Attachment Parenting
Options

Back carry questions

I did my first back carry attempt with my 7month old.  There was nothing graceful about that!  It took a lot of time and effort to get my arms to do what I needed them to!  I did it sitting on the edge of bed.  My daughter was flopping over trying to chew on the straps which made it even harder!  Then I finally got her up and she was like HAIR numm numm numm.  Despite my having tied it in a side pony!

Anyways I have a manduca carrier that has an extension panel to make the back support for her higher (by about 2").  Where is the optimal stop point for the back of the carrier on her for a back carry?  With the panel on low setting it was right under her arms, so her arms were out completely.  When I front carry her she sits quite differently in the carrier and the panel goes to her shoulder tops so her arms are in (though she can stick them out the sides when she wants).  When I extended the back panel it came to the bottom of her chin so she was snug and firm.  Is there a better way to have her?  I think I prefer the higher back...at least until we are both comfortable with her back there.  Once she was in that position I was able to bounce around and play peek-a-boo with all the mirrors and she was secure.

Is there a reason that she sits differently with front and back carry?  I did have the waist of the carrier higher on my waist so her bum was sort of hanging over more.  Should I be doing that in front carry?  How tight should she be in the back carry?  Same as front snug to my body...if I bend over she doesn't separate from me?  How would I test that on the back?

Lastly, how high up should she be?  Should her head be above my shoulder?  I don't think she could look over my shoulder.  I would have to hike the waist strap up to my rib cage for that I think.

OK...one more...at what age do they actually start helping to get into the back carry position?

Re: Back carry questions

• Options
    It's ok for the back to come up just high enough that she can get her arms out - it's only a problem if she really likes to lean and it starts to feel like it's pulling.  I'd just do it whichever way feels most comfortable for you both.

If you are buckling the waist band higher in a back carry, that's why she is sitting differently.  Although do make sure that she's really bounced down in there - try pulling up on the shoulder straps and hopping a bit to bounce her down.  You can also take your hand and slide it between the carrier and her bum to make sure she is down at the bottom.

As for how high - it's hard to get a really high back carry in a buckle carrier.  Wear the waist where it's comfortable.  At her age, it's ok for her to sit lower.

As for your last question - just depends on the kid.  I back carried from really young so my kids never "fought" it.  You might try distracting her with a toy or something until you get a bit faster - which you will!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"