Natural Birth

How to choose a doula?

I haven't posted on this board before, but I'm a first time mom due in January. I'm planning a natural birth with a midwife group in a hospital.  

So I met with 4 doulas over the past couple of weeks and I'm having such a hard time deciding which one to hire!  I like each one for different reasons.  If you have used a doula before, what characteristics did you find most valuable?  I realize this may be different for everyone, but having never done this before, I'm really at a loss and could use some advice.  How would you rate the importance of things like experience, having had a natural birth themselves, familiarity with the Bradley method (we're taking Bradley classes), having delivered with my midwives before, etc?  They all charge exactly the same (we have a tight budget so I only met with people we could afford) and offer nearly identical services.

TIA!

Re: How to choose a doula?

• I went with my gut and who I honestly felt most comfortable around and talking too. (Of course after first determing their qualification and that I felt like they knew what was going on.) Also when I said what I hoped for in birth, did their response feel right to me, did it match me, encourage me? Im a ftm and am soooo glad I hired my doula. I had my birth experience I hoped for and couldn't have gone natural had she not been there. :) best of luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like the PP I went with my gut. I only interviewed 2 and choose the one I felt the most comfortable with.  I wanted someone who would be strong and supportive, especially when/if I doubted myself during labor.  I liked the doula who gave me a straighforward, honest answers to my questions.  We took the Bradley classes.  I liked that my doula had taken the classes with her first, so she was familiar with them.  We wanted our doula to be more hands off and assist my H.  She was OK with that and understood our wishes.  She was amazing during my labor and delivery.  There was a point where I asked for a shot of pain medication because the pressure of LO in the birth canal was so intense.  She talked me through and was very positive, which is exactly what I wanted.  We hope to use her again when we have #2.

The things that you mention (experience, having had a natural birth themselves, familiarity with the Bradley method (we're taking Bradley classes), having delivered with my midwives before) are important but I don't think any one is more important that the other.
    IMO labor is an unpredictable event so experience is important but it is likely that you may encounter something that your doula has never experienced before.  Also, I don't think a doula has to have had a med free birth or even have kids to be a great doula.  Some woman are called to be doulas and do a great job before they have those experiences themselves. 
    My big advice is to go with your gut.  Who do you feel the most comfortable with?  Who does your H feel the most comfortable with?  Who do you connect with the most?  You want someone who you feel comfortable and confident with.  This woman is going to see you at your lowest low, and your highest high so make sure she is someone you like and connect with!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"