Natural Birth

New to board ~ question about hospital

Hi everyone. I'm new here, just 6 weeks pregnant with my first! Very excited. My question is about a birthing center. We've been planning on delivering at a birthing center, since my husband was pretty queasy about delivering at home. We just found out that the only hospital where my midwife can deliver... has a joke of a birthing center. Not friendly or inviting, sterile-looking, shared rooms. I just can't picture us delivering naturally, while another woman in the room is screaming through her own trials!

Am I over-reacting? Are non-private rooms really that bad? We are in a position now where we will most likely have to switch providers, or (if our midwife does it!) home birth. Freaking out!

p.s. Wasn't going to mention names, but it's Yale-New Haven hospital maternity center.

Re: New to board ~ question about hospital

• Hey fellow New Havener - small world!  So I'm new to town and have not visited hospitals but I'm planning to birth with the midwives at Center for Women's Health and Midwifery - they deliver at Yale-New Haven St. Raphael's (so not the main hospital).

I've heard lovely things about the birthing suites at St Raphael's.  I have had a hospital birth and a birth center birth - while I prefer a birth center I'm not trekking to Danbury for one ;)  However, a shared room would be a HUGE put off for me.  HUGE put off.  I'm actually really surprised there are shared labor rooms; are they maybe shared post-partum rooms but not for labor?  
     Do you mind me asking who you are with currently?  I've not had an appointment yet actually (will later this month) but like I said had a very positive recommendation for this practice and hospital.
  • Are you sure it's shared L & D rooms?!  I would double check, that just doesn't sound right.

If such a thing exists that would be a HUGE deal breaker for me, wouldn't be happening!  I was in triage for a couple of hours with my first because they were waiting on a room to open up and I had to share a room then.  It wasn't awful because the other woman was just being monitored for something she wasn't actually in labor, but still really uncomfortable and distracting.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with the others to check to make sure it's a shared L&D not shared post-partum room. My hospital is only private rooms for everything (triage, L&D, & post-partum).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everybody! I'm with Women's Health Associates and they are very good. My naturopath actually used them for her children, and they came highly recommended. I'm sure once I see her at my first ultrasound, she will appease most of my fears. 
    The fears sprouted from this on the Yale website: "three operating/delivery suites, a three-bed recovery room and a five-bed triage area that serves women during pregnancy 16 weeks or greater." Even if I get to deliver privately, the last thing I want is some family I don't know in the room when I'm recovering! I'm hoping my practice can deliver at St Raph's, since they're affiliated now. Otherwise, we live closer to MidState Medical Center, which does have an actual birthing center. I'll let you know once I get the full details about Yale!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"