is just getting too much sleep as in the morning, even after waking at 9am she only lasts an hour before needing her first nap.  This was the case even before the weird shift in bedtime.  She goes to sleep really quickly so I don't think she is sleeping more than she needs.  And, the 9am wake up started many weeks before the 10pm bedtime so I don't think it's that. 

I don't like to force her to stay awake in hopes of better sleep later.  This kid needs her sleep and there is no way around it.  Daddy does wake her up at 6:45am so she can spend 30 min with him while he eats and gets ready for work.  We do this since she is so happy during this time and she goes right back to sleep when he brings her back to me (in bed) when he goes to work. They have been doing this for about 3-4 months.  I'd like to continue with that so they have some time together as he works a lot.

Re: Weird sleep shift

• Options
    I think it is actually the change in seasons. We have blackout curtains but my almost 3 year old has done this every year at this time. Am guessing it has something to do with the light...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Also, at this age there is wonder week, which could be messing with her sleep. I've adopted the "let the baby sleep when he wants to sleep and be awake when he wants to be awake" philosophy and it's working quite well for us. 

If you're OK with her being up at those times, I wouldn't worry about it. They change so much this first year that chances are good she'll change it up again soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it might be a wonder week thing. My LO has done this off and on recently. Last night she woke up randomly in the middle of the night and just wanted to play with her toes!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"