November 2013 Moms
Options

I might just overdose on tums

I swear I get heartburn from everything ! Even water ! Ah so painful.

I wonder how true that old wives tale actually is.

Re: I might just overdose on tums

• Options
    Try Diovol. Same section in pharmacy as Tums but works WAY better on heartburn for me.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks. Any ladies herd of dgl?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hear you - I'm starting to think LO is really just a hairball.
  • Options
    Wookie babies
  • Options
    I'll tell ya what, I had horrible heart burn last pregnancy and LO came out pretty bald.  lol.  This time it isn't nearly as bad so we will see if it is just opposite for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    After reading on here that too many tums can give you kidney stones, I went and talked to my dr about heartburn/acid reflux. Mine had gotten so bad that I couldn't lay down without getting heartburn!

My dr switched me to twice/day Pepcid (or Zantac), even when I feel "OK" - what a HUGE difference! I feel like myself again! (Well, for the most part, even smelling pizza still gives me heartburn, and I notice almost instantly if I'm late to take my pill) Definitely talk to your doctor. This is a common issue this late in the game!
  • Options
    I get it all the time too bit it's worse when I try to sleep. I was thinking this morning that she was going to come out covered in fur!!
  • Options
    rbtrumpet said:

After reading on here that too many tums can give you kidney stones, I went and talked to my dr about heartburn/acid reflux. Mine had gotten so bad that I couldn't lay down without getting heartburn!

My dr switched me to twice/day Pepcid (or Zantac), even when I feel "OK" - what a HUGE difference! I feel like myself again! (Well, for the most part, even smelling pizza still gives me heartburn, and I notice almost instantly if I'm late to take my pill) Definitely talk to your doctor. This is a common issue this late in the game!

Oh no... I take them every night like all night long. Please Lord don't let me get kidney stones.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I eat tums like candy! I hope I don't get kidney stones, I hadn't heard that before! And I agree about water- it does make it worse! I sometimes have a glass of milk when I have bad heartburn and that helps..
  • Options
    If you're taking that many tums, you should definitely talk to your doctor about switching to something stronger! No reason to be miserable! I doubt they'll even need to see you. Just call the nurses line, they'll probably just tell you to start taking something OTC like Zantac.
    Mr. & Mrs. B, Est. 10.23.2009
    m/c: 9/06/12
    LTB: 10/23/13
    Baby B 2.0 EDD: 3/15/16

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I talked to the doctor when the thread came up before and she said you'd need to eat like 100 tums a day for 3 months to even start worrying about kidney stones. I take a bunch but not nearly that many :) I have heartburn all the time - even air gives me heartburn - but at last ultrasound LO had so much hair we could see it on the ultrasound. I know it's just an old wives tale but still funny. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Jojo714 said:
    After reading on here that too many tums can give you kidney stones, I went and talked to my dr about heartburn/acid reflux. Mine had gotten so bad that I couldn't lay down without getting heartburn! My dr switched me to twice/day Pepcid (or Zantac), even when I feel "OK" - what a HUGE difference! I feel like myself again! (Well, for the most part, even smelling pizza still gives me heartburn, and I notice almost instantly if I'm late to take my pill) Definitely talk to your doctor. This is a common issue this late in the game!
    Oh no... I take them every night like all night long. Please Lord don't let me get kidney stones.
    I've gone through 2 1/2 bottles of the ultra 1000 tums, plus about 3 or 4 bottles of the mini-freshers since the beginning of my pregnancy, and I'm fine, so I think you have to take a LOT.  But still, it helped make me feel better about switching (and I'm SO glad I did)
  • Options
    I had the same issue my doctor told me to take Zantac twice a day. I no longer have to eat tums all day!!
  • Options
    Calling my dr today! I am also convinced I am giving birth to the hairiest baby ever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image
  • Options
    Calling my dr today! I am also convinced I am giving birth to the hairiest baby ever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image
  • Options
    My doctor prescribed me Zantac a few months back and it has done wonders for my heartburn, and that's coming from someone who craves lemonade at least twice a day!

As for the old wives tale about heartburn and hair, my OB told me that a study was done at Roger Williams and it was determined that there was some credibility to it. At my last ultrasound, the tech told me my baby had a head full of hair! (All the more reason to buy a million bows!)
  • Options
    I'm convinced our little girl is going to come out with a head of hair! I have to drink a glass of water every night before bed and it gives me the WORST heartburn! I like the Wintergreen Tums :) they are yummy so I don't mind the chalkiness.
  • Options
    I'm on Zantac twice a day as well... it helped for the first week or so, and but now after about a month I feel the effectiveness is wearing off. I've started to gulp Gaviscon at night as well to form a bit more of a foam layer to keep the acid down. It tastes really nasty but it works. Heartburn has definitely been my number one WORST symptom this pregnancy so I feel your pain.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had the worst indigestion every night and was popping tums like crazy! I literally never get indigestion except when I'm pregnant do I've always just used tums! Yesterday my dr told me to start taking Zantac and I finally slept through the night with no problem! I highly recommend trying it!
    <Image and video hosting by TinyPic>

Married to DH since 4/2008, mommy to three beautiful boys 9/09, 10/11, 11/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"