Pittsburgh Babies
Options

breast pump through insurance

Has anyone had any experience getting a free breast pump through their insurance?  We have Highmark, and I called today, and apparently it is covered through our insurance, but you need a prescription and cannot get it until after the baby is born.  You have to go through a durable medical equipment place to get it.  Has anyone done this?  Do you have a specific provider you used or know what pumps you can choose from?

Re: breast pump through insurance

• Options
    The insurance company should have given you a listing or you should be able to search on their website. I took my prescription for it to the hospital and faxed it in from there. It was delivered to my door the day I got home from the hospital. Easy!
  • Options
    I have UPMC.  Someone called me to tell me how to get the pump... Pretty much the same.  As soon as your baby is born, the doctor faxes a script to a certain number and they will deliver the pump to the hospital the next day. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I lived out in Philly and had to do the same with my daughter.  My OB wrote sent the prescription electronically to the company and they delivered it two days later to my house.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I also have Highmark and was told that once the baby is born, my doctor will fax a script to whichever durable medical equipment place I choose. If you sign onto your highmark account online, there's a place where you can search for approved in-network durable medical equipment providers. I've already called a few places to see what pump each one carries. I'll probably go with Stanton-Negley Drug Co. They carry the Medela Pump In Style Advanced Tote and can deliver within a day or two of receiving the script. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  Anyone know a local place that carries the Ameda Purely Yours?  I know I can call, but just trying to take the easy route. :)
  • Options
    DK medical in Gibsonia might carry the Ameda. I live near there and tried to get my medela through them but they only carry Ameda products. I'm just not sure which ones to say for sure!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"