Multiples
Options

Keeping your multiples in one crib

My MIL insists that I should be keeping my twins in the same crib for a couple months after they're born. Have any of you ever done this?? Benefits?? No good?

My MIL (who also had twins) kept them in the same crib for I think 6 months she said, whereas I asked my dad if they kept my sister and I in one crib, and he said he didn't.

My gut tells me to keep them in separate cribs (as is recommended by the hospital).

Re: Keeping your multiples in one crib

• Options
    I would do separate.  We had them in the same one  for about a month but we had them swaddled and placed them head to feet on opposite ends of the crib.  They actually slept better once we put them their own cribs.  One moved around a lot and I think it may have woken the other one up.
  • Options
    The boys shared a bassinet for the first couple of months, at the side of my bed. It's probably safer over all to have them in their own cribs. Not only did James start crawling/biting Simon before Simon could successfully get away from him, but they now climb on each other and could get hurt... you'll need two cribs at some point, so the sooner, the better. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. We already have two cribs set up in the nursery and I am ready for them to be in their own. I just wanted some insight from ladies who are raising twins in 2013... not 1983 ;):) 
  • Options
    We had ours together in the same crib until they started moving, kicking each other and waking each other up. We moved them into their own cribs at 6 months and everyone was better. They roll all over the place now - there's no way they'd be able to sleep together.
    ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Here is how I am justifying using separate sleeping spaces:

My MIL fostered a new born baby at 3 days old. The second night she had him that child was rolling over completely. At 5 days old!!

Granted a lot of twins are born premature and tend to be developmentally delayed compared to a singletons. I am not willing to take that chance.

I am fine with two bassinets right next to our bed for the first 6 months or so. :\
  • Options
    we kept them in one bassinet for the first month and then separated....I think its a personal choice and you should do whatever you are comfortable with!
  • Options
    Mine were in the same PNP for 8 weeks, then in the same crib until about shortly before 5 months when one was getting more mobile and starting to attempt rolling over.  Now one is in a crib, the other in the PNP.  The second crib is being refinished (almost done!).

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    Mine were in 1 crib for about 2 months (they were 5 weeks early). They were swaddled tightly and never moved around. The day my DD started moving around we separated them. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We had our guys in the same crib in our room at night for about 3 months.  They were mostly swaddled and each had enough space that they didn't touch each other.  At 3 months they started moving a lot more and getting out of their swaddles so we moved the crib back in to the nursery and they each started sleeping in their own crib.

I don't know if this is because they shared in the beginning, but, to this day one can be screaming and the other one won't wake up.  They are very used to each others noises and cries.
  • Options
    My twins shared a crib in the hospital and a bassinet the first couple days at home. The pediatrician told us not to let them sleep together unless we were awake and watching them because it is a risk for them to smother each other.
  • Options
    Same crib in our room until 2 mos. they had started moving around too much and I'd find them "snuggling", which looked a lot like sufficating each other. That was a quick move to the seperate cribs in the nursery.
  • Options
    RynleighRynleigh member
    edited October 2013
    You can also always use the SIDS rationale, too - many deaths that were once attributed to SIDS are now being attributed to things like oxygen deprivation due to recycled breathing when they turn their face into a "pocket" of air. This kind of thing is more common when a baby has anything in a crib with them, like bumpers, blankets, toys, and even other babies. While many of us did just fine having our babies share a sleeping space for the first few months, that doesn't mean that the risk didn't exist, and it is a valid justification for separating them even before they can scoot around much if you have family pressuring you to keep them together.
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    Rynleigh said:
    You can also always use the SIDS rationale, too - many deaths that were once attributed to SIDS are now being attributed to things like oxygen deprivation due to recycled breathing when they turn their face into a "pocket" of air. This kind of thing is more common when a baby has anything in a crib with them, like bumpers, blankets, toys, and even other babies. While many of us did just fine having our babies share a sleeping space for the first few months, that doesn't mean that the risk didn't exist, and it is a valid justification for separating them even before they can scoot around much if you have family pressuring you to keep them together.
    That's an excellent argument. Thank you! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"