April 2014 Moms

UO

Re: UO

• Here's my UO!

I think Bridal Showers are ridiculous and come off as selfish, I NEVER attend them when I'm invited.

To me a Bridal Shower screams.. "Buy me things!! I know you'll be getting me a gift for our wedding reception, but you need to get me ANOTHER gift."

image  mean_girls_35345

DD1- 2009, M/C- 2011, M/C- 2012, DD2- 2012, DD3- 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Here's my UO!

I think Bridal Showers are ridiculous and come off as selfish, I NEVER attend them when I'm invited.

To me a Bridal Shower screams.. "Buy me things!! I know you'll be getting me a gift for our wedding reception, but you need to get me ANOTHER gift."

I hated HAVING a bridal shower, sitting there opening all these gifts and having to smile and act surprised and happy for hours, all that attention. Dont get me wrong, Im grateful that my family threw the shower (big tradition in my family) and Im thnkful for the gifts, but christ, I was bored after 30 of opening gifts..I cant imagine how the poor guests felt!

POS+April 2009-M/c May 2009, POS+July 2009-M/c Aug 2009, POS+ Novemeber 2009 -Baby Boy Charlie DOB 07/06/2010, POS+July 2011-M/c and D&C Aug 2011, POS+Dec 2011 -Baby Boy Ethan DOB 07/27/2012, POS+Aug 2013-TWIN BOYS! Jack and Miles born March 23rd 2014!!

">image
  • @ColleenSwerb I think there's an option under preferences where you can block signatures.
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • My UO: I hate watching televised sports as DH and I follow no teams except the Sharks. But I don't even watch their games on tv. Partly because we only have internet tv, and partly bc it's boring! We're just not big sports people.
    BUT we love to go to games. Any game we're invited to we live to go and hoot and holler like we're the biggest fans ever. And I like to play sports. I'm not good, but we have a great time playing.

• thomas930thomas930 member
    edited October 2013
    poru said:
    @dani+California I'd never heard of a push present before and had to google it. I guess I may have inadvertently asked for one. I told DH I eventually wanted to get a necklace with our baby's birthstone, because that's something I've always wanted to do. And we're getting matching tattoos in Braille of our family's names after the LO is born. So I'm tacky I guess? ;)
    I don't really consider that a push present.  Push presents are notoriously wifey demanding a diamond because of the hard work she had to do.  You getting baby's birthstone is a celebration of being parents.  Just a different mindset.  I went back to work right after my birthday, and for my birthday my hubby got me a necklace with DS's initial on it so he would "still be close to me during the day."  I don't consider that a push present.  I consider that a wonderfully sweet gesture of my DH recognizing that I am a mom.
    Yeah, I think of push presents as overly lavish gifts that are demanded. My DH has given me a new Willow Tree figure for each of my kids (including my miscarriage) and he usually gives them to me in the hospital but I don't consider it a push present. 
    ------ But have you looked at our birth month birthstone? It could be a lavish present. :D Well, lavish to me is a new cell phone before we actually NEED one. Just to give you a point of reference. ;)
    Gasp! I don't even like diamonds  :-O

But even so, if you were to get a simple (as in small) diamond charm or necklace I still wouldn't see that as lavish either.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • AprilMay9 said:

I think pregnancy announcements are super cheesy

This! Yes! Absolutely!
  • @biggerinreallife - I don't want to hide all siggies because they're useful. It's nice to see how far along someone is, or if they have other kids, without having to ask. I just hate scrolling down and seeing a giant creepy orange 3d u/s pop up out of nowhere.

Truly, I think any u/s in the siggie is weird, but I just don't think u/s's are cute at all, so there's that.

I think our ultrasounds are cute, because I saw them moving and have context of what is going on in the photo.. But pretty much every other u/s all I see is a blob of stuff and I'm thinking, "ok I don't recognize any body parts... But if you say there's a penis in there I'll take your word for it"
  • @thomas930 No. I want big ol' rocks. Just kidding! A pendent would almost be too much, definitely something small and classy. Maybe with my birthstone too! (Topaz)

• I think 'push presents' are the stupidest things I've ever heard of...ever. You want a gift for doing what nature intended for you to do? You literally want a prize for that?

People who ask for one or expect one (which is already uncouth, you don't DEMAND a gift) are just as bad as people who have 2 and 3 bridal or baby showers. Quit turning your life events into money-making ventures. Celebrate the birth of your beautiful baby by, I don't know, spending time together? Stuff like that makes women sound like materialistic dumbasses.

Oh my goodness, yes!!! This!!!!
  • @Bigger

Yeah I didn't mean what you (and a lot of other women) described. I'm specifically referring to women who literally have said to me 'so yeah, I told Joe I want the 5 carat tennis bracelet for my push present. That or the 4 carat earrings.' Like it's a normal, every day thing to DEMAND a super expensive gift for giving birth.

Maybe I just need new friends, by the sounds of it. Hahaha

----

Yeesh. I have only one friend who I can see doing this, the same one who spends thousands on designer crap. Different priorities, I swear.

• not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I loathe people who name their baby while still pregnant and require that everyone else call the baby by name when it is not even born yet. 

For example:

Jane:  "Hey Sue, have you felt the baby kick yet?"

Sue: "No Jane, I haven't felt EMMA kick yet.  We aren't calling her baby, we are calling her by name".

Sorry, that's just weird to me.

This! So strange! Don't understand it at all.
  • ImnAtari said:
    DH's grooms cake was a companion cube.

I didn't even know Push Presents were a "thing" before just right now....
    Hubs grooms cake was tom servo from mst3k...see profile pic!

on the whole birthstone front, I am also and April birthday and feel like we kind of get gipped. EVERYONE gets diamonds but other months get diamonds AND rubies, or emeralds, or sapphires (or insert gem stone here)
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• TelemarkSkiTelemarkSki member
    edited October 2013

...I came back and deleted my previous post because I felt like a jerk.

• I never am on here early enough to put one in, so I've been sitting on this one for a while. I don't really like bacon. I don't understand the hype about it. I much prefer sausage.
    Couldn't agree more... I HATE bacon!  People who hear this for the first time think I'm out of my mind.  Pork roll on the other hand... that I could eat at every meal!
    Pregnancy Ticker  

• I love the movie The Crow but I strongly dislike the signature with it.  "They're all dead.  They just don't know it yet" bothers me on a pregnancy board (that thus has lots of miscarriages).  Sorry

:-S

8-|
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • @TelemarkSki never even thought about it that way I just picked the first decent one I saw.... all fixed ;)
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• snmetz7 said:
    @TelemarkSki never even thought about it that way I just picked the first decent one I saw.... all fixed ;)
    Oh, I like that!
  • pineconey said:

Yeesh. I have only one friend who I can see doing this, the same one who spends thousands on designer crap. Different priorities, I swear.

Wait, @biggerinreallife are you friends with wysbaby in real life??

:)

----
    Woah....I might be...and don't even know it! Mind. Blown.
    =))

• re bridal showers- I wasn't a fan until I learned the history, now I think it's sweet. They started for girls whose parents didn't approve of the guy and therefore wouldn't set them up with a dowery/household things (not that I like the whole bride price thing), so their friends would dig out what they could spare to allow the bride to marry a guy she loved rather than one her parents approved of.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • I'm really behind on all of this but here are my two cents:
    I hate breakfast food in general. If going to eat early, I order off the lunch menu if they'll let me.

I hate bridal/baby showers! Mainly because there is nothing more awkward than all the attention being on you while you open gifts. There's only so many fake smiles and "thank you's" I can do! Not that I don't appreciate all the gifts, I'm just a very awkward person. Lol
  • Re bridal/baby and any other showers I can think of...

I hate them all! Ok I know that's a bit over the top and I think its a cultural thing. We just don't do them in New Zealand. I think its a bit attention grabby and selfish. I know someone else is supposed to organise them for you, and I can kinda see the point for your first baby. 

Especially the bridal shower! It gets crazy, first you have an engagement party where you have to give gifts, then the bridal shower, then the wedding, then the baby, then, then, then! 
    Heaven help someone who says they are having "sprinkles" for their second child!
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • My UO... I think that people who take their babies out in just a diaper are gross! Really you couldn't throw a onsie on that baby cause you sure had time to put on an excessive amount of makeup and do your hair up. I don't care how hot it is a onesie is not going to overheat your baby also its called a baby wipe, wipe off that sticky dirt from between babys fingers!

Also I hate the Walking Dead!!!

• Pregnant or not pregnant I hate pickles! I love vinegar and I love salt, but pickles are gross. Flame away.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pregnant or not pregnant I hate pickles! I love vinegar and I love salt, but pickles are gross. Flame away.

We can't be friends.

Actually, we can. I'll just eat whatever pickles are given to you.
    Done. You also get all the jars of canned pickles people love to give us!

We can't be friends.

Actually, we can. I'll just eat whatever pickles are given to you.
    Done. You also get all the jars of canned pickles people love to give us!
  • I'll take the pickles! They're my favorite pregnant or not.
    3d ultrasounds are gross- and I really don't understand how an ultrasound can be called 4d... What is the 4th dimension of the ultrasound? Enlighten me. 
    Push presents? This kiddo will cost us enough money. Don't get me wrong, I won't be refusing a thoughtful gift, but demanding diamonds? Not my thing.

Oh... And I love Andes!

imageimage
  • edoliesmomedoliesmom member
    edited October 2013
    @nikki912 I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it's immediately what I thought of when I read your UO.

Love this movie! :)
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • So glad I'm not the only one weirded out by fancy US's. It creeps me out when people post those on FB. I have a friend who set it as her default pic and was like "I got to see Tucker's beautiful smile today." ((Ehh, no..)) I found out today that I get a DVD with my gender reveal US next visit. Yay a 5 minute video of a gray blob! Maybe I'm the weird one for not being psyched...

On a side note, bacon is overrated. Anything with mint and chocolate is disgusting. And to whoever was hating on white chocolate: I think it's far superior to regular chocolate! :P

BabyFetus Ticker

• My UO... I think that people who take their babies out in just a diaper are gross! Really you couldn't throw a onsie on that baby cause you sure had time to put on an excessive amount of makeup and do your hair up. I don't care how hot it is a onesie is not going to overheat your baby also its called a baby wipe, wipe off that sticky dirt from between babys fingers!

Also I hate the Walking Dead!!!

Aw, I think diaper babies are so cute! Not, like, the parent didn't bother to dress them, but like it's a ridiculously hot summer day at the park and they took off their onesie so they can play in the water. Cute!

And Walking Dead? Really? We may have to take this one outside... ;)

• inspired by @holljade and her fun news tonight!

everybody oohs and ahhs over girl clothing, but i think boys are even cuter to dress up.

and on a related note....

i think most of the stuff at children's place and gymboree (for boys - i've never shopped for girls so i don't extend this statement to that side of the store) is majorly ugly, cheap and stupid looking.

ugly neon orange t-shirt with a really obnoxious monster truck roaring all over it??  no thank you!  give me chinos and a polo shirt any day over that nonsense.
    If my envelope says boy, I'm coming to you for styling advice! Because I totally thought obnoxious orange truck shirts were all that existed!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"