Attachment Parenting

Outward Facing Babywearing

I saw this posted on Facebook and thought it might be interesting to discuss.

https://www.ecobabysteps.com/2013/07/06/common-questions-about-forward-facing-baby-carriers/

I was under the impression that there is a known connection between hip displasia and use of non-ergonomic carriers both outward and inward facing. This article seems to say that that claim is unsubstantiated, but that they are less comfortable.

I know you can face outward in a Beco and still have the ergonomic seat.
imageimage

Re: Outward Facing Babywearing

• I have not found well supported claims, scientifically studied claims, that carries with the legs unsupported will cause dysplasia in a child not prone to the problem.  I've seen lots of blog postings, "parenting website" articles, and forum discussions.  But no source material - no solid evidence.  I certainly wouldn't do it with a child with suspected dysplasia, or loose joints, but that's from an over abundance of caution.

There is SOLID evidence that very tight, straight, swaddles that include the legs (like a papoose on a board as was used in Native American cultures in some places) CAN increase the rate of hip dysplasia, but this is a fundamentally different physical position and pressure than a forward facing "crotch dangler" position.  Comparing the two is silly.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks, @TiffanyBerry!

I found this online too:
    www.hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/prevention/baby-carriers-seats-and-other-equipment/
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Even that particular site cites no studies that suggest those positions are actually linked to dysplasia. And their language is very couched: "may contribute to". It seems like the current state is one where academic theory makes it reasonable to think there could be a connection, but there is lacking scientific evidence or study to back up the theory.
    IMG_8355
  • There is no evidence that outward facing carriers cause hip dysplasia.  That said, I strongly advise against outward facing carries for a number of reasons that we do have evidence for.  One, it's just not comfortable for the wearer relative to carries with baby facing the body (either front or back) because baby's weight is hanging off of you vs. snugged into your center of gravity.  One also needs to be aware that a forward facing baby can't "hide" or turn away from stimulation - important as young infants can quickly get overstimulated.  And I won't lie, I truly cringe when I see someone walking around with a FF baby who is sleeping - that is a suffocation risk plan and simple because baby is not properly supported.

I don't think people who chose to FF in a carrier are stupid or are harming their child (except if they are allowing baby to sleep like that or put a newborn with no trunk control FF).  

Really my biggest beef with FF is the belief that babies won't be happy unless they are facing out.  Babies will turn to look even from a facing in carry - it's not like they can't move!  And if they aren't old enough/strong enough to turn to look, they aren't strong enough to be FF anyway.  Yes, there's the rare baby who is more content in a different position but I've never met one who wasn't satisfied with a hip carry or high back carry instead.

But yeah, hip dysplasia is a non-issue.  Although...I do think it's fair to say that knee to knee support is more comfortable and likely "better" for baby than is the legs dangling position - whether facing in or out.
  • ncbelle said:
    Really my biggest beef with FF is the belief that babies won't be happy unless they are facing out.  Babies will turn to look even from a facing in carry - it's not like they can't move!  And if they aren't old enough/strong enough to turn to look, they aren't strong enough to be FF anyway.  Yes, there's the rare baby who is more content in a different position but I've never met one who wasn't satisfied with a hip carry or high back carry instead.

This was my baby.  We TRIED facing in a number of ways.  I didn't have anything that would do a hip carry, and she may well have been ok with that, but I wasn't ready for it yet.  And neither of us was ready for a high back carry.  More knowledge would have been nice (and more knowledge of lending libraries for carriers - I don't think many people know about those, even if there is a local one), of course, because perhaps a hip carry might have worked.  DD wouldn't tolerate facing in until she was more like a year and a half old.  (Which, really, just seems ridiculously bizarre to me.  But whatever...)

My experience is also why I don't judge FF'ing moms.  Well, ok, I do once the kid is like 8mo old and it just looks uncomfortable for mom, but that's not a "dude, you're harming your baby" judgement, but more of a "dude, why are you killing your back" judgement - the same way I judge someone who insists on doing anything with poor ergonomics and in pain. :)
    IMG_8355
  • ncbelle said:

This was my baby.  We TRIED facing in a number of ways.  I didn't have anything that would do a hip carry, and she may well have been ok with that, but I wasn't ready for it yet.  And neither of us was ready for a high back carry.  More knowledge would have been nice (and more knowledge of lending libraries for carriers - I don't think many people know about those, even if there is a local one), of course, because perhaps a hip carry might have worked.  DD wouldn't tolerate facing in until she was more like a year and a half old.  (Which, really, just seems ridiculously bizarre to me.  But whatever...)

My experience is also why I don't judge FF'ing moms.  Well, ok, I do once the kid is like 8mo old and it just looks uncomfortable for mom, but that's not a "dude, you're harming your baby" judgement, but more of a "dude, why are you killing your back" judgement - the same way I judge someone who insists on doing anything with poor ergonomics and in pain. :)
    This.  DD has always had difficulty being carried.  I tried the Moby, which she never took to.  I tried a ring sling, which worked if she was already asleep or if I was moving CONSTANTLY.  I tried the Ergo, which worked for walks and hikes, but not for things like housework or grocery shopping. She would tolerate it for maybe 15 minutes, and then she'd fuss and try to wriggle out of it. Then, one day, at around 7 months old, I tried facing her out.  Voila!  Instant happy baby.  She really and truly enjoys facing her environment.  She gets tactile stimulation from holding things.  She babbles and smiles.  She looks at herself when we pass a mirror.  It has really opened up worlds for us in terms of my ability to get things done.  If she seems super sleepy or if a situation seems too in-her-face, I'll wear her in-facing.  But she's just not that tolerant of it.  The websites can say what they will, but DD does not act stressed or overwhelmed in an out-facing carrier.
  • And now there's apparently a new outward-facing ergo! Check it out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=48fAoummgxQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D48fAoummgxQ
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"