December 2011 Moms

Guess it's time for a toddler bed

This weekend my DS decided to climb out of his crib for the first time. DH and I were downstairs while DS was up in his room and was supposed to be taking a nap when we heard a huge crash. Our crib has an attached changing table, and it looks like DS pulled himself up onto the changer and then fell off. He's fine (not a mark on him), but the whole thing scared the crap out of me!

I'm not too worried about bed time because DS is in a really good routine and rarely wakes up over night, but I have no idea how to handle naps in a toddler bed. Lately he's been fighting naps badly, so I'm not really sure how to get him into a good naptime routine that doesn't involve him destroying his room in the process.

Any tips would be appreciated!
OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Guess it's time for a toddler bed

• E figured out a way to climb out of her crib, but she has only done it two times over the past month. I will be following this thread, because I have no clue what to do :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • We made the transition and it was a lot smoother than I thought it would be, G actually seems to really like his big boy bed. I tried to keep it similar to his crib actually even left the bumper on cause he loves to snuggle with the bumper. As far as nap time goes he by some miracle he stays in his crib and plays until he falls asleep. I lock his door from the outside because we don't have a gate and I worry about the stairs, but he has hasn't ever he made it to the door. I watch him on the video monitor and if I see him getting up I talk through the monitor and tell him to lay back down. Good luck and hoping for smooth transition for you all!

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• Oh no! I am glad that he didn't get injured, that would have scared me, too! Alex is still happy in his crib, so I don't have any tips. Good luck though! I heard that a baby gate in the door helps to keep them in the room at least. 
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• We have a full size mattress on the floor in his big boy room. It kind of drives me crazy, but it works.

~ Married 10.30.04 ~
    DS1 born 12.31.11 ~ DS2 born 2.4.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We transitioned for the same reason!  At bedtime we had to lead him without words, put him back into his bed, and cover him up over and over. This lasted about a week if I remember right. We also had to put a crib mattress on the floor for a while because he would stand up looking for the crib rail and fall out where the toddler rail had an opening.   We put a gate on the door. 

As far as naps we are doing the same. He was sleeping for naps well, but DH has been home latley for naps and DS screams and screams for him.  It's like Ferber all over again. 

Good luck!!

• Glad your LO is okay. We recently made the toddler bed transition and it was awful. I did the whole walk her back to her room thing at least 75x a day for naps and bedtime and it just didn't work for us. My LO is very stubborn. Then once she would fall asleep (I'd usually have to pat her back until she fell asleep) she would get up several times a night. I continued like this for about 3 weeks before I decided I was so sleep deprived I could barely function.
    So now her toddler bed is next to my side of the bed. I really wanted her to stay in her room but this is working much better. We are moving in a few weeks so ill transition her back to her own room then.
    Good luck. I hope your LO does well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS hasn't tried any escaping yet. I'm trying to take some steps now by starting with not picking him up with any night time wake ups. He was waking frequently these last couple weeks. He has been good for the last 3 nights though with STTN again - thank goodness!

I haven't wanted to start the transition yet since his crib is working so well still. I'm torn if I want to start anything yet though because part of me wants to start transitioning before the new baby comes & before we really start pressing potty training, so he's not going through too many changes at one time.  The other part of me wants to keep getting the rest this pregnant momma needs.

My 2 December boys

• I'm dreading this because I know it is coming any day now.  While we were on vacation, DS learned that he could hike his leg up on the side of the porta-crib and he has tried it back at home with his real crib, but just can't reach yet.  Once he's got the idea in his head though I know he's not going to let it go until he figures it out. 

No advice, just sympathizing with you! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just moved H to a toddler bed. She didn't even try to get out the first two nights then the third night she realized she could get out haha. But she's done amazing. It was totally time. Now with baby 2 coming in June we are considering another big girl bed ... I don't want her to feel like we are taking her bed away from her though.
  • Our transition was quite smooth.  He still won't get out of his toddler bed without me or DH coming into the room.  He just yells "mama, dada, mama, dada" until one of us comes in.  Hopefully you have a baby like that:)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We made the transition at 17 months and it was really smooth. It is easier when they can't open the bedroom door and there were several times he fell asleep on the floor at the door. I would let him cry for 5 minutes and then put him back in bed, he was normal after about 3 days and now loves his bed.

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"