March 2012 Moms

Ugh, what a crappy weekend for the kid (and us, too)

I'm just kind of venting here so bear with me!

On Friday we had family photos. The photographer is a friend of a friend. My friend insisted that she had had wonderful experiences with her and it was a cheap mini session (under $200) so I thought I'd give it a go. I should point out that I work in the creative field and have been a designer and art director so I've worked with a lot of photographers and photographs so I tend to be a bit of a snob about photography. I'm only an amateur photographer myself but I can definitely evaluate a good photo and how to set up for certain conditions. We started taking photos at 6 and the the sun was setting fast. This girl brought no lights and never appeared to change any settings to compensate. She showed me a sample and they were DARK. This tells me that she's going to overprocess the crap out of these photos. I'm hoping for a few good ones and trying to stay positive but I guess we'll see. I know, first world problems.

I had forgotten to bring the cash for the photographer so I ran to the ATM while my husband took Alexander to the playground. @rocknrollfriend you'll commiserate with this. My husband takes him down a slide but doesn't realize that there's a sharp curve at the end so Alexander's leg gets pulled back and twisted pretty bad. I come back with the money and my kid is screaming bloody murder. My husband downplays it and tells me that he's just tired and cold but when we get home, he can't put weight on it and then he fesses up to what happened. A still has full range of motion and it's late so I decided to give him some ibuprofen and reevaluate in the morning. In the morning, he can stand but he keeps saying "Ow" and is limping badly. 6 hours in urgent care later, it isn't broken but it's definitely sore and sprained. He's still limping on it though nowhere as bad as it was.

Sunday my husband had plans so I was home with Alexander. A woke up about 2 hours earlier than normal and was coughing like crazy. I did not plan for an early wakeup and stayed up wayyy too late. Now, we haven't had a blowout since A was about 5 months old but we had TWO on Sunday. The first one got all over both of us. I threw him in the tub after the second. He got out of the tub and peed all over the floor. I took him for a bike ride in his carrier and he fell asleep. He woke up upset and a little warm and proceeded to cry nonstop for almost an hour despite my best efforts to calm him down. This is SO unlike him and I just didn't know what to do for him. At the same time, I let one of the dogs out and he came back with a softball size lump of poop stuck to his butt (they're Old English Sheepdogs and everything sticks to them if their hair isn't trimmed tight on the butt). I had to put A in his crib to CIO for a bit while I tended to the poo mountain on the dog butt. Luckily, the time alone calmed Alexander down a bit and the ibuprofen kicked in so he was a bit more relaxed. I ended up taking him to my mom's just so I could get out of the house and go to the bathroom by myself for 5 minutes!

This morning he woke up full blown feverish and my husband is sick, too. I had it last week so I guess I'll be taking care of everyone for a few days. Ugh!
I can't complain because we almost never have bad/sick days with this kid but maybe that's why I have such a hard time handling it when I do. Well, all the poop didn't help, though, either.

Anyone else want to whine?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ugh, what a crappy weekend for the kid (and us, too)

• Oh my goodness! You poor things! That sounds like a tough weekend. I am glad Alexander's leg isn't broken, tho!
  • Oh no! Poor baby, and mama. I would be so made at your DH for not telling me right away! I'm glad it's only sprained and I hope it heals quickly
    Unfortunately I can commiserate a little too well, as W got a fever Friday night too! I am so confused though because other than being a little cranky and sleeping like crap, which could very well be due to the cast anyway, he doesn't have any other symptoms. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    Thankfully I cannot commiserate with the poop! I would be flipping out just from that! We haven't had any poop issues in a long time. I would imagine it would be super hard to deal with at this point.
    Ugh, I hope everybody feels better soon! Good for you for taking a break for yourself, that is so important. Hang in there!
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh my! The only positive I see in this post is that Alexander's leg wasnt broken. Oh men! I hope he gets well soon and you have a better weekend this time around :(

• eyenigheyenigh member
    edited October 2013
    I should say, he never lied. He told me what happened but it was more like "He twisted his leg and it definitely hurt him but I checked him out and he's okay." He's thorough and clear headed in these type of situations so I didn't question it much. I just didn't get all the full details until I started grilling him. Like most men, my stupid husband sometimes has too much of an "everything'll be fine" attitude instead of a mom's precautionary "better safe than sorry" outlook. He's a dummy but he isn't a liar, lol.

• I'm so sorry you had a crappy weekend.  That always stinks.  I hope your poor baby feels better soon and I hope your pictures turn out better than you expect!

• Hope the lil guy feels better soon and hopefully she will surprise you and you will have some nice pics afterall. Hugz

PS men are awful at details till you wring them out of them, they just dont think details are as important as women do for the most part... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"