Natural Birth

Switching practices at 28 weeks?

I'm not 28 weeks yet. But I'm just so nervous I didn't discuss with my doctor about my natural birth preferences. I had so much going on with moving, etc. I have an apt next week and plan to really have a talk on this and possibly bring a sample birth plan to talk. I'm just so nervous about it going well and him being on the same page. Part of me wants to just switch to a midwife with a whirlpool at another local hospital we have here, but I don't know. Any thoughts?

Re: Switching practices at 28 weeks?

• F47F47 member
    I don't think it's too late to switch, if that's what you're asking. But, if you like your OB, and want to deliver in a hospital with an OB, I'd say give him a chance. Go to your appointment next week and see where he stands, then evaluate the situation from there.

I was nervous to talk to my OB as well, but it turned out he was really natural birth friendly, and has been very encouraging.

So - ya never know!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Definetly not too late to swtich. I switched to a MW at 29 weeks. 

• I'm 17 weeks and even though I talked with my provider about natural birth before I was even pregnant I have an uneasy feeling that has been growing since my first appointment. We are now interviewing other providers. I know its scary but I feel so much better now that I have finally taken the leap. If your unhappy don't feel guilty just leave.
  • I just switched at 32 weeks. It was a really good decision and I'm very happy I did it. That said, definitely have the conversation first with your current care provider. If you hear what sounds okay but you're still uncertain or if there are still things that strike you as red flags, go ahead and switch (but interview the new place first though!). Overall, have the conversation and then go with your gut from there.
  • I switched at 32 wks with DS to a midwife. Good thing too because labor was 35 hrs and I was at 6-7 cm for like 6 hrs. I'm pretty sure the OBs would have pushed for a c/s at that point, but my midwife was awesome and helped me get through it. The midwife also knew how to deal with me in the tub and the OB laughed at me when I said I wanted that and said she had never seen a mom use one. Tub was awesome, a lifesaver for me. I would go with a place that has one even aside from everything else.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I switched this pregnancy. A mom friend heard through her Bradley instructor that it's surprisingly not uncommon at all to switch even up to 35 weeks.
    I wound up switching because I found my doula and she said that she would not work with my Ob based on previous births. Kind of a shocker, but deep down I did have my own doubts. My doula described the Ob as "playing lip service" to natural birthers. But when push comes to shove, if she was an event to get to, she'd push for interventions to speed things up.
    If you're going to switch, do it as soon as possible. It can take awhile to have records transferred, etc.
    Good luck.
    P.s. The whirlpool tub is awesome and was a _very_ nice distraction during my contractions!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi!
    I am preggo with #3.  I had my first two babies with the same ob...and we didn't see eye to eye with either baby but the issues didn't arise until late in the pregnancy.  She induced me with number 1 (led to c-section) at 38 weeks...I disagreed, but it was my first baby and thought she knew best.  With #2 I wanted to try for a VBAC but she said I would never be successful so I scheduled a c-section and when I tried to question it at the end, she said I had "crazy pregnancy hormones" and needed to stick with our plan.  I had sought some outside opinions from other vbac mamas-all who said to change providers and I just couldn't do it...felt bad, felt disloyal and all of things.  I ended up with a second c-section :(
    Now, I have moved to a different city and I am having baby number 3.  My provider mentioned that she supports VBAC2Cs "under the right circumstances."  Once I realized that I could do this, I immediately changed to a provider (at 16 weeks) who would fully support this decision.  You have to do what is best for you so you have no regrets! It is a business for them...do what is best for you!
    Good Luck!
  • I switched twice, at 16 weeks and again at 36. You can talk to you OB about your preferences and go from there, or just start over with a midwife model of care. OBs and even MWs vary a lot in how NB-friendly they are, so your current OB may be better (or worse!) than you think. Won't know til you have that discussion.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • I go to a group practice and briefly spoke to one of the OBs that isn't my primary doctor today. I wasn't fully sold on what he told me. He did say they won't induce before 41 weeks, but then I felt like he tried to scare me saying the baby's head gets harder at that point? Has anyone heard of this?

He wasn't fully Natural Birth friendly, but did agree the best thing would be to go in labor naturally without intervention, but that it doesn't always happen. To bring my birth plan and see where we can meet. So I'm like hmm. I still didn't feel sold. I guess I want a practioner that's going to be like yes, we will do this, you are young, healthy and a FTM, so there is no reason why not...but I"m not sure if I'm dreaming there.

• I've never heard of this either--is it true? I mean, babies still have a so ft spot for awhile after birth...so how much "softer" is it at 40 weeks? (Honestly, I have learned more about childbirth from hanging around these boards than anything else!)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi all,

Thanks all for the replies. I interviewed a Midwife practice today that I like!  They are pro vaginal birth and have a birth tubs in the hospital. I honestly want to just take the leap. My fiance is just whatever you want of course. I feel like this is the right place, I mean, they seem so natural birth friendly. When I had asked my current OB again, he still didn't sound so natural birth friendly, "some people get stuck on that idea". I already asked for my records, and feel this is a good choice, but I really wish there was a better way to know. I don't think I'll regret this??

• Hi all,

Thanks all for the replies. I interviewed a Midwife practice today that I like!  They are pro vaginal birth and have a birth tubs in the hospital. I honestly want to just take the leap. My fiance is just whatever you want of course. I feel like this is the right place, I mean, they seem so natural birth friendly. When I had asked my current OB again, he still didn't sound so natural birth friendly, "some people get stuck on that idea". I already asked for my records, and feel this is a good choice, but I really wish there was a better way to know. I don't think I'll regret this??

Sounds like you found a better fit. Congrats! I'm sure it will feel completely right and comfortable once the dust settles from the switch.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• I ended up switching at 38 weeks from an OB to a midwife. It was the best decision I ever made!!!! It was a little scary but I had to ally met with the midwife that practice in my OBs office and we had a connection an  the rest is history. Do what feels right for you. The difference between a doctor and midwife is night and day.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I switched around week 30. Best. Decision. Ever.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I havent switched yet due to my current job, but i plan on switching in 16 days when I have the option for a natural birth at a hospital that offers amenities I REALLY want (birthing tub/birthing balls). 
    You should do what makes you and your man comfortable 100%. :) G'luck!!
  • BLPL101 said:
    I switched around week 30. Best. Decision. Ever.
    This exactly.

And it wasn't just things like having access to a tub for me. There were lots of things I was having to request special at the old OB practice/baby factory hospital that come standard here such as intermittent monitoring, freedom of movement, delayed cord clamping and cutting, the list goes on and on....
  • I also switched providers yesterday (at 30 weeks and 3 days) from a MW who was super "medicalized" and had this overkill protocol approach that was freaking me out...

I went to another MW across town and tell her about my basic natural birth desire...and to my delight she launches into a story about how she used to live on The Farm with Ina May Gaskin and how she had her daughter on The Farm and she just totally gets that normal natural birthing can happen - even in a hospital. I was over the moon at finding someone who just get's me!!

I agree with the previous poster - Best. Decision. Ever!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"